Type O Negative

Necromancer

Hello Folks. Nothing brings the spirit of Halloween and Autumn into play more than listening to a Type-O-Negative CD. Right now, I just got done listening to October Rust and am depressed beyond belief now. wink.gif

The album just captures the essence of Autumn with its darkness and depression, and also captivating beauty. This album is quite the departure in sound from TON's previous LP Bloody Kisses. It's a relationships gone bad cd and full of despair and bleakness. Perfect for grabbing a gallon of ice cream and listening to while gorging yourself before slitting your wrists. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I've seen TON numerous times and they never fail to put on a fabulous show. Though the crowd will chant "YOU SUCK" indefinitely at them and Pete and the boys beg for the chants to continue, there is definitely brilliance in their music and playing ability. Steele's severly deep, haunting vocals along with his dirgeful style of distorted bass playing are a perfect combination. His depth of emotion also combined with his sick sense of humor makes TON a very enjoyable act. For those of you familiar with the band, please share your stories, and for those of you not familiar with them, check them out. I would recommend Bloody Kisses and October Rust before branching out into some of their heavier and slightly more depraved material. Enjoy.

I only heard a couple songs from these guys and they are pretty cool. I've heard "Christian Woman" (of course) and that's a cool tune. Also the version of "Black Sabbath" they did on the Tribute album is pretty sweet, and different. I like how they re-did that tune and added a whole lot of their style to it.

I should listen to some more of these guys.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 3 2005, 03:47 PM)
Never heard them. Genre?

I would have to say Goth-Metal. They remind me of a bit of early Sabbath meets Carnivore (Pete Steele's earlier band). They are definitely worth a checking into. The lyrics can be considered offensive on many different levels, but i met Pete and believe me, it's all tongue in cheek. He touches on things that everyone (well almost everyone) has thought about at one time in their lives or another. He makes a mockery of socially serious situations and adds seriousness to things you would consider a total joke. He's simply amazing. He's got the deepest voice of any rock singer i've ever heard that is still audible and talented. Not one of those growlers at all. You can understand everything the guy says. I had the pleasure of meeting the man when the band was passing through our area on their way to Syracuse. I was a waiter at Denny's and he came in at about three in the morning when the place was dead. He was smashed but functioning. The guitarist, Kenny Hickey immediately passed out in a booth and I was about to go home, but I stayed to take his order. He was the coolest rocker i have ever met and i have met a lot. He talked with me openly about the band, the lyrics and the whole Type-O scene. They attract an incredible assortment of femal fans. Pete is a six foot six bodybuilder with long black hair that has appeared in Playgirl and they are one metal band that gets as much women (if not more) as males at their shows. Attending a Type O show is more fun that you can imagine. I've seen about five now. The best ones were with Coal Chamber. I never had the pleasure of seeing them co-headline with Pantera about six years ago, but that would have been an awesome show. Don't expect any Type O cd's to cheer you up. Pete's lyrics are very bleak. Even when he's singing about good stuff, he puts a bad spin on things. I'm listening to EVERYONE I LOVE IS DEAD right now, if that gives you any hint to what i'm talking about. I would download a song or two first. They are an acquired taste, but once you start liking them, you'll buy the collection quickly. But if you're manic depressive... STAY AWAY. LOL.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

advice on downloads:

1) Christian Woman: A song about a heavily sexually repressed girl in an all girl catholic school that has fantasies about a certain messiah. Found on the CD Bloody Kisses

2) Black #1 - This is their IRON MAN. The song deals with the goth chick culture that follow the band non stop. The title refers to the hair dye color they use in their hair. Also on Bloody Kisses.

3) Love You to Death - A love song gone bad. LOL. The tale of one man's obsession with a woman that possibly looked down at him at one time. Now he's got her, so to speak. Found on October Rust.

4) Wolf Moon (Including Zoanthropic Paranoia) - This is a perfect example of what i'm talking about. Pete takes something that a lot of people would rather not talk about, and i'll even let you find out for yourself, but believe me, a real man would understand this song no problem. This track is also found on October Rust.

5) White Slavery - This brilliant song is about cocaine addiction. Pete's plays on words in this song are sheer genius. Track found on World Coming Down.

That's all for now. If you get these songs, you'll want more. If you go for a CD purchase, i recommend starting with Bloody Kisses.

Now we are talking - a band which is unlike any other - i first saw them on VH1 Rock Show and was immediatley impressed by the whole gothic look but more importantly the music. It was just before Xmas and a request for at least 1 cd appeared on my "must haves" list - my girlfriend presented me with "October Rust" and knew immediately that she'd made a mistake when i insisted on playing it - well it was Xmas and you don't wanna be to cheerful do you?

I don't even know if i've got all their cds but getting hold of "The Origin of the Feces" proved to be the hardest - HMV weren't too keen on ordering it in for me, for some reason!

I must agree with previous posts go for "Bloody Kisses" first if only for their version of "Summer Breeze" - it's brilliant, "Black Number 1" is awesome and the ultra friendly "We hate everyone" i just love!

I'd recommend "World coming down" too, how it didn't win shit loads of grammies i don't know!

Another thing i love about them is the song titles, a sign i think that tongues are firmly wedged in cheeks at times with brackets stating things like (dance mix) and (extended depression mix) show that they don't take themselves to seriously.

Check out their dvd and listen to the commentry extremely funny stuff.

Unfortunately i've yet to see them live - so fingers crossed on a tour soon, missed the last one completely.

We are hosting a fancy dress All Hallows Eve bash here for which i have burned 8 cds worth of Halloween related tunes and special effects - rest assured Type O figure extremely highly on those discs! At least i'll have a goodtime even if no one else will!

QUOTE (Daggy @ Oct 19 2005, 03:25 PM)

Unfortunately i've yet to see them live - so fingers crossed on a tour soon, missed the last one completely.

Do NOT miss any chance to see them live. They are a phenomenal live band. They cater to the crowd also. If there's a lot of girls, which tends to happen a lot, they'll play a lot off October Rust. If it's a hardcore mosh club, then be ready for a heavier Origin of the Feces and CARNIVORE heavy set. Pete's humor always comes shining through at either type show. He'll lead the crowd in chants of YOU SUCK. Don't think I EVER seen anything like that before. I actually met him one night at Denny's when i was a waiter, and somehow, i honestly think he believes that they DO suck. He's a riot. Make sure to check them out next chance you get. I hear they're ready to record again soon, so it might not be too long before another tour. Later. By the way... can i come to the Halloween Party? 1022.gif

This band is really heavy. They did the most awesome cover of "Lord Of This World", on the Black Sabbath tribute CD called N.I.B.

Worth checking out if you haven't heard it yet.

Greetings Necromancer

Thought i'd say Happy Halloween!!

Our party was a great success - everyone entered into the swing and came in their finest gothic/halloween outfits - our house looked like the staffroom at Hogwarts!

We had planned ahead and got a barrel of 72 pints of ale in from a local brewery - 7 of us chipped in for it, everyone else brought their own ale, but it proved such a good idea that we're gonna order 2 barrels for New Year Eve!. 3 of us had to finish the ale off last night - well, we had paid for it hadn't we? That's our excuse anyway! trink38.gif

Type O caused abit of a stir especially amongst a couple of the older lady guests but on the whole was well received - i think i made have converted a few to the Type O way of life (or is it Death?)

Even went Trick or Treating with my littl girl Lily this evening - it was an excuse to wear my Grim Reaper outfit once again, loved every minute of it!

Hope that you had a excellent All Hallows Eve - Cheers! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Daggy @ Oct 31 2005, 06:07 PM)
Greetings Necromancer

Thought i'd say Happy Halloween!!

Our party was a great success - everyone entered into the swing and came in their finest gothic/halloween outfits - our house looked like the staffroom at Hogwarts!

We had planned ahead and got a barrel of 72 pints of ale in from a local brewery - 7 of us chipped in for it, everyone else brought their own ale, but it proved such a good idea that we're gonna order 2 barrels for New Year Eve!. 3 of us had to finish the ale off last night - well, we had paid for it hadn't we? That's our excuse anyway! trink38.gif

Type O caused abit of a stir especially amongst a couple of the older lady guests but on the whole was well received - i think i made have converted a few to the Type O way of life (or is it Death?)

Even went Trick or Treating with my littl girl Lily this evening - it was an excuse to wear my Grim Reaper outfit once again, loved every minute of it!

Hope that you had a excellent All Hallows Eve - Cheers! trink39.gif

Hey Daggy.

Sounds like you had a great time. I took my kids to a Terror Trail that used to be pretty good, but has become very lame over the years. I went wearing my full length leather and full fangs. I had the kids in our group more afraid of me than the actors. LOL. No parties with any adults. All my friends are lameo's anymore. Glad you had a good one though. Keep on converting the masses.

I'm donating tomorrow.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Feb 8 2006, 10:51 PM)
Oops. Didn't see this thread, altho I did look. Sorry for the repost on my thread!!!

I love that song, Love you to death!!!

There's just times in almost everyone's life when this album (October Rust) can be very therapeautic. laugh.gif

I know it's extremely dark and edgy, but he hits the nail on the head with some of his lyrics regarding relationships.

Glad to see you getting into them Kris. Check out World Coming Down for more twisted combinations of depression and humor. laugh.gif

Type O Negative Update:

This is all directly from people who KNOW the band (or are possibly even IN the band).

Pete and the boys are currently working on the new CD. There have been personal and health issues related to Pete, but he's feverishly back at doing what he does best... WRITING. Last month I had the pleasure of seeing EARL'S COURT, which features Johnny Kelley (Type O's drummer as if you didn't already know), and they were awesome. I got to chat with Johnny and some other folks associated with TON and they assured me there WILL be NEW TON material available soon. All the boys are working at seperate things to keep the bills paid during the hiatus, but TON is FIRST AND FOREMOST on their list. Johnny is also soon to be working with Danzig again.

Hopefully soon folks we'll hear the new TON.

Archived