The Rolling Stones at the Superbowl

rushgoober

Disclaimer:

All of this is MY OPINION, so please don't trash me too harshly for it, though feel free to vehemently disagree.

I was at first a bit skeptical about the Stones playing the Superbowl. My general feeling is that some groups just don't know when to give up the ghost. I thought, they'll probably play Start Me Up, and why? Because they haven't written a memorable song since. I honestly can't think of one hit they've had since the Tattoo You album in 1981 that is memorable, and I generally feel like they only get airplay and videos shown BECAUSE they're the Rolling Stones, and if their music was being judged on its own merits from a new band, they never would have even gotten a major record deal in many, many years. I'm not saying they don't still have some good music, because maybe they do. I admit to not having bought a single album of theirs from the 80's, 90's or 2000's, and only know the singles they release periodically. They can be mildly catchy, but are usually IMHO instantly forgettable - mere shadows of what they once were.

Anyway, I was therefore not surprised when they of course DID open with Start Me Up. Then they played a song I didn't recognize which was a new song, and I have to admire them for playing a new song - it was actually pretty good, but you won't exactly have me running to the record store to buy it either. Then they played Satisfaction. Another super old song that I love, but get a little weary of seeing it performed 40-years later.

They were good, I admired their energy, especially Mick, who apparently doesn't know he's in his 60's, but I dunno, it bothers me that they have to rely mostly on classic material because they really don't have it anymore. Ironically, I was at a crowded superbowl party and people there just LOVED it - man, they were smiling and clapping and they were SO into it.

I guess that's why the Stones can still sell out tours and get people all frenzied. For me, all I could think about was how over the hill they were. As over the hill groups go, they can still play and Mick can still sing and dance like a demon, so that did impress me. If they were still making vital, interesting, memorable music though, that would impress me infinitely more...

Sound quality = Terrible

Performance = Terrible

Production = Terrible

Mick's energy = Outstanding

Overall, possibly a career ending move on the Stones part. But then again, the general public doesn't care and probably thought it was the greatest thing ever!

Bad choice of entertainment if you ask me, despite the bad performance. Why not have the 'newest, most popular' artist perform?

I'll takes boobs over that show anyday!! laugh.gif

I thought the performance was decent. Start Me Up was sickening as it is constantly played on the radio. I actually really liked that new song they played from their new album (I believe the song was called Rough Justice). Satisfaction... I was thinking... Well I'm certainly not satisfied with this performance. But remember guys, they're really OLD! That's why they, yes, should give up performing. Another good example is pro wrestler, Ric Flair. He started wrestling in the 70's and is STILL going somewhat strong today. Now he DESPERATELY needs to give it up. Just my opinion on all of this.

common001.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

It wasn't the greatest performance ever I know.

But...and it's a fairly big but....I would rather watch/listen to the Stones than some talentless set of wasters who have been put together just to sell cds to pre pubesent girls anyday of the week.

And remember that their input into rock music over the decades has been pretty impressive - why should they call it aday? Because they're old? mmm sorry but NO! At what age would you suggest Rush knock it on the head? The big 60's are speeding towards them even as I type...so deep breath people let it out slowly and remember..IT'S MUSIC IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUN...except where manufactured crap is concerned of course!!

Anyhow what where all those blokes in crash helmets doing before and after the Stones were on? z7shysterical.gif

I thought the new song"rough justice" I think was the title sounded pretty good.But the stones just don't do much to excite me musically or otherwise.Regarding the crowd response,inside the mouth ring it seemed to be a phony aerobic exercise,everyone jumping up and down,part of the show,visual effect for the TV audience.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Feb 8 2006, 03:54 AM)
Regarding the crowd response,inside the mouth ring it seemed to be a phony aerobic exercise,everyone jumping up and down,part of the show,visual effect for the TV audience.

It MIGHT have been, and I have no doubt that they were instructed to "go crazy", but when I was at this superbowl party and I got to watch 20 people react to the show, most of all them got super excited and were extremely energetic. I think I even heard comments like "The Stones are the BEST." I had a an extremely muted reaction as I was just kind of analyzing, and I was pretty shocked at how excited people got. I didn't think personally it warranted that, but what the hell do I know? confused13.gif

I thought it was great. My daughters got to watch it as well before bed time. They liked it too.

All I know is - I would give anything to have that much energy and look that good when I reach what most consider to be retirement age. Not to say I think Mick's a looker or anything like that. Not my point, at all.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 8 2006, 06:19 AM)
I thought it was great. My daughters got to watch it as well before bed time. They liked it too.

All I know is - I would give anything to have that much energy and look that good when I reach what most consider to be retirement age. Not to say I think Mick's a looker or anything like that. Not my point, at all.

So, basically you're saying that he's hot and you want to do him? confused13.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 8 2006, 09:19 AM)

really pags you think mick looks good ? i think he looks great physically, as in he's in great shape. his face however is nothing to write home about and i hope i do better than that at his age. now the music i thought was stale , poorly played and i couldnt help but think , this is what you get cause the music being made in general over the past 20 years is so irrelivent. with some exceptions of coarse. on a funny note, could you imagine rush playing the superbowl and a bunch of kids and such jumping up and down waving stuff in a pit made to look like a brain or an owl . tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 8 2006, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 8 2006, 09:19 AM)
I thought it was great.  My daughters got to watch it as well before bed time.  They liked it too.

All I know is - I would give anything to have that much energy and look that good when I reach what most consider to be retirement age.  Not to say I think Mick's a looker or anything like that.  Not my point, at all.

really pags you think mick looks good ? i think he looks great physically, as in he's in great shape. his face however is nothing to write home about and i hope i do better than that at his age. now the music i thought was stale , poorly played and i couldnt help but think , this is what you get cause the music being made in general over the past 20 years is so irrelivent. with some exceptions of coarse. on a funny note, could you imagine rush playing the superbowl and a bunch of kids and such jumping up and down waving stuff in a pit made to look like a brain or an owl . tongue.gif

Dudes.... looks good physically, and has a high energy level. STOP THERE!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 7 2006, 05:28 PM)
And about Keith hacking on the stage.  I thought he was about to cough up a lung.

laugh.gif I noticed that too

All in all I thought it was a good show..I've seen the Stones Live more than I've seen Rush (maybe I shouldn't be admitting that here at the Rush forum) unsure.gif tongue.gif You have to admit, Mick is the man of energy!..the guy is non-stop. I hope to hell I can bounce around like that at 60 653.gif

I agree, its time for them to hang up their hat as far as touring is concerned..but their music stands the test of time, or they wouldn't sell out the shows they do after 40 years.

At least The Rolling Stones and Macca played live at the last two Super Bowls unlike that old skank Janet Jackson whose career took a hit after the infamous Nipplegate scandal in 2004. I knew something was going to happen at that show so I shut the halftime of the 2004 off the TV and cranked Yes on the stereo and my niece and nephew griped but I had a bad feeling something was going to happen. When I got told of the Nipplegate scandal a few hours later from my father, I told him what I did by shutting the halftime off and he said I did the right thing. If my older sister had me show my at the time 4 year old nephew nudity, I would have been crucified.

I saw them 3 years ago, and they were great. My friend saw them in November, and he said they were great. Their new album, A Bigger Bang, is as good as anything they did in the 70s.

The Super Bowl performance was an embarrassment for all involved.

I think this year they have proven that even though their new albums have sucked for the last 20+ years, they still had one great album left in them.

After this tour is over, I think their latest album would be a fabulous way for them to hang it up.

Archived