Purple Sabbath

clearingsky

So a friend borrows me a new release from Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi and Deep Purple vocalist Glenn Hughes and after a couple of listens I'm pretty impressed.A great hard/heavy rockin'sound,unmistakeable Iommi guitar and Hughes does a nice job with the vocals.It's unlikely that I'll buy this CD and so I'll never really get to know it and maybe love it.Do we really give a fair chance to new releases from classic groups from the past?With little or no fanfare these releases go unrecognized to the bins of the superstores

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Mar 1 2006, 07:07 PM)
So a friend borrows me a new release from Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi and Deep Purple vocalist Glenn Hughes and after a couple of listens I'm pretty impressed.A great hard/heavy rockin'sound,unmistakeable Iommi guitar and Hughes does a nice job with the vocals.It's unlikely that I'll buy this CD and so I'll never really get to know it and maybe love it.Do we really give a fair chance to new releases from classic groups from the past?With little or no fanfare these releases go unrecognized to the bins of the superstores

thats the travesty that is the music biz , there is so much great music being made , we prolly only hear about 5 % of it. its all a bunch of suits looking for the flavor of the month . they dont give two shits about good music ,they just care about what they think will make money. i think they dont have a clue.

One of my favorite Black Sabbath albums is "Born Again" that has Ian Gillan from Deep Purple as the vocalist.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 1 2006, 07:29 PM)
One of my favorite Black Sabbath albums is "Born Again" that has Ian Gillan from Deep Purple as the vocalist.

I used to have that on cassette when I was 16....It's mostly considered a dud by most peeps but I liked it..especially Trashed and Zero the Hero...it was just unique with Gillan's pipes roaring with Iommi and Co....

The world tour for this album was infamous because of the "Stonehenge" stage set...turned out it was too big for most of the arenas they played laugh.gif It inspired a certain famous movie called This Is Spinal Tap tongue.gif cool.gif

The album cover was a little freaky...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/l456.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 1 2006, 07:21 PM)

thats the travesty that is the music biz , there is so much great music being made , we prolly only hear about 5 % of it. its all a bunch of suits looking for the flavor of the month . they dont give two shits about good music ,they just care about what they think will make money. i think they dont have a clue.

A travesty,wow I wasn't going to go that far but you are right and you got exactly what I was saying...it's a travesty.And I'm as guilty as anyone in narrowing the scope of new stuff that I'll really get excited about.Another example- I noticed the thread "new Robert Plant" as a Zeppelin fan of yesteryear this is something I should seek out and probably really enjoy.Is this a case of "Too many hands on my time" or "Too many things on my mind"

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 1 2006, 07:21 PM)

I agree. They haven't got the slightest idea what good music is, looking for marketable rubbish only... goodpost.gif

i saw black sabbath on that tour with ian gillan. it's funny, within a one or two year period back then i saw black sabbath with ian gillan, deep purple with ian gillan and rainbow with ritchie blackmore. basically what i'm saying is, i saw smoke on the water performed three times by three different groups! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 2 2006, 02:15 AM)
i saw black sabbath on that tour with ian gillan. it's funny, within a one or two year period back then i saw black sabbath with ian gillan, deep purple with ian gillan and rainbow with ritchie blackmore. basically what i'm saying is, i saw smoke on the water performed three times by three different groups! tongue.gif

Wow! Lucky you! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 1 2006, 09:46 PM)

I used to have that on cassette when I was 16....It's mostly considered a dud by most peeps but I liked it..especially Trashed and Zero the Hero...it was just unique with Gillan's pipes roaring with Iommi and Co....

The world tour for this album was infamous because of the "Stonehenge" stage set...turned out it was too big for most of the arenas they played laugh.gif It inspired a certain famous movie called This Is Spinal Tap tongue.gif cool.gif

I still love that album. Other good tunes in addition to the ones you listed are:

Disturbing the Priest

Digital Bitch

Hot Line

The cover makes me think of what Rosemary's Baby probably looked like since we don't actually see it in the film. Maybe that was the inspiration for cover?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 2 2006, 08:01 AM)

I still love that album. Other good tunes in addition to the ones you listed are:

Disturbing the Priest

Digital Bitch

Hot Line

The cover makes me think of what Rosemary's Baby probably looked like since we don't actually see it in the film. Maybe that was the inspiration for cover?

wow i hate be the first to dispute this but , i owned that album and compared to the ozzy stuff , and dio , i really thought it was bad. after dio did sabbath proud in joining the band , with 2 classic albums. i thought this was a total missmatch of talents. i saw sabbath with dio and it rocked . i saw them with ian gillan and it was dreadfull . i hate to even say it but quiet riot made them look bad . sorry to dissagree but i've always been a big fan and i did not like the gillan era. i did however see gillan a few years later with deep purple and he was awesome.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 2 2006, 08:29 AM)

Disturbing the Priest

Digital Bitch

Hot Line

wow i hate be the first to dispute this but , i owned that album and compared to the ozzy stuff , and dio , i really thought it was bad. after dio did sabbath proud in joining the band , with 2 classic albums. i thought this was a total missmatch of talents. i saw sabbath with dio and it rocked . i saw them with ian gillan and it was dreadfull . i hate to even say it but quiet riot made them look bad . sorry to dissagree but i've always been a big fan and i did not like the gillan era. i did however see gillan a few years later with deep purple and he was awesome.

Of course it doesn't compare to the Ozzy and Dio stuff...I agree the Ozzy and Dio years were by far the superior stuff to the rest of Sabbath's output...Born Again was not a "classic" album by any means but it was an interesting chapter in the Sabbath saga...having said that I'd take Born Again over all those pretend Sabbath lineups in the mid to late 80's...IMO those were Iommi solo projects not Black Sabbath and none of it really impressed me that much....

Absof*ckinlutely awesome. That is arguably the best Sabbath record since Heaven and Hell. Ian's screaming combined with Geezer's bass and Tony's guitar was pure perfection!

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 2 2006, 08:29 AM)

Disturbing the Priest

Digital Bitch

Hot Line

Gotta go w/ Tick on this one. I tried to like it when it came out. Hard. It's almost unlistenable.

Separately, I love Iommi and Gillan. It just didn't happen on that album. Truth to tell, I'm surprised anyone even remembers it.

The only item of true interest here is that Gillan is the only man to star as the lead singer of Black Sabbath and Jesus in "Jesus Christ Superstar". I really like that dichotomy.

just to be clear , i cant compare born again to anything that followed it cause for me the sabbath of the post dio era didnt even exist for me . after i tryed to listen to born again and didnt like it , ignored the stuff that followed.

a little freaky? thats an understatement! it must be Ozzie in the womb

This is probably my all time favorite Sabbath album, with Mob Rules a close second. It's probably their heaviest album ever, and you just can't beat Ian on vocals. I was too young to see this tour, but fortuantely we have many "documentations" of it.

The one thing that killed for a lot of people was the production. I've heard a few reasons why it sounds the way it does, but the most plausible one I heard was due to a blown speaker in the control room that no one knew about until after mixdown was complete. Either way, that's one album I wish someone would remix at some point, and NOT just the remastering we already have.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 2 2006, 05:29 AM)

Disturbing the Priest

Digital Bitch

Hot Line

i can't speak about the album or the material on it since even though i did own it, it was briefly and many, many years ago, and i can't remember thing one about it.

i do remember however that black sabbath were really good in concert, if not outstanding, and that i was impressed by how ian gillan seemed to do a dead-on ozzy during the ozzy songs. as for comparing them to quiet riot, the one thing i remember about THEM opening for sabbath is that they were TERRIBLE, like really, really awful. i actually liked the group and was very disappointed by their performance...

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Mar 1 2006, 04:07 PM)

i know this opinion may likely be unpopular, but here's my take. most "new releases from classic groups from the past" belong in the bins. i find generally that groups i love have, if they're REALLY good, a 5-10 year window MAX where they are putting out great material. any group that's still putting out material 10 years after their 1st album that is as good or better than their earlier works is for me a rarity. i can think of several examples of artist/groups that have made high quality material 10+ years after they started, but it's not a huge list, and the more years you add on to that, the more the number of groups who can pull it off goes down.

i don't know what it is, but i've always been curious. maybe the groups were just hungrier in the beginning and wanted/needed to prove themselves. maybe after a couple/handful of albums they've really said all that they have to say and have exhausted their true creativity, and everything else after that is a recycled attempt to match past glories?

the worst thing for me is when a group does a reunion album. this is usually for a long standing group that hasn't made an album together in 5, 10, even 20 or more years. usually these are awful. in fact, i can't think of one reunion album by any group that is anywhere near the quality of their original material from their glory days. maybe they can still perform their older material in concert to great effect, but in terms of coming up with fresh and exciting original material, it doesn't seem to happen.

anyway, just my two cents. there isn't one rock group out there who've been around for 20-30 years or more where i have any interest in anything they might put out today, save for one obvious notable exception that i don't think i need to mention here... wink.gif

I had the mis fortune to witness the abomination that was Sabbath with Gillan at the Reading Festival where they headlined. After UFO with Chapman on guitar it was without doubt the worst pile of kack i have ever seen.

It was a desperate attempt by Iommi to rekindle the Sabbath flame and Gillan only agreed to join after a heavy drinking session - he was so pissed he couldn't remember he'd agreed till Iommi rang him up to say studio time was booked!

They had one section of the infamous Stonehenge stage set with a little door in it to get on stage and Christ is was dire! If it wasn't so bad it would have been funny. They nearly caused a riot they were so bad...i was in a state of shock...the album production was crap so i was prepared to give them the benefit of doubt which i suppose any band should have when performing their work live. But honestly it was appaling. It was car crash music..you want to leave...you want to turn away from the horror unfolding infront of you but you can't!

How i managed to stay and endure the shambles in front of me i'll never know until...I said to the wife if these lot do Smoke on the Water i'm off! Sure enough somehow they reached the end of the set..walked through the little door, promptly turned round and came back on for the encore. Obviously they misunderstood the howls of derision for applause and played Smoke...i was off.

Back at the tents the arguement ran well into the night, of our group of twenty only two rated it...one of those (my good friend Rab) went on to love Venom (enough said there!)

i suggest that you play Sabotage then Born Again - no contest

QUOTE (Daggy @ Mar 13 2006, 04:15 PM)
I had the mis fortune to witness the abomination that was Sabbath with Gillan at the Reading Festival where they headlined. After UFO with Chapman on guitar it was without doubt the worst pile of kack i have ever seen.

It was a desperate attempt by Iommi to rekindle the Sabbath flame and Gillan only agreed to join after a heavy drinking session - he was so pissed he couldn't remember he'd agreed till Iommi rang him up to say studio time was booked!

They had one section of the infamous Stonehenge stage set with a little door in it to get on stage and Christ is was dire! If it wasn't so bad it would have been funny. They nearly caused a riot they were so bad...i was in a state of shock...the album production was crap so i was prepared to give them the benefit of doubt which i suppose any band should have when performing their work live. But honestly it was appaling. It was car crash music..you want to leave...you want to turn away from the horror unfolding infront of you but you can't!

How i managed to stay and endure the shambles in front of me i'll never know until...I said to the wife if these lot do Smoke on the Water i'm off! Sure enough somehow they reached the end of the set..walked through the little door, promptly turned round and came back on for the encore. Obviously they misunderstood the howls of derision for applause and played Smoke...i was off.

Back at the tents the arguement ran well into the night, of our group of twenty only two rated it...one of those (my good friend Rab) went on to love Venom (enough said there!)

i suggest that you play Sabotage then Born Again - no contest

Maybe you saw them on a really bad night, because while I don't remember a lot about the show, I do remember them being very well received - at least in New Haven, Connecticut!

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 13 2006, 05:57 PM)
i was at the new haven show and it sucked !

tick,

it's so cool that we grew up in the same state and were at so many of the same shows! cool.gif

do you remember the show being badly received by the audience in general or just you and whomever you were with?

also, and no offense, but you are almost 5 years older than me, so it's very likely you remember the show a lot better than i do, especially if you were a big time sabbath fan for awhile prior to that who likely saw them with dio as well so you had a basis of comparison.

i was a sabbath fan, but not a HUGE one, and i was 14 and seeing a LOT of heavy metal concerts in those days. i thought it was a good show and remember them being generally well received, but we are talking about a show that happened 23 years ago here. i was just happy to hear these cool sabbath songs (the ozzy and dio ones) performed live. i also went with a friend who just moved to the u.s. from england who was a huge gillan fan (from his solo / own band albums that i'd never heard), so i know he was thrilled to see them as well.

if memory serves, this was the show where i got my t-shirt and program stolen from me after the show! ohmy.gif

Archived