The Sopranos thread!

Jack Aubrey

I can't believe that I haven't already started a thread about this. Sunday night's ep was really good. Almost worth the wait. You gotta hand it to them, they started the season with a bang! I put a spoiler warning on the thread title, so feel free to discuss anything about the show in this thread.

This is one of my favorite shows ever. Great writing, great acting, what else could one ask for? Thanks for starting the thread, Jack. I wasn't sure that there was sufficient interest when I mentioned the premier a few weeks ago, so I'm glad you started it here.

I was hoping to see more of Paulie Walnuts. I think he's the funniest character on there. I'll never forget when Bobby and Phil were standing belly to belly in the VIP room at the Bing and Paulie exclaimed "Hey T! This looks like a weight loss commercial! Before...and......waaayyyy before!!"

Oh, back to the episode at hand. Johnny Sack in the slammer, awaiting trial. His loyal deputy taking care of business, and Tony according him respect. Chris not liking him, because of how he had threatened to whack him in retaliation for his cousin's death. I anxiously await the outcome of what happens between the two outfits.

Not much mention of Tony's kids, either. One of the things I like about this show is that it adds an element of humanness to such characters that is rarely seen in Mafia shows. We see Tony trying to deal with his Uncle Junior's advancing dementia, also. This could throw the family into further disarray down the line. Well, we gotta see what happens to Tony next week before we worry about that, right?

The thing that stood out to us the most in the second episode was the tremendous acting job by Edie Falco.

I haven't completely figured out what Tony's flashbacks were, except the connection between the brain scans and Alzheimer and Uncle Junior.

I'm wondering what the FBI agents are doing at Satriale's, also. They talked to Chris about the Pakistani who had dealt at his club, and then Chris runs into him in the Bing. This could be interesting to see two criminal worlds collide, and it could be interesting to see how much Chris is willing to divulge about him since it could be about terrorism, and Chris is "serious" about that stuff.

I don't see Tony doing much for the rest of the season. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the rest of the crew. When one capo piped up taking over one of the gigs, Silvio silenced him with the call for no talk about their personal businesses. What will come of all that if Tony is done? And what will happen to them in their dealings with Johnny Sack's family?

It's going to be different with Tony's diminished role, but I think the season is still going to be very interesting.

Agreed...Edie Falco probably just secured an Emmy nomination with this episode.

The Tony deal is very interesting. It's a very ballsy move to have the main character incapacitated for what could be the entire season. And the way the doctors were talking, it doesn't look like Tony would be his full self if and when he emerges from the coma.

The dream sequences will probably continue as long as Tony is comatose, and maybe they'll start becoming less ambiguous as they go on. What's intriguing me is this "alter ego" he has in these dreams in the form of the switched briefcase and wallet. Haven't quite figured out the connection there.

My first thought on the dream sequences was "mistaken identity".. Tony has assumed the identity of another man. When he got shot, Uncle Jr. thought he was someone else (in his dementia). Maybe kind of a stretch, but that's the first thing I thought of. I have no idea where it's leading.

The second episode was fairly boring (IMO) but it did have a couple of cool moments both involving Athony Jr. I forget who, but someone called him "Van Hellsing" and then someone else (or maybe the same person) called him "Fabio", all because of his long hair.. I thought that was hilarious! I think it was Paulie that called him Van Hellsing.. Also, when Athony Jr. promised Tony that he would shoot Uncle Jr. and take revenge.. I thought that was a very tense moment during a somewhat boring episode otherwise. I realize that they are setting up the rest of the season, so they have to lay the groud work. Still a great show, I wouldn't miss a minute of it.

I did get bored with the dream sequences after awhile and all the symbolic clues they contained and wanted them to get on with the story!

Things look like they'll heat up now with Silvio filling in for Tony and the clash of egos and mini power struggles with in the family. cool.gif

The best series ever shown on swedish TV.

the family are having dinner when the door bell rings

Tony:

-Anthony, open the door!

Anthony:

-No, I'm eating!

Tony:

-If you want any f***ing teeth to eat with, you should open the door.

1287.gif beathorse.gif

I love this show. I actually didn't get into it until about a month ago. I came across all 5 season and whatched them over the last month. I love this show. It is awesome! 1022.gif . I'm gonna wait until season six is finished before I watch it. I hate week long suspense. laugh.gif

The Sopranos Rocks!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

even tho it's two episodes into this season... it's awesome!!

edir falco is definately up for an emmy nom.... at least IMHO....

just a note: loved the Moby song they played at the end of this sunday's episode......the one where tony goes into the hotel room....takes his shoes off and looks out the window...

great tune!

great show!

Lots of twists in tonight's episode. Paulie gets a big heist, despite taking a swift kick, and they cut in Carmela (and Tony) in for 100K or so. It was good to see Paulie in the show more this time. That character is too funny. The squabbles among the capos are still going on, and Sil does little to quell them. And that writer with the serious gambling problem returned, and had to deal with Chris's loan sharking operation once again. Stuff like that reminds you what scumbags these characters really are (and to be careful who you borrow money from). Just when you think Paulie's blathering (oblivous to what the screen is saying) is going to kill Tony, the hospital staff arrive to save him in the nick of time, and Tony also regains consciousness. Of course Chris immediately starts talking about himself. Imperioli does a great job with that character, but that character is so awful.

I thought this was a strong episode, better than last week's. I look forward to week 4.

I didn't think Tony was going to come out of the coma tonight. That was a surprise. I thought we'd have maybe two more eps of dream sequences. The scene with Steve Buscemi was riveting -- as soon as you saw him you knew what he was representing.

Silvio clearly wasn't up to the task on being the boss. And the upcoming conflicts between him and Paulie should be interesting.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 26 2006, 11:00 PM)
I didn't think Tony was going to come out of the coma tonight. That was a surprise. I thought we'd have maybe two more eps of dream sequences. The scene with Steve Buscemi was riveting -- as soon as you saw him you knew what he was representing.

Silvio clearly wasn't up to the task on being the boss. And the upcoming conflicts between him and Paulie should be interesting.

yeah i wasn't expecting to see tony come out of it so soon either...

and i agree, as soon as i saw steve buscemi, i had this ahhaa moment... it all made sence.....

the preview for next week looks good too!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Mar 28 2006, 07:28 AM)

and i agree, as soon as i saw steve buscemi, i had this ahhaa moment... it all made sence.....

That was a preview for the rest of the season, not just the next episode. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 28 2006, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Mar 28 2006, 07:28 AM)

That was a preview for the rest of the season, not just the next episode. wink.gif

i guess i hadn't caught that part..... but man it sure looks good!!

I got a feeling Vito won't be around for to long, with what he said about wanting to do Carmela in.( sure Paulie called her a f in bitch for having to fork over some of the loot but he wouldn't go that far!) And Vitos over zealous remarks for wanting to take over when Silvio went down is only going to bring him closer to sleeping with the fishes..

Funny moment when Vito bumped into Meadow Soprano boy friend Finn the look of terror in his eyes OH SH*T! laugh.gif

Tonight's episode had to be one of the most intense episodes I've ever seen. In the past, they've usually kept the inner workings of mob activity in the background, and devoted very little screen time to it. Paulie has gone nuts now, after having found out the story of who his mother was. I think he's going to be pretty aggressive for the next few episodes. Tony seems to have softened up in his current state, as shown by his caving in to Johnny Sack, and the preview for next week made me wonder if there's going to be some power struggles going on, and how those would shape up. I liked Hal Holbrook's appearance on the show, too.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2006, 10:13 PM)
Paulie's going to get reamed for that knee-job he pulled at the end.

yes.gif If and when Tony finds out about it. (possibly Tony set this up to appear Paulie did this on his own) Ya know the kid was going to get it somehow, I can't believe Tony would just let it go just because he talked to his ma. Business is business someone screws up someone's going to pay! And this way it looks like he kept his word . How long till Vitos demise with Carmela warning Tony about him he won't make it to the last episode... cool.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Apr 4 2006, 02:15 AM)

yes.gif If and when Tony finds out about it. (possibly Tony set this up to appear Paulie did this on his own) Ya know the kid was going to get it somehow, I can't believe Tony would just let it go just because he talked to his ma. Business is business someone screws up someone's going to pay! And this way it looks like he kept his word . How long till Vitos demise with Carmela warning Tony about him he won't make it to the last episode... cool.gif

Paulie was dealing with the issues with his own mother/aunt. The kid was a target for Paulie to take out all his anger about his situation. Tony will know if the kid ends up in the hospital for this, and then we'll see what happens after that. I'm thinking Paulie might be a candidate for an early exit, also. If things get worse with Johnny Sack, they could use Paulie's past overtures towards Carmine (when he was still alive) against him. Vito could also try to double cross him about what he said about Carmela, and possibly succeed in getting him whacked. Chris is always a candidate for retribution from Phil, Johnny Sack's deputy, and vice versa. Silvio might be done in by his asthma before anything else. And we still haven't come full circle with Chris and the FBI and the Pakistani who dealt at his club. I await what happens there.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 4 2006, 02:47 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Apr 4 2006, 02:15 AM)

Paulie was dealing with the issues with his own mother/aunt. The kid was a target for Paulie to take out all his anger about his situation. Tony will know if the kid ends up in the hospital for this, and then we'll see what happens after that. I'm thinking Paulie might be a candidate for an early exit, also. If things get worse with Johnny Sack, they could use Paulie's past overtures towards Carmine (when he was still alive) against him. Vito could also try to double cross him about what he said about Carmela, and possibly succeed in getting him whacked. Chris is always a candidate for retribution from Phil, Johnny Sack's deputy, and vice versa. Silvio might be done in by his asthma before anything else. And we still haven't come full circle with Chris and the FBI and the Pakistani who dealt at his club. I await what happens there.

goodpost.gif Good observations quite possible scenarios.

Still think Tony might be behind Paulies (knee job)

He keeps his word to his ma didn't bump him off and now he works for Tony ........ I mean Paulie.

what season is it on now on HBO?

I dont get HBO but i rented the DvDs

I think i saw up to season 4 or 5?

i cant remember confused13.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 31 2006, 03:28 PM)
I hate Vito, but I love Paulie..!!  I hope Vito gets capped soon!

Flammer!

I laughed at the scene in the Hospital waiting room, where Vito says (talking about why Eugene killed himself)"Maybe he was a homo and felt he didn't have anyone to talk to. It happens you know". Talk about a guilty conscience. laugh.gif

Also when he meets Finn coming off the elevator at the hospital. That scene was just creepy. I dont' like Vito either.

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

very interesting episode indeed....

i hadn't even pondered the thought that tony could know...and quite possibly be behind paulie's knee job!

especially considering toward the end of the show it seems as tho "T" is taking a whole new look and appreciation on life.......

hmmmm...... this is going to be a great season.... yes.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Apr 5 2006, 02:05 PM)
very interesting episode indeed....
i hadn't even pondered the thought that tony could know...and quite possibly be behind paulie's knee job!
especially considering toward the end of the show it seems as tho "T" is taking a whole new look and appreciation on life.......

hmmmm...... this is going to be a great season.... yes.gif

I just hope this whole near death thing doesn't make Tony all soft. I agree with AK. I think Paulie will have an early exit, "God Forbid".