The Wait of Glory

clearingsky

I have had a chance to give a couple of listens to the new release from Proto-Kaw(Pre-Kansas) The Wait of Glory.For Rush fan/prog fan I would highly recommend.Early listening highlights include:

Nevermore

Physic

Melicus Gladiator

Picture This

and the twisted instrumental Osvaldo's Groceries

My question to you here is: Does the idea of christian based lyrics prevent or dissuade you from listening to a band that has been pigeonholed as a Christian rock band?

Now that i've had ample chance to really get into the new PK,I am astounded and excited to report that this is a fabulous cd all the way through.There is no weakness and there is really nothing else like it.

No takers on the secondary question though?

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Feb 8 2006, 06:18 PM)
I have had a chance to give a couple of listens to the new release from Proto-Kaw(Pre-Kansas) The Wait of Glory.For Rush fan/prog fan I would highly recommend.Early listening highlights include:
Nevermore
Physic
Melicus Gladiator
Picture This

My question to you here is: Does the idea of christian based lyrics prevent or dissuade you from listening to a band that has been pigeonholed as a Christian rock band?

To me it really depends on what direction they are going with thier lyrics for bands with religeous undertones. There is a fine line between lyrics simply commenting on religeon and that of trying to ram it down your throat, and when I feel it does that I cant listen to the music. There are a few bands though that manage to keep constant with thier religeous convictions, and not sound preachy, Depeche Mode readiliy comes to mind as a band that writes about religeon well.

I agree with you Moonraker-and I don't know that PK is pigeonholed as a "christian rock band" in fact there is no discernable difference in Livgrens lyrics whether it be 1974s'Hymn to the Atman 76's Carry on Wayward Son or todays When The Rains Will Come.Yearning,purpose,inspiration and celebration are the themes expressed without being in your face.And musically...you are not going to find anything more accomplished musically today

I need to check that out.

I highly recommend all of Neal Morse's solo disc since leaving Spocks Beard. He now considers himself a Christian Artist. IMHO he is one of the greatest progressive musician/songwriter of all time his new material included.

Sometimes his lyrics are little "too christian" for me but by and large i like his lyrics and he has a killer voice.

check out the reviews for his new disc and more at http://www.nealmorse.com/

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Feb 8 2006, 09:18 PM)
Nevermore
Physic
Melicus Gladiator
Picture This

As a huge Kansas fan, I have been meaning to ask you what you thought of this album clearingsky, since I saw you had the cover as your avatar. Guess my question has already been answered. smile.gif

Christian-themed lyrics don't bother me, as I am a Christian myself (although perhaps not as gung-ho as Livgren). I find Livgen's lyrics more interesting and thoughtful than that of most Christian bands I have heard.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Mar 4 2006, 04:05 PM)
I didn't know that about Neal Morse,Tangdog
Are you talking about Transatlantic-I know someone that is very high on that newer release

I only have on one Transatlantic release but I will buy the others soon. I got the "Live in Europe" DVD which I really enjoy. Transatlantic for those who don't know consists of Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy ( Dream Theater), Roine Stolt ( The Flower Kings) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion). The DVD I have has four songs in excess of 25 minutes so buy this only if you like epics.

Yeah, Neal left Spocks Beard after the "Snow" release. Since then he has released Testimony, One and ?. Neal never fails to deliver beautiful upbeat progressive music.

Not that I really seek out Christian music per se, but I have also heard a few songs by, and lots of very positive reviews for another Christian leaning/Prog group called Salem Hill, I believe they are based out of Nashville.

Archived