The Rolling Stones at the Superbowl

rushgoober

i did not watch the superbowl. i do not watch TV. i do not like the stones. never had , never will. only a few songs have been catchy radio tunes, but would never spend my money on them. anyone who has to do the superbowl and all that crap on TV is selling out anyway it's all B.S. but to each his own.

Two weeks late to the debat here comes my two cents.

Parents are sick of this Hip-Hop culture....and after the Janet Jackson incident no one wants J-Lo, 50 Cent or Beyonce. There are some good new rock bands today but no one is truly GREAT. The Killers would have been the best choice if the makers of the super bowl actually cared.

I think what they were thinking about is the new "revival" of classic rock in today's teens. But this "revival" is mostly Led Zeppelin, The doors, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix. Bonham, Morrison and Hendrix are dead and Pink FLoyd isn't gonna reunite for some silly football game.

The Rolling Stones actually had the highest grossing concert run of 2005. Close second was U2.

I think that U2 should have played the super bowl...but not "vertigo." Let Bono go out there with his message and save some souls. Setlist being "Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a moment," and "peace and love, or else" My dad said as we shaking our heads at the Stones "Maybe they asked Bono to do it. He probably said 'Ok if you donate all proceeds to Africa'" laugh.gif

that would have been brilliant Corporate America...

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Feb 20 2006, 01:05 PM)
Two weeks late to the debat here comes my two cents.

Parents are sick of this Hip-Hop culture....and after the Janet Jackson incident no one wants J-Lo, 50 Cent or Beyonce. There are some good new rock bands today but no one is truly GREAT. The Killers would have been the best choice if the makers of the super bowl actually cared.

I think what they were thinking about is the new "revival" of classic rock in today's teens. But this "revival" is mostly Led Zeppelin, The doors, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix. Bonham, Morrison and Hendrix are dead and Pink FLoyd isn't gonna reunite for some silly football game.

The Rolling Stones actually had the highest grossing concert run of 2005. Close second was U2.

I think that U2 should have played the super bowl...but not "vertigo." Let Bono go out there with his message and save some souls. Setlist being "Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a moment," and "peace and love, or else" My dad said as we shaking our heads at the Stones "Maybe they asked Bono to do it. He probably said 'Ok if you donate all proceeds to Africa'" laugh.gif

that would have been brilliant Corporate America...

I'll take this subpar Stones performance over U2 8 days a week.

If you noticed whenever the drummer hit the snare...he stopped hitting the hi hat...he would hit them both at the same time...wierd.

At the superbowl party I was at everybody was loving them. I never really heard the stones and I didnt really get to hear them that night.

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Feb 21 2006, 12:36 AM)
If you noticed whenever the drummer hit the snare...he stopped hitting the hi hat...he would hit them both at the same time...wierd.

At the superbowl party I was at everybody was loving them. I never really heard the stones and I didnt really get to hear them that night.

They really are a great band...do not judge them by their bad performance on the superbowl.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 21 2006, 10:50 AM)

They really are a great band...do not judge them by their bad performance on the superbowl.

no, i agree they are a great band circa 1964-1972 who stumbled through 1981 with some occasional good songs before they really had no more value other than sentimental. a great band that should have quit years ago while they were ahead, but if they still like playing and people still like watching them, far be it from me to get in the way of the endless stream of medicority that is the music scene of the last 25 years... wink.gif

remember people - my OPINION only - please don't massacre me for it... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 21 2006, 10:58 AM)

no, i agree they are a great band circa 1964-1972 who stumbled through 1981 with some occasional good songs before they really had no more value other than sentimental. a great band that should have quit years ago while they were ahead, but if they still like playing and people still like watching them, far be it from me to get in the way of the endless stream of medicority that is the music scene of the last 25 years... wink.gif

remember people - my OPINION only - please don't massacre me for it... ph34r.gif

Check out their new album...I would say it's as good as anything they did in the 70s.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 21 2006, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 21 2006, 10:58 AM)

Check out their new album...I would say it's as good as anything they did in the 70s.

I would have to agree with that. It is a great album. Now we just have to forget the '80's (I know I already have... tongue.gif)

QUOTE (CloserToTheHEART @ Feb 22 2006, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Feb 21 2006, 03:36 AM)

I noticed that! It drove me insane! I figured it was his style but on every song?

Charlie Watts has ALWAYS played like this.

Actually they didn't seem that bad to me can't see how anybody can be to critical with the over hype cheesy glitz that is known as the SUPER BOWL. Thought that Aerosmith performance a few years ago was way worse.

I'm a great fan of the late 60's early 70's Stones but now they are all about the mighty buck...they still occasionally come out with the odd good song (Bigger Bang is actually pretty good) but for th most part they should hang it up....I was more pissed at the censorship crap the network was pulling sarcasm.gif

Besides I don't bother with halftime shows regardless of who they are...(unless maybe 2.gif is doing it but we all know that'll never happen)

I did a search for The Rolling Stones and this thread came up:

Keith Richards Hospitalized in New Zealand

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards suffered a mild concussion while vacationing in Fiji and was flown to a New Zealand hospital for treatment, a band spokeswoman said Saturday.

Media reports said Richards fell out of a palm tree and remained hospitalized in Auckland.

Richards, 62, suffered a mild concussion while on holiday in Fiji earlier this week and was flown to New Zealand, band spokeswoman Fran Curtis said in a statement.

"Following treatment locally and as a precautionary measure, he flew to a hospital accompanied by his wife, Patti, for observation," Curtis said.

The statement did not elaborate on Richards' condition.

But media reports in Australian and New Zealand said Richards hurt his head after falling out of a palm tree at an exclusive Fiji resort and remained hospitalized in Auckland.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 29 2006, 08:46 AM)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards suffered a mild concussion while vacationing in Fiji and was flown to a New Zealand hospital for treatment, a band spokeswoman said Saturday.

Media reports said Richards fell out of a palm tree and remained hospitalized in Auckland.

Richards, 62, suffered a mild concussion while on holiday in Fiji earlier this week and was flown to New Zealand, band spokeswoman Fran Curtis said in a statement.

"Following treatment locally and as a precautionary measure, he flew to a hospital accompanied by his wife, Patti, for observation," Curtis said.

But media reports in Australian and New Zealand said Richards hurt his head after falling out of a palm tree at an exclusive Fiji resort and remained hospitalized in Auckland.

Wow, he fell out of a palm tree. Maybe he was drunk/stoned. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 29 2006, 10:50 AM)

Probably.

Keith will never die, though. That guy is invincible.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 29 2006, 05:07 PM)

Probably.

rofl3.gif Wow...

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 29 2006, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 29 2006, 05:07 PM)

Probably.

rofl3.gif Wow...

If Keith only had one arm, I hear an old joke taking shape here:

"How do you get a one armed, aging, rock star out of a tree?"

Wave to him! bekloppt.gif tongue.gif

Archived