A trip for your imagination

Sweetmiracle

In the Classic Rock article, Geddy was quoted as saying about Cygnus X-1 pt 2, " When we sat down to write the second part, we really didn't know where to take it. But we'd already said 'to be continued' so we had to do something. Neil had been working on this Apollo/Dionysius thing for some time. It wasn't supposed to be part of Cygnus, but...we thought, maybe we can combine the two..."

Here's the mission, should you choose to accept it. Write an alternate ending for Cygnus X-1......

Maybe the Rocinante could end up in a world where the giant windmills are alive... or at a pool party at your brother's house...or whatever...

I always thought that he could have become a newly-conceived baby in another universe...but that's a pretty obvious one.

cool10.gif

Cygnus X-1 Book 2 (sorta)

Experience slips away. Time stands still and becomes irrelevant. I find myself standing next to, surrounded by, yet at the same time within, all of my possible manifestations. There I am as an infant, and over there I'm a doddering old man. Does this mean I was/am destined to reach a ripe old age? It doesn't matter at all at this point. My past, future, and present (which suddenly seems a quaint notion) merge into a single moment. And just LOOK at me at the peak of my powers, at 19! "Hey you! Don't take anything for granted! And watch out for that blonde from Tucscon!" I want to shout to "him". But he is not listening, I'm sure. Well, I never DID listen to anyone at that age. What a jerk "I" was!

Am I alive? Is this some cosmic existence beyond our experience? Do I need to recalculate my notions of the supernatural? Perhaps later I will consider it for a bit. But, right now I could use a stiff drink. I cast about me for a Macallen. None to be found. RATS! What sort of "afterlife" IS this, anyways?

And then I spot a door. It's pretty plain looking, and grimy-looking. Not at all what one would expect to encounter in the "afterlife". Well, not unless one had very little imagination. It somehow beckons to me. Well, what's the worst that can happen? I ask myself. Oops! Best not to ponder such thoughts. I've already SEEN what can happen as my every nerve was torn apart and my trusty Rocinante vaporized entering this "place". I even hesitate to call it a "place", as it doesn't seem to really exist. At least, not in any recognized version of reality I know.

So, I approach the door, feeling strangely emboldened, as if I am about to uncover a riddle of the cosmos. I grasp the knob, turn and with one swift motion, pull it open. I am engulfed. I have been knocked down by the sheer force of thousands? millions? billions? of small furry things. I struggle to regain my feet and my breath, and to focus on the multi-colored........... what are they?

They are socks. Just plain ordinary socks. My mind does not appreciate the oddness of this vision initially.

And then I see him. He's sitting in a large bed. Splayed about him are about 5000 single, unmatched socks. Above him I see a television embedded, yes, embedded in the ceiling of this small room. But it shows only static. He greets me.

"Hey there! drummer boy! Do you want a peanut-butter and banana sandwich? I'm just having one now."

"No, thank you" I stammer.

"Suit yourself, but you'll be hungry soon."

"Hey there!" he continues. "You wanna give me a hand here? I almost had a matched pair a few days ago."

And then I realize what's happening here. I recognize the King of Rock and Roll himself, Elvis Presley, late of Graceland, Memphis, TN. And I recognize his quixotic quest. Resigned to my fate, I sit down and start laying out the socks, hoping that soon an attractive fan will appear in her own "Rocinante" to give us a hand. So many socks................

the dust clears and i have no memory

where is this land I am upon

i have my ship

but don't know what had happened

i hope

I

don't

lose

it all

i am taken and held captive

there is no light for me to see

I've lost it all

but something has just happened

I have

gained

back

all

my thoughts

(mellow synth/ guitar interlude that slowly builds)

(Geddy screams next line)

and with that my strength returned

the prison walls could not hold me

I tore them down with all my might

I am now surrounded by mystic strange beings

(another cool inturlude)

they start to attack so I defend

they were no match for me

for I am Cygnus

the god of balance

there. i think it is better.

wacko.gif

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Thanks, BSG, Earthshiner and Slaine!

Whenever I try to imagine an ending, I always realize that I've already seen that one on Star Trek: TNG.....

Or it's from The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis....

BSG..... come to my house..I have a job for you.... many colors, many sizes....

tongue.gif

ES, gotta have the combat in there somewhere! We'll go for videogame rights!

Slaine, where are you??

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Oct 29 2004, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Oct 29 2004, 09:46 AM)

i'm new to this whole epic thing. waffen093.gif there

Epics always have battles, usually many of them!!!

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Oct 29 2004, 02:46 PM)
Thanks, BSG, Earthshiner and Slaine!

Whenever I try to imagine an ending, I always realize that I've already seen that one on Star Trek: TNG.....

Or it's from The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis....

BSG..... come to my house..I have a job for you.... many colors, many sizes....
tongue.gif

Slaine, where are you??

I'm sat in front of my computer. biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I live in Mansfield, England which is in the Midlands, not far from Nottingham

I steered my ship into a black hole. (I resolve to never lose another bet again.)

My ship and I are crushed into an object tinier than a subatomic particle by the tremendous gravitational forces.

Suddenly I find myself at the gates of Hell with a smirking Mephistopheles staring down at me. 'So,', he says, 'you flew into a black hole in hopes of becoming a god? Well, let me show you what we think of Mr. Clever around these parts....'

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 29 2004, 01:30 PM)
I steered my ship into a black hole. (I resolve to never lose another bet again.)

My ship and I are crushed into an object tinier than a subatomic particle by the tremendous gravitational forces.

Suddenly I find myself at the gates of Hell with a smirking Mephistopheles staring down at me. 'So,', he says, 'you flew into a black hole in hopes of becoming a god? Well, let me show you what we think of Mr. Clever around these parts....'

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 29 2004, 08:39 PM)
Sorry, I'm being a bit dense.

The point of arrival is on Earth before the explosion that created Cygnus X-1 so the journey is either back in time or forwards if you subscribe to the cyclic nature of time.

Ahhhh .... cool!

So what does he do when he gets there....

Please don't have him kill his penultimate grandfather..... wink.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 30 2004, 01:35 PM)
That's for the reader to decide.

That's an excellent idea. It's always good to let the reader to some of the thinking in the story. Especially if it's one of fantasy. I like it myself when I am reading novels. Nice work! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived