Nerd instruments!

searchingforxanadu

Does anyone play anything besides bass, guitar, or drums? Haha.

I'm first-chair alto sax at my high school. It's pretty awesome.

I always feel left out here, because my guitar skills are nonexistent.

Are there any people besides me who play geek instruments? . . . . we should throw a TRF party. Right here. On this thread. Let's go.

Seriously though, anyone have anything interesting to say about the other half of the musicians in this world? biggrin.gif

Heck yeah band geeks!!! bekloppt.gif

I play drums, and was on the drumline in high school. I also play the baritone in concert band and marching band at my college. I play the tuba in drum corps. I march with the Colts. The other half of musicians are the best anyways! cool.gif

Edited by progrush2112

Snare drum in the school band... (to me there is a difference between drums and snare drum)

Nothing beats the drum set though. I actually write my own solos. I also can play the marimba. So I guess that counts.

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Feb 27 2006, 10:40 PM)
Does anyone play anything besides bass, guitar, or drums? Haha.

I'm first-chair alto sax at my high school. It's pretty awesome.

I always feel left out here, because my guitar skills are nonexistent.

Are there any people besides me who play geek instruments? . . . . we should throw a TRF party. Right here. On this thread. Let's go.

Seriously though, anyone have anything interesting to say about the other half of the musicians in this world? biggrin.gif

I play the alto saxophone also.

I have a nice Selmer Mark VI that I bought for $400.00 in 1980 or so. (With help from my dad)

Cheers to all the band (and chorus) peeps !

I was a flute player as a young-un. Then I found out that I had little aspiration to follow in Jethero Tull's footsteps, no disrespect to the man of course. I have also played piano since I was thirteen, and probably always will to some extent. It's very theraputic in ways my guitars aren't.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Feb 28 2006, 02:21 PM)
I have a nice Selmer Mark VI that I bought for $400.00 in 1980 or so. (With help from my dad)

Cheers to all the band (and chorus) peeps !

My father bought me a Yamaha for last Christmas. I like it a lot; way better than the Vito I rented before that.

I named my sax Sal.

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Mar 3 2006, 06:50 AM)
I played the cello for seven years.

Cello! *gasp* I'm in love with the cello. . . . it sounds amazing with everything! Tenor sax, flute, piano . . . . I wish I could play the cello. *pouts*

My first two instruments were perhaps the geekiest of all:

1. The recorder. Remember those ridiculous things? Black, plastic and awful sounding. Not even a real instrument, just an introductory thingy.

2. The clarinet. OK maybe not the geekiest of the instruments but close. At least Joe Walsh played one in high school too, and you've got to love Pete Fountain and the big band guys. It's better that french horn, oboe or piccolo anyway. I wanted to play sax but didn't practise enough. Story of my life. cool10.gif

Thank goodness I got into the drums after HS and found out music could actually be fun!

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Mar 11 2006, 12:09 AM)
1. The recorder. Remember those ridiculous things? Black, plastic and awful sounding. Not even a real instrument, just an introductory thingy.

Actually, Bon Scott of AC/DC played the recorder in a band before AC/DC. Interesting nerd fact to know.

Oh my God, I remember those awful things.

Recorders . . . ah . . . they give me nightmares. Haha.

I saw some didgeridoos at World Market the other day. I've always loved the sound of that instrument and I'll probably wind up buying one.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Mar 11 2006, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Mar 1 2006, 10:01 AM)

I named my sax Sal.

That's Alex Lifeson's sister's name. ohmy.gif

Wow!

I named my guitar Lerxst, after the great Alex Lifeson, and my saxophone is named after his sister.

That's pretty awesome. . . .

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Mar 14 2006, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Mar 11 2006, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Mar 1 2006, 10:01 AM)

I named my sax Sal.

That's Alex Lifeson's sister's name. ohmy.gif

Wow!

I named my guitar Lerxst, after the great Alex Lifeson, and my saxophone is named after his sister.

That's pretty awesome. . . .

laugh.gif

Ive never named my instruments. unsure.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 11 2006, 05:23 AM)
1. The recorder.  Remember those ridiculous things? Black, plastic and awful sounding. Not even a real instrument, just an introductory thingy.

Actually, Bon Scott of AC/DC played the recorder in a band before AC/DC. Interesting nerd fact to know.

Another nerd fact about Bon playing nerd instruments is he played the bagpipes. As well as accordian, piano and drums. (Bon's father played drums also.)

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Mar 11 2006, 01:32 PM)

1. The recorder.  Remember those ridiculous things? Black, plastic and awful sounding. Not even a real instrument, just an introductory thingy.

Oh my God, I remember those awful things.

Recorders . . . ah . . . they give me nightmares. Haha.

Ha Ha. Nanny nanny boo boo to you too.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 14 2006, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 11 2006, 05:23 AM)

Another nerd fact about Bon playing nerd instruments is he played the bagpipes. As well as accordian, piano and drums. (Bon's father played drums also.)

Oh yeah, I remember reading that about Bon Scott. What a loss; he really had something. I don't think that makes the recorder a 'real' instrument though. It really is meant to introduce youngsters to the basics.

QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 28 2006, 02:40 PM)
I play the Chapman Stick (shameless ad for http://www.stick.com ). It's definetely not a band instrument, but it's also not a g/b/d, or a key.
There is this really good Stick player here in my hometown. He picked up the chapman stick after an accident.

Jason Brock info.

Excerpt From Jason's site

Jason was born and raised in the North Bay area.  He then moved away for a period of ten years before returning to his hometown.  For a period of fourteen years, Jason considered himself a bass player in earnest.  Unfortunately, in July 1999, a workplace accident rendered it impossible for him to continue playing his original instrument of choice.  It was then that Jason began to play the Stick.  Knowing it could  be played with one hand it seemed possible to regain a hobby that had been lost.  The soft touch of the instrument enabled the right hand to play just as easily as the left despite the chronic pain he felt.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Mar 10 2006, 11:09 PM)

OMG, I completely forgot about those! I was recorder champion of my grade in elementary school! I was a badass, I even have a certificate somewhere I think.