Early 'Return Of The King' extended ed. review

Jack Aubrey

From Dark Horizons

The One Ring has landed an early review of the extended cut of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and it reveals some great new stuff:

"I've recently seen the brand-new extended cut of The Return of the King, in my professional capacity, and I thought I'd let know you know about it. I had seen the theatrical version once in the theatre, and two more times with my kids, and I must admit that the longer cut is far superior, for it ties everything you could consider loose-ends, it extends what you thought what great, and it adds awesome new scenes.

Many characters benefit from this extended cut, but Faramir, Denethor, Eowyn and Merry really stand out. After having watched the extended version, my favorite character became Denethor. His new scenes gave him such depth that I couldn't help but wonder why in the world they had to cut them. We learn more about Denethor than about any other character, in my opinion, and that's saying a lot. We learn new things about him not only from his extended and new scenes, but from Faramir, which I thought was a nice touch. Also, I must credit the actor who played Denethor for the coolest line in the whole trilogy: In this extended cut, when he learns that the first levels of the city are in flames and that the men are deserting them, he says something like 'Why do the fools fly? They should stand and burn, for burn they must.' Awesome. Oh, and he has a heated exchange of words with his son that stand out because it's very dramatic. It even reintroduces Sean Bean as Borimir in a most unexpected way!

The House of Healing is back in as well, which is good, because it allows you to breath a little between the two big battles of the movie. Aragorn shows his healing skills, which allow us to realize that he IS really fitted to be king, and not just a wannabe. This new segment also has tender moments between Faramir and Eowyn while they're recovering from their battle wounds, which serves a nice conclusion for both characters and allow the actors who play them to shine.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 28 2004, 06:14 PM)
The official site has actually a series of clips from the EE available now here

Cool! Thanks!