The 'New' Cars.......

Can't wait for this one......anyone else planning on attending a show?

Got mine.....Las Vegas, May 19th '06

New tune (video) and interveiw at this link....... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

LOS ANGELES, March 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Seventeen years after the last tour by The Cars -- one of the most successful and influential bands of the late '70s/early '80s "New Wave" era -- two of its seminal members have customized a modern model that's ready to hit the road this spring in the form of The New Cars. Joining The Cars' original guitarist Elliot Easton and keyboardist Greg Hawkes for Road Rage Tour 2006 Presented by VH1 Classic, will be an all-star group of rockers: vocalist/guitarist Todd Rundgren, fellow Utopia bassist/vocalist Kasim Sulton and former Tubes drummer Prairie Prince.

Newly inducted Rock & Roll Hall of Famers, Blondie will ride shotgun with The New Cars, performing classics from their new Greatest Hits -- Sound & Vision album (Capitol/EMI) which includes the new hit "Rapture Riders," a mash-up of Blondie's "Rapture" and The Doors' "Riders on the Storm." The Los Angeles Times calls it "one of the best mash-ups ever produced." Other classics on the new CD include "Heart of Glass," "Call Me," "The Tide is High" and "Sunday Girl."

For the first time ever, a full album download will be offered free with online ticket purchases, a promotion made possible by eMusic, the world's largest retailer of independent music. "Blondie and The Cars broke new ground as they defined the sound of rock 'n roll in the 80s," said David Pakman, eMusic President and CEO. "eMusic and its customers share the same pioneering spirit, and as the #2 digital music service in the world, we're proud to partner with The New Cars and Blondie to be the first to offer fans an exclusive digital album with their concert ticket."

The tour promises to be one of the biggest musical events of the year. "It's very rare to have as many hits as these bands have combined in one show," said Allen Kovac, CEO of 10th Street Entertainment, the management and marketing company for the bands and tour.

"This will prove to be an historic double-bill with Blondie fresh off of their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and The New Cars performing together for the first time," said Eric Sherman, Senior Vice President, General Manager, VH1 Classic. "VH1 Classic has kept music fans in tune with their favorite acts by presenting dozens of tours over the last few years. We are proud to support this stellar line-up that will deliver their classic hits as well as anticipated new songs all summer long."

"Audiences know these songs and want to re-experience them in a live context," says Todd Rundgren, "as The New Cars we want to pay homage to The Cars and know that the best-known songs are the essential core, what we're hanging our hats on." While concertgoers can certainly expect to hear all of The Cars' biggest hits, the band says they can also look forward to Rundgren's own signature tunes along with several new songs the band recently recorded.

With bands like Fountains of Wayne, the Vines, the Killers, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand and others carrying on The Cars sound, Keyboardist Greg Hawkes notes that "The Cars' music has aged very well. Todd, Kasim and Prairie are very dynamic performers, and we are all very passionate about recreating the songs and sound that people love."

A greatest hits collection performed by The New Cars, The New Cars: It's Alive, will be released May 9 on Eleven Seven Music in association with ADA, a Warner Music Group Company. The new release will include classic Cars songs recorded live plus never-before-released studio tracks.

Despite the prescense of someone as talented as Todd Rundgren, as far as I'm concerned this is basically a glorified cover band. Watch it go the way of Credence Clearwater Revisited.

Also, offering a free album with ticket purchases isn't a first. I believe that Prince did this on his last tour.

More like the "Used Cars" in my estimation.

With TR involved it could get interesting. I have no idea what Ric is doing these days but unfortunately I am pretty sure that Benjamin Orr passed away in last couple of years. Ben Orr did a fair amount of vocals too.

you would have to buy me a free car for me to go to that show . sorry but when i saw them in the 80s on the touch and go tour it was awfull . it still holds the honor today of being the worst show i have ever attended. i have seen two or three hundred show.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 24 2006, 11:54 AM)
I have no idea what Ric is doing these days

He put out a solo disc called "Nexterday" I believe a few months ago. I think there was a short tour in promotion, but I'm not sure now.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 24 2006, 11:54 AM)
More like the "Used Cars" in my estimation.

With TR involved it could get interesting. I have no idea what Ric is doing these days but unfortunately I am pretty sure that Benjamin Orr passed away in last couple of years. Ben Orr did a fair amount of vocals too.

USED CARS? THAT'S HILARIOUS!

Anyone got the dvd of them back in the day? there's one i saw from their heyday but i haven't bought it yet. if it's good quality i'd like to get it. i don't know about paying thru the nose to see them with out ben and rick in concert, tho.

I didn't know until just now That he (Rick) signed on as senior vice president of A&R (Artists and Repertoire) at Elektra Records! Wow! That's gotta be a sweet paying gig!

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 24 2006, 11:59 AM)
you would have to buy me a free car for me to go to that show . sorry but when i saw them in the 80s on the touch and go tour it was awfull . it still holds the honor today of being the worst show i have ever attended. i have seen two or three hundred show.

Yeah, I can see what a big fan you were...'touch and go tour'? You mean the Panorama tour?

cool.gif

You would probably have to be a CARS fan to enjoy this tour, Just guessing though...... sarcasm.gif

Archived