I don't "get" Clapton

My_Shrimp_Cot

I'm not saying he is bad, it must be me. Could someone point to what I should listen to to change my mind?

What I don't like:

The ending of "Layla" is dreadful to my ears. I wish the guitar/s would shut up their noodling/whining so we could hear the nice piano melody.

There is nothing in the song "Cocaine" that I think is interesting from listening to the guitar.

"Sunshine of your Love" is OK, but merely OK.

"I Shot the Sheriff" is a rip-off and not as important coming from a white guy.

So, what should I be listening to?

I love Cream, especially their 1967 album Disraeli Gears and the 1969 Blind Faith album was a supergroup that included Clapton and Steve Winwood from Traffic among others. Although I actually love the ending to Layla (much more so than the first part of the song), beyond that I have no interest in Clapton, and any and all of his solo material that I've heard doesn't do much for me personally.

Oh yeah, I think he was playing guitar on the excellent Yardbrids track For Your Love, and he plays guitar on the excellent Beatles track While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Really, most of his stuff in the 60's I'm interested in (John Mayall's Bluesbreakers being the exception), but beyond that I could take it or leave it - I usually leave it...

As a rock guitarist, I think he's overrated.

As a bules guitarist, I suppose he's very good. (If you like the blues; I don't.)

He's released two or three "blues" albums for you blues fans.

"God" he ain't. Vai, Satriani, and Van Halen (among others) can play circles around him.

(I hope my wife doesn't read this; she's a big Clapton fan.)

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 9 2006, 08:07 PM)
I love Cream, especially their 1967 album Disraeli Gears and the 1969 Blind Faith album was a supergroup that included Clapton and Steve Winwood from Traffic among others. Although I actually love the ending to Layla (much more so than the first part of the song), beyond that I have no interest in Clapton, and any and all of his solo material that I've heard doesn't do much for me personally.

Oh yeah, I think he was playing guitar on the excellent Yardbrids track For Your Love, and he plays guitar on the excellent Beatles track While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Really, most of his stuff in the 60's I'm interested in (John Mayall's Bluesbreakers being the exception), but beyond that I could take it or leave it - I usually leave it...

Agree with you Goob, Disraeli Gears if fantastic, as are Wheels of Fire and Fresh Cream. Goodbye has the amazing "Badge" written by George Harrison.

The album "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" is excellent, even if only for "Bell Bottomed Blues".

Here's how I'd sum up the man:

60's - Legendary

70's - Very Good

80's - Patchy

90's - going through the motions

00's - Bluesy, but boring

First of all, he's a great songwriter. Second, you have to appreciate great songwriting to like his style of music. Third, one great note is so much more appealing than 1000 crammed into a measure. Fourth, he has earned his legendary status by being an innovator, by which many others follow (like nearly every popular guitarist both present and past).

Again, like all things, it's just subjective taste.

I enjoy Cream's 1966 debut "Fresh Cream". I think Clapton is slightly overrated. I enjoy some of his solo material like "Cocaine", "I Shot The Sherriff", and "Lay Down Sally". I mean his guitar playing on those 3 tracks aren't great, but they're not that bad. As for "Layla", I'm sick and tired of that song. I hear it all the time on the radio and Clapton just screams his way through the whole song. And the ending just drags on way too long. That's my opinion on Clapton.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Mar 9 2006, 06:27 PM)
First of all, he's a great songwriter. Second, you have to appreciate great songwriting to like his style of music. Third, one great note is so much more appealing than 1000 crammed into a measure. Fourth, he has earned his legendary status by being an innovator, by which many others follow (like nearly every popular guitarist both present and past).

I agree, launch. David Gilmour is a great example of the kind of player who gives you one gorgeous note that resonates instead of a thousand crammed together.

I saw Clapton live in '92, and it was a really great show. He did an acoustic set, and some idiots in the audience wouldn't shut up with their screaming during "Tears in Heaven"...so Clapton got mad. The rest of the show he was on FIRE, and it was amazing.

Cream is great...Blind Faith never did much for me, the Derek & the Dominoes album is supposed to be good, I've been meaning to check it out. His solo material has never done much for me at all.

God? No. Important musical innovator? Definitely.

one great note is so much more appealing than 1000 crammed into a measure.

Clapton himself has said this. He said his goal is to be able to play a single note that makes people weep.

he has earned his legendary status by being an innovator, by which many others follow (like nearly every popular guitarist both present and past).

I don't know if I see him as an "innovator." What did he do that wasn't already being done?

Hendrix, Pastorius, Van Halen... they all did something new. Clapton just plays blues.

Please correct me.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 10 2006, 06:40 AM)
one great note is so much more appealing than 1000 crammed into a measure.

Clapton himself has said this. He said his goal is to be able to play a single note that makes people weep.

he has earned his legendary status by being an innovator, by which many others follow (like nearly every popular guitarist both present and past).

I don't know if I see him as an "innovator." What did he do that wasn't already being done?

Hendrix, Pastorius, Van Halen... they all did something new. Clapton just plays blues.

Please correct me.

He was the one mostly responsible for transforming the blues into rock music(Yardbirds and Mayall's Bluesbreakers)...thus "blues-rock" was born....With Cream he was the one that began the "power-trio" format...spurning such acts as the Jimi Hendrix Experience and a certain band called 2.gif (among countless others)....His work with Cream also was the frontrunner for hard rock...

Like him or not his influence is HUGE in the history of rock music...Sure there are better guitarists out there but it's all gotta start somewhere...

Van Halen and Alex Lifeson cites him as a big influence...

The whole "God" thing only applies to his mid-sixties era as he was by far the best of the bunch at that time...the whole thing is overblown and IMO not to be taken seriously...

Clapton is all about "feel", emotion, soulful playing....He doesn't play for technical prowess or speed as most people tend to look at when it comes to what is so great about one's playing...though his playing kicks the ass out of the majority of players out there.

When Eric plays the blues, or blues-rock stuff he is one of the elite...It's the poppy crap he's been playing the last 20 years or so that tends to over shadow his accomplishments and his well deserved place in the history of rock.

Play his late 60's-early 70's stuff and u'll see how great he is; don't just base it all on his commercial stuff...listen especially to his live stuff

BTW Pastorius is a bassist not a guitarist...

Yes, I know. The "Hendrix" of the bass guitar. An innovator.

As a bass player myself, I'm a huge fan; I have all his solo stuff, Weather Report stuff, and Joni stuff.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 10 2006, 08:03 AM)

Yes, I know. The "Hendrix" of the bass guitar. An innovator.

As a bass player myself, I'm a huge fan; I have all his solo stuff, Weather Report stuff, and Joni stuff.

He is indeed awesome. I totally agree he was an innovator.

No offence but to say Clapton is not one is a ridiculous thing to say (whether you like him or not)

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 10 2006, 08:10 AM)
No offence but to say Clapton is not one is a ridiculous thing to say (whether you like him or not)

No offense taken. As I said, I was looking for a correction to my faulty thinking.

Your post was well argued; you've convinced me on the whole "innovator" thing.

Still don't really like his stuff. Still hate the blues. But an innovator he is.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 10 2006, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 10 2006, 08:10 AM)

No offense taken. As I said, I was looking for a correction to my faulty thinking.

Your post was well argued; you've convinced me on the whole "innovator" thing.

Still don't really like his stuff. Still hate the blues. But an innovator he is.

Thanks for the kudos trink39.gif

I personally love blues music...without it rock music wouldn't have come around...

All I ever tell anyone is you don't have to like it but just acknowledge the fact that the music you do love wouldn't have happened without the music that came before it...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 10 2006, 08:22 AM)
I personally love blues music...without it rock music wouldn't have come around...

All I ever tell anyone is you don't have to like it but just acknowledge the fact that the music you do love wouldn't have happened without the music that came before it...

True, I know. Without the blues, there'd be no rock.

Early Beatles, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page... rock owes everything to the blues.

Ironic how it's possible to hate the blues and yet love rock, but I know I'm not the only one.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Mar 9 2006, 06:27 PM)

I totally agree with what launchpad said yes.gif

By the way Mike, your weapon movie is awesome! Great work!! tongue.gif 1022.gif

You either get the blues or you don't. Don't get the blues, don't get Clapton.

That being said, there's no question that Clapton was an innovator in his day. (60's) He more than anyone else integrated real delta blues sound and technique into rock. Just as one example, his work with the wah-wah influenced 10 years of rock music. (Alex in 2112) Later on he took up the minimalist philosophy as many bluesmen do.

God? Ahem, no.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Mar 10 2006, 09:33 PM)
his work with the wah-wah influenced 10 years of rock music.

That too...I believe it was Tales of Brave Ulysses that was the first major rock song to have a wah wah pedal in it.

Archived