Steve Morse's Cover of La Villa

Snowdog

Not being one overly interested in the "tribute" albums that have come out over the past few years, I was unaware until earlier tonight while cruising iTunes that Steve Morse covered La Villa. Naturally, I immediately downloaded and listened.

As a fan of Morse, I was eager to hear his take on Rush and Alex in particular. It's an amazing rendition staying true, for the most part, to the original while Morse still throws in some minor changes that are very tastefully done. I really enjoyed it. If you haven't heard it, it's worth a $.99 download.

Here's a link to the cd:

Steve Morse La Villa

That's the same version that was featured on the otherwise very bad Working Man tribute. Morse did only the classical intro and the main solo. Someone else did the other guitar parts. But it also features Billy Sheehan on bass and Mike Portnoy on drums

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 18 2006, 01:11 PM)
That's the same version that was featured on the otherwise very bad Working Man tribute. Morse did only the classical intro and the main solo. Someone else did the other guitar parts. But it also features Billy Sheehan on bass and Mike Portnoy on drums

Wow, that's kind of odd that he only played those two particular parts. Either way, I enjoyed it. I even rocked out to it while cutting the grass this morning. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 18 2006, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 18 2006, 01:11 PM)

Wow, that's kind of odd that he only played those two particular parts. Either way, I enjoyed it. I even rocked out to it while cutting the grass this morning. 1022.gif

He is correct about that. James Murphy played the end solo and there were actually two different guys playing Rythm guitar, Brendt Allman and David Townson.

I guess it takes 4 guys to replace Alex!!!

Just kidding, actually I would say that the Rush tribute disc "Working Man" is the best of 3 different ones available.

That Greg Howe version of La Villa is smoking and may be the best Rush cover I have ever heard.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 17 2006, 10:05 PM)
Not being one overly interested in the "tribute" albums that have come out over the past few years, I was unaware until earlier tonight while cruising iTunes that Steve Morse covered La Villa. Naturally, I immediately downloaded and listened.

As a fan of Morse, I was eager to hear his take on Rush and Alex in particular. It's an amazing rendition staying true, for the most part, to the original while Morse still throws in some minor changes that are very tastefully done. I really enjoyed it. If you haven't heard it, it's worth a $.99 download.

Here's a link to the cd:
Steve Morse La Villa

I gotta say... I saw Deep Purple (with Steve Morse) with Dream Theater and ELP and he is one helluva pro guitarist! He is absolutely amazing. One of the most precise and rockin' live players I've ever seen. Then I got up the next morning, took my bags out to the car, waited in the lobby for my gilfriend and I saw some dude with long stringy hair in a ragged-out cutoff shirt standing in line to checkout with some dude in a suit. I said "is your name Steve", he said "yeah", I said "it's not Steve Morse, is it?". He said "Why, are you the IRS?"

Then I praised his work and just said I'd leave him alone. He said I could ask him anything, but I was so dumbfounded at who I was talking to I just couldn't hardly speak. I just said I loved his work and really enjoyed his performance the night before and left it at that. Wow, what a case of marble-mouth I had!!! doh.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 23 2006, 04:08 PM)
I saw Morse with The Dregs open for Dream Theater. Truly a great guitarist.

Me too, on the Scenes tour in PHilidelphia. Seeing him with Deep Purple really impressed me with his flexibility. The dude played for Kansas, too! I think there would be a few peeps challenging the statement made about Morse needing two other guitarists to do La Villa. I think they used as many musicians as possible on that "Working Man" tribute album just to showcase and promote players, not cause they neccessarily needed so many musicians to get the job done. I'm sure Morse could play any Rush song blindfolded if the task was presented to him. Alex wrote the stuff, and he's one of my fav's, but he certainly makes his share of fumbles in a live setting. Freewill, LImelight, spirit of radio? We've all heard the train wrecks. Let's admit it.

Another thing: If you haven't heard, Peart dogged on that tribute album saying it was done by a bunch of "bar band musicians", which I'd prolly say too if I wasn't making any money on my own music. What's funnier, and damn clever, was Mike Portnoy's rebuttal to Neil's comment was "Boy, I'd like to hang out at that bar!" or something like that. OK, enough about DT, I know the rules here -lol.

Here's a link to the cd:
Steve Morse La Villa

Sundog,

I didn't know you were the topic starter. What a great subject! I've never met a girl who even knew who Steve Morse was! Well, I guess I did meet one -at RC5 -lol.

I've been a Dregs fan for many moons. Unsung Heroes is a great one that comes to mind. Punk Sandwich is a great jam, but I don't know what album. I guess it's on Night of the Living Dregs.

Anyway, I ran into Steve at the Hyatt one hungover morning after the Deep Purple show at DTE. He said I could ask him anything, but I was at a loss of words. What do you say to a guitar hero but "I love your work. thanks!", so that's all I did say. He joked about me being from the IRS. Very cool cat, he is... wink.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Mar 24 2006, 09:01 AM)

Here's a link to the cd:
Steve Morse La Villa

Sundog,

I didn't know you were the topic starter. What a great subject! I've never met a girl who even knew who Steve Morse was! Well, I guess I did meet one -at RC5 -lol.

I've been a Dregs fan for many moons. Unsung Heroes is a great one that comes to mind. Punk Sandwich is a great jam, but I don't know what album. I guess it's on Night of the Living Dregs.

Anyway, I ran into Steve at the Hyatt one hungover morning after the Deep Purple show at DTE. He said I could ask him anything, but I was at a loss of words. What do you say to a guitar hero but "I love your work. thanks!", so that's all I did say. He joked about me being from the IRS. Very cool cat, he is... wink.gif

Um....wrong dog. Sundog didn't start this thread, SNOWdog did. He's a guy (last time he checked). tongue.gif

Morse is probably my favorite guitarist. He's precise, yet plays with feeling, and he's got a great, unique tone. And he has a rep for being very friendly, so your encounter with him is not surprising.

I'm a drummer. You've gotta expect that stupid shit from us stupid drummers. I also repeated what I said in an earlier post. Boy, I hope I do better in the studio this weekend than I am on this msg board lately!

Sorry Sundog!

Sorry Snowdog!

Wasn't paying attention!

What do you call a drummer that just broke up with his girlfriend?

HOMELESS!!!

I saw Morse with Deep Purple in Dublin. I thought he was very good but he lacked interaction with the crowd. There's no doubting his guitar playing but I thought the boys in Skynyrd (who were on the same bill) blew him off the stage ph34r.gif

QUOTE (nebbish @ Mar 24 2006, 11:05 AM)
I saw Morse with Deep Purple in Dublin. I thought he was very good but he lacked interaction with the crowd. There's no doubting his guitar playing but I thought the boys in Skynyrd (who were on the same bill) blew him off the stage ph34r.gif

It's interesting how perceptions differ so wildly. I thought Steve was a Pro in every aspect of his playing and showmanship. Wow. People see different things, that's for sure. Maybe the guy had a bad night, hmmm.

Gotta agree with Nebbish - I saw the same tour (at Wembley Arena). SM is a fine guitarist but Neb nailed it with the "lack of crowd interaction" comment.

And yes, though I went primarily to see Purple, Skynyrd blew 'em away.

Did you also get The Darkness on the same bill? That was "before they were famous". One of the few bands I have walked out on.

Archived