Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

My ranking of the few that I've heard:

Awake

Images

ADTOE

Six Degrees

Octavarium

Awake is currently my primary reason for still caring about DT. So glad I finally listened to this.

If you haven’t already, listen to the Twelve Step Suite.

What album is that on?

It's a sequence of songs that talk about the AA's 12 Steps into sobriety. They're on the following albums: Six Degrees, Train of Thought, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Portnoy planned to play those songs in a row in the next DT tour, but then he left the band. He played them in a project called "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress", created specifically for him to play those songs. The other musicians in the band were from Haken and Neal Morse Band.

• Like 2

Eh, most of the 12-step suite songs are average DT tunes, and even as a whole, the suite is tedious and repetitive.

And the laugher is, when you look at how childish Portnoy has acted since leaving the band, it's obvious that he learned nothing from the lyrics he wrote.

• Like 2

Eh, most of the 12-step suite songs are average DT tunes, and even as a whole, the suite is tedious and repetitive.

And the laugher is, when you look at how childish Portnoy has acted since leaving the band, it's obvious that he learned nothing from the lyrics he wrote.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you on how Portnoy is after leaving DT. As much as he's a drummer I look up to very highly, he's in way too many bands for me to keep track of to say the least.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you on how Portnoy is after leaving DT. As much as he's a drummer I look up to very highly, he's in way too many bands for me to keep track of to say the least.

The departure from DT filled him with this incredible need to be wanted and loved. That's why he's done so many things since then. At least that's the way it comes off to me.

• Like 2

He's never gotten over the Whole DT thing. and i don't know the man. but i get the sense that it eats at him that they actually went on without him.

Mick

And if Mangini ever had to leave...

Portnoy would be calling up Petrucci and the rest in minutes.

• Like 2

He's never gotten over the Whole DT thing. and i don't know the man. but i get the sense that it eats at him that they actually went on without him.

Mick

And if Mangini ever had to leave...

Portnoy would be calling up Petrucci and the rest in minutes.

You know it, lol. i don't know how i'd fill about portnoy back.

i didn't really like they're last 2 efforts with him in the band. i felt he was dominating things too much.

if you watch the Systematic Chaos documentary. they looked miserable and Mike was in his own world steering the ship, lol.

"This is what DT NEEDS bro!!!"

and that's a quote, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Add to that....Sure the Astonishing was a dud. but i feel the previous two Mangini records were 2 of their best in YEARS,

Especially the self titled......i adore that album.

Miick

It has to bother Portnoy that their first two albums without him are excellent and that they dared to write something like Illumination Theory without him.

• Like 2

Add to that....Sure the Astonishing was a dud. but i feel the previous two Mangini records were 2 of their best in YEARS,

Miick

It has to bother Portnoy that their first two albums without him are excellent and that they dared to write something like Illumination Theory without him.

Not long after one of those two records Mike had his t-Shirt meltdown on Twitter.

Someone DARED to wear a post-portnoy shirt to a portnoy signing.

it was funny actually, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Miick

Not long after one of those two records Mike had his t-Shirt meltdown on Twitter.

Mick

This is the difference between egomaniac Portnoy and ego-centric Gene Simmons from that recent video in the Kiss thread. Gene and Paul made an interviewer exchange his Iron Maiden shirt for a Kiss shirt in order to continue the interview with Kiss, but they didn't get upset about it, it was purely business (and nearly a bit of a joke) to them. Someone wears the "wrong" shirt to a Portnoy signing, and he gets upset and posts on social media about how "wrong" that is. I find the Kiss story actually pretty funny and totally Kiss and Gene being his greedy self. I find the Portnoy story just childish and sad.

• Like 1

Miick

Mick

This is the difference between egomaniac Portnoy and ego-centric Gene Simmons from that recent video in the Kiss thread. Gene and Paul made an interviewer exchange his Iron Maiden shirt for a Kiss shirt in order to continue the interview with Kiss, but they didn't get upset about it, it was purely business (and nearly a bit of a joke) to them. Someone wears the "wrong" shirt to a Portnoy signing, and he gets upset and posts on social media about how "wrong" that is. I find the Kiss story actually pretty funny and totally Kiss and Gene being his greedy self. I find the Portnoy story just childish and sad.

and for these reasons. i really don't want Portnoy anywhere near DT again

I've been a fan since 97

and i won't lie when the news broke he had left i did a jig, lol

and DT made me proud to be a fan with the following 2 records.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

By the way........Sons of Apollo was complete crap. sorry if their are fans here.

no where close to your best Mike.

Mick

Portnoy has so many bands and side projects since leaving DT. I don't pay attention to any of them because it just seems like too much to keep track of.

i only keep track of 3

Transatlantic

Flying Colors

Neal Morse Band

honestly he's been doing pretty great work with the last 2

I just wish he didn't have musical ADD, lol

Mick

I don't mind the musical ADD myself.

I like about 80 percent of what Portnoy's done.

I pretty much love everything except for Adrenaline

Mob, Big Elf, Avenged Sevenfold. I'd rate Sons Of Apollo above that, but not my much.

I'm pretty much into the rest of it.....even the Winery Dogs (though I like them better live.)

By the way........Sons of Apollo was complete crap. sorry if their are fans here.

no where close to your best Mike.

Mick

Wouldn't exactly call it crap. I'd use "uninspired" myself.

Agreed

Miick

The Astonishing would be a stone cold masterpiece if the lyrics were even 50 percent better. It's a shame really.

OK......Calling SOA crap was strong but i will say i get the strange feeling DT would have been dragged this way if Portnoy was still steering. yet another reason i'm glad he's history.

And he and derek had been acting like dicks during the release of this thing. So screw them.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

OK......Calling SOA crap was strong but i will say i get the strange feeling DT would have been dragged this way if Portnoy was still steering. yet another reason i'm glad he's history.

And he and derek had been acting like dicks during the release of this thing. So screw them.

Mick

What have Mike and Derek been doing to come off as dicks?

Mick

What have Mike and Derek been doing to come off as dicks?

It's more Dereck but he said something along the lines of if you want harder music as opposed to some Disney crap (an obvious cheap shot at DT and the astonishing( come to us.

i'll have to see if i can find it again. now it could have been fake but with these dudes ya never know. lol

Mick

Derek said "no cheesy apps on Sons of Apollo", and "Mike and I were the only rockers in Dream Theater", and a bunch of other things. I thought it was funny when he first started with those comments, but he kept going on and on about it, almost like he was still butthurt about being icked out of Dream Theater in 1998. He was so cool about it all the time, and even played with them one night in 2004, when Charlie Dominici also joined them on stage. I don´t know why he brought out all that anger now, almost 20 years after the fact.
  • Like 2

Derek said "no cheesy apps on Sons of Apollo", and "Mike and I were the only rockers in Dream Theater", and a bunch of other things. I thought it was funny when he first started with those comments, but he kept going on and on about it, almost like he was still butthurt about being icked out of Dream Theater in 1998. He was so cool about it all the time, and even played with them one night in 2004, when Charlie Dominici also joined them on stage. I don´t know why he brought out all that anger now, almost 20 years after the fact.

This. Sherinian has shown himself to be a monster douche in the last six months, which pretty came out of nowhere. I don't think Portnoy is a bad guy per se, but he's just extremely touch and sensitive, and gets bent out of shape over just about anything that he perceives as a slight against him.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 1

I watched that Eddie Trunk clip, Derek seriously sounds like a jilted lover who obsessively talks about how much of a piece of shit their ex is. It's a shame because he's one of my favorite keyboardists. Edited by fraroc

that's it, Rod thanks. yea i paraphrased a bit, lol

Mike i expect it from. But Dereck kinda took aback. I always thought i would have liked one more DT album with Dereck. now i'm thinking.....yea thank god we didn't.

Mick

Do you think it's a fair assessment to say that Mike Portnoy is the Dennis DeYoung of Dream Theater?

I've actually softened on deyoung a bit. I think yes he made mistakes. but if you watch him talk now. i think he knows it. And he's nothing but gracious when discussing JY and tommy. i'm still not overly fond of deyoung's voice though.

Can't say the same thing for JY who is STILL bitter. Great new record aside.

Mick

Dereck is just being a shitass. for no reason.