Liquid Tension Experiment

Rush!

Have any of you guys heard of them? Their music is just unbelievable. It's mind-boggling to say the least. It consists of 4 people:

TONY LEVIN - Bass Guitar, Stick (Played w/ King Crimson)

JOHN PETRUCCI - Electric Guitar (Dream Theater)

JORDAN RUDESS - Keyboards (Dream Theater)

MIKE PORTNOY - Drums, Percussion (Dream Theater, absolutely amazing, astonishing drummer!!!!!!!!)

If you like high-energy "power" prog-rock, then this is the music for you. They only have 2 albums out:

Liquid Tension Experiment (released in 1998, written and recorded in less than 1 week, probably because almost all of the songs were improvised jams) and...

Liquid Tension Experiment II (released in 1999, amazing, but not as good as the first IMO)

These guys are fantastic. Seriously, all 4 of them, IMO, are MASTER VIRTUOSOS at their chosen instruments. Check 'em out here!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_ro...asp?band_id=211

I've got their first album and it's pretty good.

I got it because I'm a fan of Dream Theater's virtuosic musicianship, but hate their lyrics and vocalist. I figured an instrumental version of Dream Theater was the way to go.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 14 2006, 06:14 PM)
I've got their first album and it's pretty good.

I got it because I'm a fan of Dream Theater's virtuosic musicianship, but hate their lyrics and vocalist. I figured an instrumental version of Dream Theater was the way to go.

wacko.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 14 2006, 06:05 PM)
Have any of you guys heard of them? Their music is just unbelievable. It's mind-boggling to say the least. It consists of 4 people:
TONY LEVIN - Bass Guitar, Stick (Played w/ King Crimson)
JOHN PETRUCCI - Electric Guitar (Dream Theater)
JORDAN RUDESS - Keyboards (Dream Theater)
MIKE PORTNOY - Drums, Percussion (Dream Theater, absolutely amazing, astonishing drummer!!!!!!!!)

If you like high-energy "power" prog-rock, then this is the music for you. They only have 2 albums out:
Liquid Tension Experiment (released in 1998, written and recorded in less than 1 week, probably because almost all of the songs were improvised jams) and...
Liquid Tension Experiment II (released in 1999, amazing, but not as good as the first IMO)

These guys are fantastic. Seriously, all 4 of them, IMO, are MASTER VIRTUOSOS at their chosen instruments. Check 'em out here!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_ro...asp?band_id=211

The Liquid Tension CDs are great. I would have rather them picked another bassist. I like Tony Levin, but I just don't think he fit with the rest of the band. You can hardly even hear his bass. Mark king would have been a nice fit.

I heard their first and second cd the week they were brought out! "Two" is by far a more exciting one for me. "one" has some interesting moments like Freedom of Speech or the very first track (I don't remember its title now), but "Two" is really impressive. Great technical skills and superb compositions. And I don't agree Tony doesn't fit with the rest. What he does he does brilliantly even though he's not very audible on the record itself.

Check out for Planet X, though!!! That's perfect! 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Decent stuff... I still wish they would've thrown Petrucci on the backburner a little more though. Too much soloing interrupts the beautiful moments, Levin's not turned up enough. Not as much groove as I would've liked.

Worth checking out, but there's much better instrumental work out there.

LTE is horrible.

Wanking

Jordan Rudess - tasteless virtuostic mess

John Petrucci - was good back in '95 something

Portnoy - nice guy, but should play in another band

Levin - what does he have in common with those guys?

listen to marillion instead

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 19 2006, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (frouse @ Mar 17 2006, 05:35 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 16 2006, 09:33 PM)
doh.gif

The old double post whammy got me again.  It's been awhile.  laugh.gif

eeeerrrrrrrr, I'm almost offended! laugh.gif

Yeah... apparantly i'm good at that. laugh.gif

laugh.gif rofl3.gif laugh.gif trink36.gif

Yes, I've got both of their albums and I agree that they are AWESOME!! I tend to like the first album better than the 2nd, but these guys have a great sound going on! I wonder if a new album is in the works ... confused13.gif

Has anybody heard OSI? It has Mike Portnoy and the singer from Porcupine Tree, and I'm not sure who the other guys are. But they're another great prog band.

Mike is a really good drumming machine, but for me his drumming is nothing special, and there is no need to be excited about the fact that he is a member of some new prog squad. I guess DT made him too oustanding. wink.gif

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 21 2006, 04:45 AM)

Yes, I've got both of their albums and I agree that they are AWESOME!! I tend to like the first album better than the 2nd, but these guys have a great sound going on! I wonder if a new album is in the works ... confused13.gif

Has anybody heard OSI? It has Mike Portnoy and the singer from Porcupine Tree, and I'm not sure who the other guys are. But they're another great prog band

The others are Jim Matheos from Fates Warning and Kevin Moore (ex-DT)

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Mar 21 2006, 03:28 AM)
QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 21 2006, 04:45 AM)

Has anybody heard OSI? It has Mike Portnoy and the singer from Porcupine Tree, and I'm not sure who the other guys are. But they're another great prog band

The others are Jim Matheos from Fates Warning and Kevin Moore (ex-DT)

Thanks!

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 20 2006, 10:45 PM)

Has anybody heard OSI? It has Mike Portnoy and the singer from Porcupine Tree, and I'm not sure who the other guys are. But they're another great prog band.

There won't be anymore Liquid Tension albums. I read an interview with Mike Portnoy & he said since Jordan Rudess joined Dream Theater, Liquid Tension is finished.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Mar 21 2006, 06:32 PM)

There won't be anymore Liquid Tension albums. I read an interview with Mike Portnoy & he said since Jordan Rudess joined Dream Theater, Liquid Tension is finished.

sad.gif Too bad

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Mar 21 2006, 07:32 PM)

And you all believe this??!! Hahaha! That wouldn't be Mike if he doesn't arrange for another blasting release with LTE line-up!

QUOTE (frouse @ Mar 24 2006, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Mar 21 2006, 07:32 PM)

And you all believe this??!! Hahaha! That wouldn't be Mike if he doesn't arrange for another blasting release with LTE line-up!

Yeah I do. That's why he stared OSI

Archived