Iron Maiden sells out yet again!!!!!!!!

Batman

Ok, I am really upset at what they did with their Forum.

They shut down the IMBB and have now opened the IRON MAIDEN ONLINE CLUB

Which you have to pay to get into anything but a basic Iron Maiden talk.

I am really starting to see a trend with this band first its Re-release after Re-release greatest hits albums ,Box sets etc.

They complain about O$$fest being a sellout what the hell is this???

Iron Maiden Club

I love their music but I am really annoyed at this!!! angry.gif

*can someone fix the title please to OUT not PUT oops.gif *

Ok, I can definatly understand your point of view in being angry they are starting a fan club. Nine Inch Nails did this last year, charging people 60 a year to gain early access to shows and get access to presales for tickets. Personally, I think its BS and would never pay, just seems like a waste to me.

But I am not sure how this is selling out. Iron Maiden is a band who I have always respected for thier ability to stay true to their music and not let the industry bully them into writing more mainstream material. When it comes to rereleases and greatest hits, those are almost always the idea of the record company, and very little of the profits go to the band. A big myth in music is that artists are getting super rich whenever they have high cd sales. This simply is not true, the record company and store you bought the cd in get the vast majority of the money you spend on a cd.

Where an artist really makes thier money is through ticket sales and merchandise when on tour. I could be wrong about this, but when a band starts a fan club you have to pay for, I am willing to bet most, if not all of the money is going directly to the band. It does not seem like the kind of thing where record companies and middle men get their hands on the cash, so at least you know that when you join up, you are supporting the band MUCH more then you are the record company.

I just dont see how Iron Maiden have sold out. They never started any reality tv show in which you can watch how Bruce shaves his armpits in the morning or how Adrian complains about picking up Nico's poop on the rug.

Moon I would agree with you but with Maiden they pretty much own there music.

and what they didn't own they would re-record with the new members then release. Also I believe they own a controlling interest in their record company or their management does

I am not sure sell out is the right term I may hay been a bit quick throwing that term out there.

I agree that the music has been true to form and that in the big picture is really what matters.

I guess I was just upset at first but far be for me to tell them what to do with their name.

I am starting to cool down a bit just really got to me when I saw this.

Steve Harris is constantly in the marketing side of things. He is always finding new ways to sell Maiden. He has been doing this for a very long time. It's part of the way he operates. I never liked it but he's a part of Maiden, and they wouldn't be Maiden without him.

Heart does that. But then again they have 2 boards one without the membership and one with it. $30 goes along way...free stuff and the pre-sale for tickets actaully DOES give you good seats!!!

I think that paying fan clubs is such a ripoff to fans. I doubt I would even do it if Rush started one up.

I remember Geddy saying something in the 70s about how they arent asking you to join the Rush Army when you buy their records.

QUOTE (Batman @ Mar 19 2006, 04:29 PM)

I am not sure sell out is the right term I may hay been a bit quick throwing that term out there.

You were not, I'm afraid.

If releasing a mediocre live album after every tour, throwing in one DVD after the other, cashing 50 Euros for a concert ticket, then playing for some 85 minutes - and it'll be the usual stuff like Trooper, Number, Iron Maiden [God how I hate that song], Run To the Hills and Fear of THe Dark [not better than IM] together with new stuff of which 50% are mere cover versions of older Maiden songs (see No More Lies) - and releasing some four or five Greatest Hits CDs (voluntarily, if I get Mr Harris right) in 10 years isn't sell out, what is it?

Still one of my very favourite bands, and I'd rather hear another Trooper rip off than buy St. Anger or listen to it at a concert, but I'm not amused ...

Sure - I don't have to buy it.

I've got my tickets for Glasgow, this will be only my second Maiden concert, the first being in 1978 on their first proper UK tour with Paul Diano on vocals.

That was my first concert too.

Archived