What is your "Phenomenon"

clearingsky

As a participant in this fine forum I have been prompted to think about favorite albums from the past-wayyy past.The vinyl has long since been packed away and I'm not going to buy another turntable anytime soon,so I have started to aquire some of the "must haves"from my old vinyl collection on CD

At the top of my list now is the 1974 UFO Phenomenon release-sure I could get a box set or compilation cd-but no,I loved this album in it's entirety.It's one of those where side one was very strong but side two not much more than an afterthought...until later...when the real treasure was revealed(my Rush comparison would be COS)

I recognize that many of you here have the means to upload any music you want anytime you want...but go ahead and humor the old schooler here if you please

At this stage I've replaced the entire collections of:

Queen

Aerosmith

Rush

Yes

King Crimson

Genesis

Rory Gallagher

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

and lots of others.

To be really sad however, one must play the CD and read the lyrics from the vinyl.

wink.gif

I have replaced Rick Wakeman's

The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Originally released 1973

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Originally released 1974

The Myths & Legends of King Arthur & The Knights of the Round Table - Originally released 1975

Jon Anderson's

olias of sunhillow 1976

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

All of the yes albums

All of Rush

and a host of the late 70's early eighties punk and alternative i had on viynl

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Mar 4 2006, 05:30 PM)
Other top targets-

James Gang-Bang
Spirit-12 Dreams-thanks for the reminder on this one Hatchet!

Yeah. Spirit. Time Circle is a good two disc box, but a few dreams are not there.

Some things just aren't on CD. Shawn Phillips only has one album available, plus a compilation. I need a turntable.

I was glad to replace my vinyl copy of Chris Squire's 1975 solo album Fish Out of Water on CD last year.

All you Yes fans should check it out; it's really a work of art and very progressive.

I'm too young to have to replace vinyl, but there are a few tapes I used to have that I've re-bought on CD:

The Who: Who's Next

Simon & Garfunkel: Sounds of Silence

Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

Queen: A Kind of Magic

Jethro Tull: Catfish Rising

I think most of my other tapes were recorded from my parent's albums (CD and vinyl), so I didn't have offical copies of them.

I'm such a geek that now I'm going back and buying vinyl albums of bands I like; to me it's worth it for the bigger covers if nothing else. smile.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Mar 5 2006, 02:48 AM)
QUOTE (clearingsky @ Mar 4 2006, 05:30 PM)
Other top targets-

James Gang-Bang
Spirit-12 Dreams-thanks for the reminder on this one Hatchet!

Yeah. Spirit. Time Circle is a good two disc box, but a few dreams are not there.

Don't forget Spirit of '76!!

A complete mindf**k of an album!!

Yeah, Time Circle is fab, it was my introduction to all things Spirit.

RIP Randy.

I used to have a fair amount of albums that I recorded almost all of onto cassette in the 80's and very early 90's since I'd much rather pop on a tape than go through the pain in the ass process of taking out the record from two sleeves, cleaning it, gently putting down the needle and then 20 minutes later having to turn it over, clean it and go through it again and again every 20 minutes. At least with tapes you could put one in an hear an entire album with one button.

Once cd's came into enough prominence that things started getting reissued in greater and greater quanitites, I started getting cd's and selling off my albums. By the early 90's, I had sold all but a handful of albums and soon after disposed of my turntable entirely. Even the ones I had yet to obtain on cd, I just listened to on cassette as the album was too much of a pain anyway. By now, I have most of what I had on album on cd, or at least everything I really wanted to have on cd.

I think albums are great for the artwork, and truly you do miss out by having the miniature versions of the artwork on a cd, but what you get in convenience (now I can stick a bunch of cd's in and just press play) and not having to worry about pops and crackles and going through a ritual every 20 minutes, is more than worth the exchange into the digital age for me...

Wishbone Ash - Argus, you might as well throw that vinyl away. besides your kids will someday clean out the attic, laugh about your warped vinyl collection and then proceed to dump it all in a garbage bin along with the collection of ugly lamps your wife kept.

Why do away with vinyl albums?

They often sound better than CDs - especially if you take those first CD re-releases in the 80s, like the Led Zeppelin back catalogue that sounded as if it had been mastered on a ferro tape without using Dolby.

I made these mistakes in the first years of the CD hype (Rainbow Rising, LedZep 1-Holy, Moving Pictures & AFTK, Maiden's Powerslave, Bruce Cockburn's Stealing Fire ...), but now, with present releases, I sometimes prefer vinyl to a CD, even if it's more expensive.

Not in the car stereo, of course ...

I'm doing the opposite...i'm buying more vinyl because of the quality....then putting them on the computer and then onto ipod because thats the only thing I listen to when i'm outside of my room....f*ck cds.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 4 2006, 11:49 AM)
At this stage I've replaced the entire collections of:

Queen
Aerosmith
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Rory Gallagher
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin

and lots of others.

To be really sad however, one must play the CD and read the lyrics from the vinyl.
wink.gif

I upgraded the works of the following from cassette/LP to CD over the years:

Rush and Pink Floyd most definitely

The Who

The Eagles

Queensryche

KISS

AC/DC

Styx(cut off is Brave New World)

Van Halen

Boston(cut off is Greatest Hits)

Led Zeppelin

Rolling Stones

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 4 2006, 11:27 PM)
I was glad to replace my vinyl copy of Chris Squire's 1975 solo album Fish Out of Water on CD last year.
All you Yes fans should check it out; it's really a work of art and very progressive.

Album was finally released on CD in the US.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 13 2006, 02:12 PM)
One I have wanted to replace, but can't find on CD is David Gilmour's mid 80s solo album "About Face." Loved it, can't find it on cd, and iTunes doesn't have it either. sad.gif

smile.gif Great news, About Face and David Gilmour's self-titled efforts will be re-issued on May 2.

Archived