The Cycling Thread!

D-13

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2013/jul/17/tour-de-france-twitter-killed-highlights-show

Tour de France: How social media killed the highlights show

As a lad, Matthew Loveday would gobble down his tea in time to watch the Tour de France highlights on telly, blissfully unaware of who had won the day's stage. Then Twitter came along and ruined everything Can't blame TRF. Not a peep here.

Not much riding for me this year: I've had a few overtime death marches at work (188 hours total, effectively an extra 4.7 weeks of work that I would've rather spent in the saddle :) ), and I think my new BP med (ACE inhibitor + diuretic) is screwing up my hydration/electrolytes. My legs are cramping up around 20-30 miles despite pounding the Gatorade and shoveling down Gu's equivalent of Shot Bloks. My longest ride this year is only 58 miles, so I haven't even done a metric, let alone a full century.

Today got over 90 degrees in my neck of the woods (I wasn't sure if it would get that hot again in 2013) and I was able to get in close to 32 miles. I really enjoyed the first 5 miles, but was ready to call a taxi by mile 10. The mixture of hot humid air and ragweed pollen wasn't the easiest stuff to breathe. :)

At only 1037 miles so far, this year will likely beat out my current Hall of Shame of only 1741 miles in 2009. I've missed a number of rides that I've done every year for the last three years.

The Tri-State Century (MA-NH-ME) is coming up in a few weeks, and it's broken 90 degrees 2 of the last 3 years, making the cold Atlantic feel pretty good at the end of the ride. :)

Chris Horner; Ponce de Leon or Lance's replacement?

Chris Horner 41 years old, just 3 seconds off the lead in the Vuelta with two stages left. He's chewing up men 10-15 years younger than him including Nibali the current leader whom Horner scorched up a climb today. I want to believe, i really do, but 41 years old? A man who never had a top ten finish in a major tour yet? A rider who earlier in his career had to come back to the states because he couldn't keep up with 2nd tier riders? Why would he risk so much? Did Miguel Indurain's pep talk to Horner really work that much?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/09/12/nibali-clings-to-vuelta-lead-as-chris-horner-gains/2806353/

I dug up this thread because... well, I went cycling for the first time in about 2 years and today I finally managed to do something I wanted to do since I was little... I cycled down the promenade here in Clacton! :D

Not too sore. The terrain is pretty flat here so it was a nice gentle ease back in the saddle!

I tried out my new Specialized Expert cycling shoes today and what a difference they were compared to my 10 year old Sidi shoes. They were so light and kept my feet straight which is huge after having my left ankle surgically reconstructed. I never wanted to stop as I rode along the ocean side in Palm Beach FL. My legs were perfect position for power strokes and kept my form throughout the almost two hour ride. I only stopped when I felt a cramp coming on all this after working 9 hours last night.

Only one snot rocket as I listened through Grace Under Pressure tour live and RUSH compilation, loved the remix of EARTHSHINE.

• Like 1

I tried out my new Specialized Expert cycling shoes today and what a difference they were compared to my 10 year old Sidi shoes. They were so light and kept my feet straight which is huge after having my left ankle surgically reconstructed. I never wanted to stop as I rode along the ocean side in Palm Beach FL. My legs were perfect position for power strokes and kept my form throughout the almost two hour ride. I only stopped when I felt a cramp coming on all this after working 9 hours last night.

Only one snot rocket as I listened through Grace Under Pressure tour live and RUSH compilation, loved the remix of EARTHSHINE.

I'm still on my non-dial specialized shoes but definitely need a new pair. Since the dial is offset to one side, is there any discomfort or pressure from the dial that creates a hot spot or pinching? Or does is the tightening well balanced throughout the shoe?

Good question my situation is that my left foot is larger than my right. So I have to set that dial differently from the right. Throughtout the ride I felt no pain, discomfort or any pinching. I wasn't focused on that particular issue but nothing of the sort comes to my mind during or after my ride. Oh yes the dial is off to one side felt no discomfort and tightened it well, it felt balanced throughout the shoe. On my next ride pay more attention to those issues you asked about.

I was just amazed that shoes (size 46wide) that light could fit so well. Well worth the $200, I needed good shoes after surgery to ride in the best comfort possible.

Good question my situation is that my left foot is larger than my right. So I have to set that dial differently from the right. Throughtout the ride I felt no pain, discomfort or any pinching. I wasn't focused on that particular issue but nothing of the sort comes to my mind during or after my ride. Oh yes the dial is off to one side felt no discomfort and tightened it well, it felt balanced throughout the shoe. On my next ride pay more attention to those issues you asked about.

I was just amazed that shoes (size 46wide) that light could fit so well. Well worth the $200, I needed good shoes after surgery to ride in the best comfort possible.

Woah. I just ordered the same shoes. Down to the size (I have very wide feet and that makes buying any shoes a chore, let alone something as particular as these). The fact you say they are worth the money bodes well for me, I hope.

Best of luck with the healing!

Question for the more advanced and long time riders here.....

About two weeks ago, I took a pretty bad spill. The end result was a slight fracture of the 6th and 7th ribs on my right side, some pretty impressive bruising, and a lot of tenderness. The ribs appear to be healing nicely as they no longer ache and I never had any breathing issues, so I consider myself lucky. What I am finding now, though, is the intercostal muscles are barking pretty badly and the pain moves back and forth along the muscle depending upon what I do or how I move.

I really want to get out for a decent ride, but yesterday I tooled around the neighborhood for a few moments to see how things would be and I realized pretty quickly that a long ride was a bad idea.

So, for the question. Actually, it's a few....

Anyone ever had this kind of injury (I assume it is fairly common)? How long should I expect to be down for the count? The doctor says 6 to 8 weeks, but I am hoping he is just being uber conservative. Any suggestions for the muscle issue beyond traditional therapy?

I've been extremely lucky and have never taken a spill on my bike. The closest i came was when my bike developed a bad speed-wobble / shimmy at 48 mph. My friend riding behind me said he was already thinking what he was going to say at my funeral watching me somehow bring it under control. Scariest feeling ever.

I would be safe and try it out week to week. Ride and if there is any discomfort then stop immediately and wait another week to try again. When you finally get to the point where there is no pain spend a couple of weeks doing shorter rides until you are confident you won't re-injure it. If possible avoid prolonged climbing as that will really test those ribs.

I've been extremely lucky and have never taken a spill on my bike. The closest i came was when my bike developed a bad speed-wobble / shimmy at 48 mph. My friend riding behind me said he was already thinking what he was going to say at my funeral watching me somehow bring it under control. Scariest feeling ever.

I would be safe and try it out week to week. Ride and if there is any discomfort then stop immediately and wait another week to try again. When you finally get to the point where there is no pain spend a couple of weeks doing shorter rides until you are confident you won't re-injure it. If possible avoid prolonged climbing as that will really test those ribs.

I couldn't stand it any longer. Yesterday, I broke down and took the hybrid for a ride (the geometry of that bike seemed to be less difficult on the rib cage). I ended up putting in a short, but comfortable 19 miles. The actual round trip would have been 27 miles, but I decided not to push my limits and hopped a bus for the final portion back to the truck. I really thought that I would be hella sore later in the day or this morning, but I actually ended up feeling pretty good.... better than I had in a while. A friend in the medical field suggested that I might have actually stretched out some lingering knots in the intercostals, but also suggested that I got lucky and chastised me for riding too early. I promised not to ride again until early next week.

PS Never had a wipe out? Not even the first time you tried clip-ins? I am impressed. Truth be told, my only real spills have been on the trail bike. That's what gets me in trouble.

I couldn't stand it any longer. Yesterday, I broke down and took the hybrid for a ride (the geometry of that bike seemed to be less difficult on the rib cage). I ended up putting in a short, but comfortable 19 miles. The actual round trip would have been 27 miles, but I decided not to push my limits and hopped a bus for the final portion back to the truck. I really thought that I would be hella sore later in the day or this morning, but I actually ended up feeling pretty good.... better than I had in a while. A friend in the medical field suggested that I might have actually stretched out some lingering knots in the intercostals, but also suggested that I got lucky and chastised me for riding too early. I promised not to ride again until early next week.

PS Never had a wipe out? Not even the first time you tried clip-ins? I am impressed. Truth be told, my only real spills have been on the trail bike. That's what gets me in trouble.

Glad to hear its feeling better - As for me no wipe outs - But my adult son made up for my lack of spills - When i first got him riding with me he fell 8 times in two weeks due to clipping out issues at stop signs. The first time he did a metric century with me he crashed into a barrier in the first mile. One was my fault, i dropped my water bottle and he ate it. By the way i'm flying into San Antonio tomorrow evening. Any good restaurants on the River Walk?

Glad to hear its feeling better - As for me no wipe outs - But my adult son made up for my lack of spills - When i first got him riding with me he fell 8 times in two weeks due to clipping out issues at stop signs. The first time he did a metric century with me he crashed into a barrier in the first mile. One was my fault, i dropped my water bottle and he ate it. By the way i'm flying into San Antonio tomorrow evening. Any good restaurants on the River Walk?

Sorry about getting to this late.

Keep in mind most of the places on the Riverwalk are tourist oriented, especially the Tex Mex. The food will be overpriced and okay, but not spectacular. Still some places you might want to look at on the River:

* Any of the Tex Mex places.... they are basically all the same and take very little risks with their style and menu

* Paesanos (for Italian)... they are above average for the River

* Republic of Texas (for pub food).... they are merely average, but they get the job done

* Little Rhein Steakhouse in LaVillita.... well above average (including price)

* The Fig Tree in LaVillita.... well above average and some high end food (and price)

* Q inside the Hyatt (for a variety).... this place is actually somewhere I very much enjoy. It's a bit pricey, but I have yet to have a bad experience

* Biga (variety).... pricey, but pretty good

* Bohannons (steakhouse).... pricey, but pretty good

I would venture a little out of the downtown area for some better places we locals enjoy...

* Rosario's in Southtown (fusion Tex Mex).... very good, eclectic style

* Blue Star Brewery not far from Southtown off South Alamo (pub food).... pretty good and some home brew

* Liberty Bar also off South Alamo (various but mostly pub food)... not the old leaning building, as they have moved, so less of an experience but still good food

*The Luxury along Jones and the Museum Reach of the River (basically a glorified food truck)..... but very good food

*La Gloria at the Pearl (street Mexican and stylized Tex Mex)... it has a more continental/street Mexican style and is fun

* Cured at the Pearl (meat, meat, and more meat).... very good stuff

* La Fonda on Main (Tex Mex).... pretty much the true San Antonio flair

Beware.... you are here during Fiesta.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

When I first started out using and learning how to clipping in and out of my pedals falling was commonplace. I even learned how to fall properly. Once at a light I was clipped in on one pedal, I got distracted by a redhead walking by and fell over unto the hood of a car next to me. That doesn't happen now, I can clip in without looking down. I ride every day now back and forth to work unless it rains. It hasn't rained for prolonged periods here in Palm Beach in ages. I use the rides as time trials riding a high cadence as fast as I can.

In your signature is that an image of L 'Alpe D' Huez? If so that's one of bucket list as well.

Peace

Edited by g under p

When I first started out using and learning how to clipping in and out of my pedals falling was commonplace. I even learned how to fall properly. Once at a light I was clipped in on one pedal, I got distracted by a redhead walking by and fell over unto the hood of a car next to me. That doesn't happen now, I can clip in without looking down. I ride every day now back and forth to work unless it rains. It hasn't rained for prolonged periods here in Palm Beach in ages. I use the rides as time trials riding a high cadence as fast as I can.

In your signature is that an image of L 'Alpe D' Huez? If so that's one of bucket list as well.

Peace

I hope the read-head felt sorry for you and gave you her number :P

That is the Stelvio Pass in Italy - They usually stick it in the Giro every other year. Every year, the pass is closed to motor vehicles on one day in late August when about 8,000 cyclists ride up the Stelvio.

This one goes out to the cycling expert out there......why is it sometimes when one is trying to cycle their best times it turns out to just be average? Then on other rides while just riding relaxed I turn in my BEST times ever two days now in a row. Why does that happen?

I MUST be getting in better shape.

This one goes out to the cycling expert out there......why is it sometimes when one is trying to cycle their best times it turns out to just be average? Then on other rides while just riding relaxed I turn in my BEST times ever two days now in a row. Why does that happen?

I MUST be getting in better shape.

I had one of my best rides when I had three IPA's 2 hours before i rode. I forgot I told my son we were riding and didn't want to let him down so i thought i'll just suck but at least i'm going. I beat him up a hill climb that i have never beat him before on. Relaxed states i guess take all the pressure off.

Not sure if ep anyone is watching the tour this year. Anyone else think that cavendish was a jerk today for not trying to put Martin in yellow? I thought Martin was going to cry during interview. I've always found mark to be a grade a jerk anyways.

Not sure if ep anyone is watching the tour this year. Anyone else think that cavendish was a jerk today for not trying to put Martin in yellow? I thought Martin was going to cry during interview. I've always found mark to be a grade a jerk anyways.

I've never liked Cavendish - He's dirty (in the sprints), selfish and the only reason he thanks his team after a win is because he knows they'll stop riding for him. Sick of Phil Liggett kissing his arse all the time. The only reason I'm thankful his loser ass pulled up on the line today is because Cancellara got Yellow. Every time Cavendish crashes out I sadly do a little fist pump into my living room air. Pleased to see Sagan get a very close second. Nibali obviously drugged last year with all the scandals surrounding Astana this year. And the fact that he has done absolutely nothing this year. Just watching him take four stages last year without even breathing out of his mouth at the finishes was enough proof for me that was another tainted tour. Edited by alphseeker

What a horrible stage today. Exciting finish by Froome and happy to see Alberto "my meats tainted" Contador suck the last kilometer. But that crash was sickening - Cancellara looked like a NASCAR car flipping a over a few times.

https://www.youtube....h?v=2SaY5YCMS5U

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/2000_zpsnrhhsgow.jpg

This is the rider who caused it.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/2A47AD6300000578-3151121-image-a-23_1436211551770_zpsphh9goug.jpg

Edited by alphseeker

What a horrible stage today. Exciting finish by Froome and happy to see Alberto "my meats tainted" Contador suck the last kilometer. But that crash was sickening - Cancellara looked like a NASCAR car flipping a over a few times.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/2A47AD6300000578-3151121-image-a-23_1436211551770_zpsphh9goug.jpg

That was a brutal crash. The insight from the guys in studio was great. Made it easy to see why they had to slow and stop the race.

That was a brutal crash. The insight from the guys in studio was great. Made it easy to see why they had to slow and stop the race.

Exactly - All the ambulances were tied up - crazy. I love having Jens Voight give his insight. It's just what the crew needed. I think it's time for Paul and Phil to step aside. Even Jackie Stewart knew when to stop calling races.

I can't see the video and would love to see what caused this crash.

The guy in the above picture with his back all torn up (William Bonnet) touched wheels with the rider in front of him. The peloton was flying at 35 MPH trying to get their team leaders to the front before the first narrow short climb. Bonnett slid at least 80 feet on the asphalt taking out dozens of riders around him.