Neils past drum sets

jrdrummer

Which of the brands that Neil has used do you like the best?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the brands that Neil has used do you like the best?

• Slingerland
    • Tama
    • Ludwig
    • DW

Personally, I think each kit had a personality of it's own. The Slingerlands had a great sound and worked well with the earlier music which was pretty heavy! I always thought Slings had a nice throaty sound to them which was great for what Rush was playing at the time.

The first set of Tamas had the same qualities, thick heavy drums tuned well, but when he went to the Artstars, it opened up a resonance that worked well with the 80's music.

The Ludwigs went back to that Slingerland type of sound, when he first got them, When he added the closed concert toms, it changed his "voice" a bit, but when he went to the smaller drums, it really set up that 90's sound with the tighter sounding bass drums and higher pitched toms, the kit he used during the RTB/Counterparts was one of my favorites, since it was still the OLD kit revamped.

I LIKE the sound of the DW's, definately high craftsmanship and tonal perfection, and they really give you that open jazz sound with his lower toms, but it bugs me how he CRANKS the top two-three high toms which sort of defeats the purpose of how those drums are crafted, ok, it's his set, his sounds, but WOW they are a bit cranked!

I honestly can't pick an end all favorite though! They all have great qualities!

Tama - the GUP kit. The "rolls royce" of drum kits.

After that I think he kind of tailed off with the drums becoming less and less a factor on the albums. The swsitch to Ludwig was pretty dumb (Hold Your Fire to Roll The Bones).

He made the right move in going with Drum Workshop in recent years.