The Cycling Thread!

D-13

Started training for the Loop The Lake For Literacy....116 miles in February. Setting up a series of 60-70 mile rides to get ready I can't wait.

Started training for the Loop The Lake For Literacy....116 miles in February. Setting up a series of 60-70 mile rides to get ready I can't wait.

A Loop Around Lake Okeechobee - sounds cool

So far in December I've logged 360 miles - today was 42 mile loop with 3100' of climbing - for San Diego it was freezing -

Those wintertime (for me, anyways) centuries sound awesome. If I had enough money to fly me and my bike around the country, I'd be there.

The biggest factor that keeps me indoors during the winter is cold feet, so I used some of my Christmas bonus on new pedals, shoes, and booties today. On a 28-32 degree ride, my fingers were a little cold and I thought I'd gotten frostbite on my unmentionables, but my feet stayed warm the whole time.

Next on the list will be warmer pants and lobster gloves, and maybe a helmet cover and a heavier balaclava.

Have fun on the Stagecoach and "Loop the Lake" centuries. :sundog:

The biggest factor that keeps me indoors during the winter is cold feet, so I used some of my Christmas bonus on new pedals, shoes, and booties today.

My wife just ok'd me to stock on on some winter gear although it's not as extreme as your's But Saturday was the coldest i've ever ridden in - it was 45 degrees in the mountains and the 4 mile downhill probably dropped it into the thirties. I could not feel my feet for two hours - Over here its all about thin base layers because it can go from 40 to 60 and visa versa in just a few minutes - I'm not into super brand names so Performance Bikes winter clothing is cheap and effective,

Yesterday i picked up a wind / water resistant outer jacket for just $70.00 - It's ugly but i don't care :D

Perfect cycling weather here in the Palm Beaches Florida. The ocean is wavy with a northern breeze 78 degrees. I did an easy 23 mile ride on C-day just to stretch out the legs and catch the beach scenes.

On my ride today i ran into this beautiful hawk sadly he was missing an eye and looked a little dazed - I offered him a piece of cliff bar but even he's not that stupid to eat it -Fortunately someone else had already called it in so as i was leaving an animal rescue truck showed up - As for the ride well 66 degrees / no wind and not a cloud in the sky - wish i was in Kansas - :LOL:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/hawk_zpsb452f4cf.jpghttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/photo_edited-1_zps5734214c.jpg

This is "the Wall" in the mountains of san diego part of the great western loop - i have done it three times the last week - each day is about 4000' of climbing - the wall is a .5 mile stretch at 15%, sadly it's at the top of everything so to get to this point you have about 7 miles of climbing - there is a little flower and shoe next to it - i hope that didn't mean someone like me had a heart attack on it - http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/IMG_5164_zps93c62da1.jpg Edited by alphseeker

Yes it does snow in San Diego (county)

This is the Cat. 1 Kitchen Creek road 11 miles of climbing - That's my son under-dressed for the occasion - We froze -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/snow-1_zpsa933178c.jpg

I did a short 14.3 mile ride today, starting at 30 degrees and finishing at 26 degrees. My fingers were hurting the first 8 miles or so. I've definitely got to get some better gloves/mittens.

The days are slowly getting longer (it's dark at 4:50 instead of 4:20 now) and it's supposed to break 40 degrees the next 3 days. :sundog: Even if I finish in the dark, I'm hoping to bag some 20-25 mile rides after work the next few days.

Stagecoach Century this Saturday - 30 degrees at the beginning ending around 56 degrees not a cloud in the sky - I am going to have to force myself to drink when it's cold - I hate drinking when i don't feel thirsty but i must - i'll take some pics to share with the three or four of you who care :D

The great thing about this century is it's 50 miles straight out to the desert and 50 miles straight back and there are 4 rest stops both ways which means there's a rest stop every 12 miles, no excuse to run out of fuel -

Edited by alphseeker

30 degrees won't be a lot of fun, but 56 sounds pretty pleasant for January.

Hopefully it will warm up quickly enough to tough it out the first hour or two and leave the heavy cold weather gear at home, or that they let you drop excess gear at the rest stops to pick up at the end of the ride.

Have a good ride. :sundog:

I didn't ride today, but I rode the two days before that. It's warmer now at 930pm than it was at 3pm earlier today. If the warming trend continues into tomorrow, I'll definitely ride tomorrow afternoon after work.

I got a written warning today for aggressive passing/lane changing (yeah, I deserved it) which is really making me think about bicycling to/from work once the overnight lows get above 40 degrees. 4 hours of cycling a day will be tough, but probably preferable to enduring 2-3 hours of Boston Metro traffic.

30 degrees won't be a lot of fun, but 56 sounds pretty pleasant for January.

Hopefully it will warm up quickly enough to tough it out the first hour or two and leave the heavy cold weather gear at home, or that they let you drop excess gear at the rest stops to pick up at the end of the ride.

Have a good ride. :sundog:

I didn't ride today, but I rode the two days before that. It's warmer now at 930pm than it was at 3pm earlier today. If the warming trend continues into tomorrow, I'll definitely ride tomorrow afternoon after work.

I got a written warning today for aggressive passing/lane changing (yeah, I deserved it) which is really making me think about bicycling to/from work once the overnight lows get above 40 degrees. 4 hours of cycling a day will be tough, but probably preferable to enduring 2-3 hours of Boston Metro traffic.

I love Boston, was just there in October but i don't evny you the commute nightmare that's for sure. I actually walked from Fenway to the Blackrose pub one long morning and it was the most beautiful walk i've had in years - right through the middle of the park - But getting in a cab or bus was horrible -

As far as my ride, yes they have a clothes drop but only at rest stop one which is about 30 minutes into the ride also after climbing so i should be warmed up by then, i hope. I'll keep my jacket on but i'll probably shed my thermal base layer-

20 miles today, longest ride of the new year.

As it was in the low 40s at the start of the ride, I was able to go lighter on the cold weather gear. I don't know why, but it seems like every piece of cold weather gear I put on knocks 0.25-0.5 MPH off my average speed. I left two of the heavier pieces off today, and rode a good 1-1.5 avg MPH faster.

By the time I made it out to the back roads the sun had nearly set, but I tried to get a picture at 16-18 MPH anyways.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/8522/0110131632.th.jpg

20 miles today, longest ride of the new year.

As it was in the low 40s at the start of the ride, I was able to go lighter on the cold weather gear. I don't know why, but it seems like every piece of cold weather gear I put on knocks 0.25-0.5 MPH off my average speed. I left two of the heavier pieces off today, and rode a good 1-1.5 avg MPH faster.

By the time I made it out to the back roads the sun had nearly set, but I tried to get a picture at 16-18 MPH anyways.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/8522/0110131632.th.jpg

And i complain about a my weather :o

stagecoach century 30 degrees at the start not a cloud in the sky - 100 miles 4600 feet of climbing -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/photo1_zps9493c71c.jpg

My son hopes he's ready

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/photo2_zpse886b252.jpg

Turn around after 50 miles of climbing - UGGHHHH

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/photo3_zps06d1f78a.jpg

Our gold medal - we finished and i can still manage a smile ---

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/photo4_zps55d51f88.jpg

Edited by alphseeker

:cheers:

Looks like a gorgeous start. How warm did it get?

We had a lot of heavy humidity and rain in 2012 (outright rain on 2 or 3 of the centuries I did), and I can't remember starting a century on a morning that looked like that in quite awhile.

After a wet and crappy weekend it was really nice today, sunny, dry, and in the mid-50s. Unfortunately work got in the way and I only had time for 30 miles.

It only got to 50 degrees which was perfect -However, It was really dry and for the first 50 miles i wasn't drinking enough because of the cold so i was feeling a little bonked - at all the rest stops they were passing out free endurolytes which i don't usually take unless it's in the 80's but i needed something and so at the 50 mile mark i took two at the next two stops and they saved my life - the last 50 miles was much more enjoyable than the first - At mile 42 there was a 3 mile climb with a max of 20% grade which killed me but on mile 85 we had a similar grade, Sweeney Pass which was no problem because of the endurolytes -

Overall it was a beautiful day - Nice to have a son that hangs back with me on the tough climbs - He can easily be a cat. 3 rider if he wanted to be but he hung back with me :)

Edited by alphseeker

I got robbed today: I woke up around 10:30 and it was 55 degrees out. I figured I could take my time waking up and getting to the store to buy Gatorade, and get in a reasonably warm 62-75 miles from noon to 5.

By noontime it had dropped below 50, then the clouds moved in. 20% chance of rain with a forecast of 30 degrees by sunset. :doh:

By 3pm the sun came back out and the temperature climbed from 40 to 45, and I went and did 23.5 miles. Very clear and sunny, but very windy towards the end, with the temperature around 37 degrees at the end. An hour later and my fingers are still tingling.

that sucks I hate planning a certain ride and something screws it up. the great freeze of San Diego is over today it was 72 and perfect I did 34 miles and can't believe the conditioning I gained from last week's century . I improved tremendously for my old self .

It looks like the Groundhog was full of road apples this year. :boo hiss: I thought we had 2 more weeks of winter, but it's 4 and counting, with snow just about every week. :boo hiss:

I only made it out twice so far all February. I did 14 miles last Tuesday and 16 miles today, with 133 total for the year.

Oh well, the days are getting longer, and Daylight Savings will be back soon. I'm really looking forward to kicking off 2013 with a lot of miles. Once it stops snowing, at any rate. :)

Time to resurrect this thread again because "Spartacus is ruling the classics again" :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Last week, Tour of Flanders:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/fabian-wins-sm-659x440flanders_zps2aab8cd4.jpg

This week the ultimate "queen of the classics," "The Hell of the North," Paris Roubaix:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/Podium-WEB1-658x440_zps9fefa8a6.jpg

2 weeks ago the E3 Harelbeke

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/fabian-wins-659x440_zps5be04b30.jpg

Edited by alphseeker

Tough start on the year for me: For the first time in 3 years, I missed the Spring Century last week, and it looks like I'll miss the Kings Tour of the Quabbin in a few weeks. I'm having trouble getting the 30 mile rides done, let alone the 62-100-124 mile rides.

Oh well, it looks like summer is finally here.

Long time, no see, TRF (I'm hardly on here..!)

Been riding a lot this year - training for the century again come September. I am in worse shape this year since I did not run all winter due to chronic foot issues.

The best thing is I have become friends with more cyclists! Last year, I showed up to events and didn't know anyone - or the ones I did know where triathletes and wayyy ahead of me in the pack. I'm really growing into the cycling communities around me and it feels great.

One thing I am intrigued with are these touring rides that go on for a few days, up to a week. Riding 60 miles on average a day, camping out at night. I've never done hard core camping by any means but the idea sounds cool. If I could hook up with one that had support and transport available, that would be ideal for the first one out. Not sure about this season, but surely the next!