I met Dream Theater!

KenJennings

Last night, I went to the "Evening with Dream Theater" 20th anniversary show, and they played extraordinarily. It was quite possibly, nay, it WAS the best rock show i've been to. (I haven't seen rush yet.)

But a few hours after seeing the show in Minneapolis, a friend and I were walking the streets, when we saw a tourbus and a small crowd outside a hotel. We walked up suspicious of what was going on, and we heard a stagehand say "When they some out, they'd be happy to sign some autographs, and meet with you before going inside, just so long as you guys don't get too rowdy." Well, we waited about a half hour, and sure enough, like true showmen, they came out and did just that.

All of them we really nice guys, and VERY courteous to the fans. John Petrucci even walked right up to me and my friend, and struck up a short convo. It was one of the coolest things ever.

I got all of their autographs, and between my friend and I, we got crummy cell phone photos with all of them.

My Ticket:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.moritz/ticket.jpg

Me with James LaBrie:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.moritz/LaBrie.jpg

My friend Dustin with Mike Portnoy:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.moritz/Portnoy.jpg

Me with John Petrucci:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.moritz/Petrucci.jpg (He was AWESOME)

My friend with Jordan Rudess:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.moritz/Rudess.jpg (Damn Camera Phone)

Me with John Myung:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.moritz/Myung.jpg

I know Dream Theater can get a bad wrap around these parts, but I wanted to show this to everyone, mostly because they were such gentlemen about the whole situation, and we so good to the fans.

That's great. It's brilliant when you meet your favourite musicians. It's extra cool that they were decent people as well.

arrrggg!!! its not fair!

i want to meet dt. they are my favorite band 1022.gif

wow... its rare that myung actually talk and take pictures with the fans hahaha laugh.gif he is the real "silentman"

they played TAKE THE TIME?

QUOTE (Larks @ Mar 18 2006, 02:11 PM)
arrrggg!!! its not fair!
i want to meet dt. they are my favorite band 1022.gif

wow... its rare that myung actually talk and take pictures with the fans hahaha laugh.gif he is the real "silentman"

they played TAKE THE TIME?

Yeah, I think it was the best song they played too. ... maybe Fatal Tragedy. wink.gif

awesome ken ! im going in less then two weeks , i cant wait. i have a gold pass then may be upgraded to backstage , that would be very cool. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif DREAM THEATER ROCKS ! 1022.gif

trink39.gif Awesome, bro. Glad it worked out that way.

That's great man! I'm going to see them next week!!!!! I don't think I'll be as lucky as you to meet them though sad.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 19 2006, 06:45 AM)
that's cool that you were able to chat.
i don't know why DT sometimes gets a bad wrap...did i miss something confused13.gif ?

There are a lot of Rush fans that dislike DT. And some of them can get downright nasty.

Excellent!

DT truly puts on an incredible show. Watching any of the bands members live is absolutely intense.

I had a chance to meet them back in Denver back in 2000 via a meet & greet, but my designated driver worked me! ( He was mostly a bluegrass fan who had never heard of DT before) I did not put up much of a fight as I was drunker than a monkey and had to catch a 6 AM flight. Glad you got the chance to meet them.

DREAM THEATER SUCKS!!! angry.gif

laugh.gif Just kidding. I never even heard them until everyone around here was so violently discussing them. So I had to give them a try. I bought Train of Thought and it's is slowly wearing on me in a good way. Tick has told me this isn't their best cd, so i'm gonna get more. I also got a copy of Liquid Tension and though it's not my personal everyday cup of tea... the quality of musicianship can NOT be denied.

I'm glad you got to meet them Ken. I just met Type O Negative AGAIN... and it's so much fun when you get to meet your faves. I'm getting to the point where i'm actually remembered by them. So cool. Thanks to Slacker on that one. trink39.gif

I won't be able to catch this tour, but by next time, i think DT will be on my must see list.

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 19 2006, 07:55 PM)
DREAM THEATER SUCKS!!!  angry.gif

laugh.gif  Just kidding.  I never even heard them until everyone around here was so violently discussing them.  So I had to give them a try.  I bought Train of Thought and it's is slowly wearing on me in a good way.  Tick has told me this isn't their best cd, so i'm gonna get more.  I also got a copy of Liquid Tension and though it's not my personal everyday cup of tea... the quality of musicianship can NOT be denied. 

I'm glad you got to meet them Ken.  I just met Type O Negative AGAIN... and it's so much fun when you get to meet your faves.  I'm getting to the point where i'm actually remembered by them.  So cool.  Thanks to Slacker on that one.  trink39.gif

I won't be able to catch this tour, but by next time, i think DT will be on my must see list. 

Great thread.  Thanks for sharing.

Any time Ken trink39.gif

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Mar 21 2006, 04:24 AM)
I met Mike Portnoy once. He was a VERY nice guy. Love this band. They are a big part of my life.

Seen them twice in Stockholm, the Octavarium tour was the best of the two.

That must have been an awesome experience. Lucky you!

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Mar 20 2006, 01:02 AM)
i don't know why DT sometimes gets a bad wrap...did i miss something confused13.gif ?

There are a lot of Rush fans that dislike DT. And some of them can get downright nasty.

Yah, that's my question...why are there so many that SPECIFICALLY dislike DT? And why so nasty? Any ideas?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 21 2006, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Mar 20 2006, 01:02 AM)

Yah, that's my question...why are there so many that SPECIFICALLY dislike DT? And why so nasty? Any ideas?

There is already a thread that discusses this.

QUOTE (frouse @ Mar 21 2006, 04:49 AM)
QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Mar 21 2006, 04:24 AM)
I met Mike Portnoy once. He was a VERY nice guy. Love this band. They are a big part of my life.

Seen them twice in Stockholm, the Octavarium tour was the best of the two.

That must have been an awesome experience. Lucky you!

I'll tell ya what was exciting for me as a fan. I went to see them on the first leg of their first tour for six dollars(Fall 1992).

Before the show while waiting for the warmup band (Edwin Dare) to go on, I picked up a bumper sticker from the T-Shirt guy and he pointed to the band, who were standing around in the lobby by themselves! I didn't even know what they looked like cause I just had been listening to WDADU (and loving it) and not really studying the pics too much of the band. I had them all sign the back of the bumper sticker, and like the asshat I am I ended up putting it on my car. But anyway, they all had fanny packs on and were just waiting to pull out their Sharpees to sign autographs but no one was talking to them but me!!! I got to talk to all of them. They were all pretty cool, but Portnoy bullshitted with us for like a half hour while I poured a dollar pitcher down my throat. He is the coolest, most down-to-earth dude, and at that time, very focused about their mission to make it big (they all were). I told Mike that they they were the "Rush of the nineties" and to stick with it, and eventually it would payoff if they had the patience. I read a mag article a couple years later where he described the exact conversation we had about their future, which was really cool. I didn't know if I would ever get a chance to see them in concert since I hadn't heard anything about them since 1990 when I started listening. I was sooo stoked, but I hadn't really heard their new singer (labrie). He and the band wre fabulous. People just stood and stared the whole time.

They didn't go on until about midnight, but they played their entire Images and Words album, plus a couple songs from their first album. They came out with Metropolis pt1 and it was quite a jaw dropper for everyone there. At the end, Mike looked right at me and threw me a drumstick, but some punk in front of me jumped up and got it. Oh well... I would have saved my ticket, but Dream Theater's name wasn't even on the ticket! doh.gif

P.S.: Myung is like 5'2", never looks up and is very quiet. James had gray hair already. Petrucci talked on the payphone for a while. Kevin Moore was kinda cool. Well, that's about it, I guess.

Anyone who hasn't seen them will especially like their fist show. The band is about the tightest live band you'll ever see. If you like their music, you'll love them in concert!

...Lucky!!! Man. I wanna meet DT too. I haven't even seen them live yet and have been a fan since 6 Degrees. I've gotten to meet Zack Hexum though. He's pretty cool.

Archived