Supertramp

floydfanatic111

These guys were a great band. It's a shame that people like to mock them.

They created many great albums, especially Crime of the Century, Crisis What Crisis, Even in the Quietest Moments, Breakfast in America, Famous Last Words and Brother Where You Bound.

I know most people will only mention Bloody Well Right, Give a Little Bit, The Logical Song, Goodbye Stranger, Take the Long Way Home and It's Raining Again. Whilst those are all great songs. There are other great songs like Asylum, Hide in Your Shell, Another Man's Woman, Fool's Overture, Child of Vision, My Kind of Lady, Cannonball and Brother Where You Bound.

One of the things I loved about Supertramp was the ping pong of voices from song to song. One track would be Roger Hodgson's nasal tenor which his songs were spiritual, whimsical and introspective plus he was good at not only guitar but keyboards as well. The next would be Rick Davies' raspy bluesy baritone and he could play piano like no other. Also, John Helliwell's sax playing was like a religious experience and to me he is the greatest sax player in rock history(listen to end solo of Crime of the Century or Fool's Overture or It's Raining Again for proof) and he could play some additional keyboards when either Roger had a guitar strapped on or Rick wasswitching to piano or organ. Also, the rhythm section of Dougie Thomson's bass and Bob Siebenberg's drums were amazing.

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 9 2006, 12:29 AM)
My favorite has to be without a doubt Even in the Quietest Moments. Fool's Overture is my favorite song by Supertramp.

Fool's Overture is an awesome epic. The greatest Supertramp song ever recorded and Even in the Quietest Moments is the best Supertramp album ever!

Great, great band! Other that a mix CD of a few songs from different albums (that's what I got into them with), I have Breakfast in America on vinyl. Some of the best vocals ever! I definitely agree, the "ping pong" is fantastic.

Gonna have to check out "Fool's Overture"...

*Edited* to say that "Some Things Never Change", an album from 1997 is unfortunatly pretty bad... sad.gif I dunno if it's the last album they released, but it's not so good... But hey, I know there are Rush fans that have cloudy feelings for Vapor Trails, so it's all good...

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 9 2006, 03:25 PM)
Great, great band! Other that a mix CD of a few songs from different albums (that's what I got into them with), I have Breakfast in America on vinyl. Some of the best vocals ever! I definitely agree, the "ping pong" is fantastic.

Gonna have to check out "Fool's Overture"...

*Edited* to say that "Some Things Never Change", an album from 1997 is unfortunatly pretty bad... sad.gif I dunno if it's the last album they released, but it's not so good... But hey, I know there are Rush fans that have cloudy feelings for Vapor Trails, so it's all good...

The only great post-Roger Hodgson album was Brother Where You Bound from 1985. Cannonball was the big hit from the album and the highlight was the albums 16 and a half minute title suite which featured Pink Floyd's David Gilmour playing all of the guitar solos on that piece and Thin Lizzy's Scott Gorham(whom was drummer Bob Siebenberg's brother in law) on rhythm guitar on the piece.

I loved Supertramp.

I very rarely listen to them now.

Saw them tour Crime Of The Century. Great visual show from what I can remember. They had a video screen (well super 8 in those days smile.gif ) showing a background of stars and as Crime Of The Century was playing the Hands and the Prison Bars pic got bigger and bigger until it filled the screen at the end of the song.

I lost interest after Crisis, What Crisis.

and once again i have an unpopular comment. i could never get into supertramp. i did like few of their songs, but that's it i don't care for them...

Archived