Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I first tried to get into Symphony x in 2005 - I bought The Divine Wings of Tragedy. I knew it was something special, but just couldn´t digest the whole thing at the time. They have choruses so rich that would fill other band´s whole albums. My advice to get into them would be:

1) if you´re into shorter, more direct songs, try their latest, Underworld, or their previous one, Iconoclast. Those two are their Moving pictures and Permanent Waves;

2) If you´re into concept albums, go straight to V-The New Mythology Suite, which is their 2112, given the right proportions. I love this album, it´s one of m,y favourites EVER, by any band. And I only heard it for the first time last year!

If you´re into concept albums, go straight to V-The New Mythology Suite, which is their 2112, given the right proportions. I love this album, it´s one of m,y favourites EVER, by any band. And I only heard it for the first time last year!

http://www.farah.cl/SB/vv.jpg

Two terriffic prog albums from the year 2000.

• Like 2

If you´re into concept albums, go straight to V-The New Mythology Suite, which is their 2112, given the right proportions. I love this album, it´s one of m,y favourites EVER, by any band. And I only heard it for the first time last year!

http://www.farah.cl/SB/vv.jpg

Two terriffic prog albums from the year 2000.

i love both. Fantastic albums

Mick

Never got into Symphony X or Fates Warning. Didn't do anything for me live either.

Though I sold back the Symphony X albums I had, I did keep a Fates Warning album for a few songs. At Fates Hands/Fingers is pretty cool.

Tickets for my show are only $32.50. That's about ten bucks cheaper than I expected. Not a bad price at all.

My buddy just called me with the code for tomorrow morning. I'm actually excited about his show on October 25th at The Fox in Oakland!! One of my favorite venues in the Bay Area!!

"Images And Words" all the way through!!! As Team America would shout.... "FUCKK YEAH!"

• Like 1

No Florida dates.

Real real bummer.

No Florida dates.

Real real bummer.

They don't seem to ever play there if I remember correctly. I wonder why that is?

Last time they came down to South Florida was ADTOE tour and I had seen them previously on both the Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds tours.

They did hit Orlando for The Astonishing Tour which I had zero interest in seeing.

But to snub us for the self titled album tour and now this Evening Wth is a huge bummer.

Just watched Shattered Fortress do "The Mirror" live. That singer is better than JB.

He's also 20+ years younger. JLB at the age Ross Jennings is now was miles ahead of where Jennings will ever be (and I like Jennings as a singer, for the most part).

• Like 1

Just watched Shattered Fortress do "The Mirror" live. That singer is better than JB.

He's also 20+ years younger. JLB at the age Ross Jennings is now was miles ahead of where Jennings will ever be (and I like Jennings as a singer, for the most part).

True!

I used to love James back in the day. Sad what age can do! That's life!

I think another thing that ruins James' performance is not simply age, but his stylistic choices of how to sing songs. A lot of times he could easily sing in tune if he chose an easier melody, but he keeps going on for the higher range stuff and trying to improvise live, which ruins a lot of his performances.
  • Like 1

I think another thing that ruins James' performance is not simply age, but his stylistic choices of how to sing songs. A lot of times he could easily sing in tune if he chose an easier melody, but he keeps going on for the higher range stuff and trying to improvise live, which ruins a lot of his performances.

Yep. To this day, I don't know why he does that It often sounds terrible, yet he always tries doing crazy stuff.

• Like 2

Yep. To this day, I don't know why he does that It often sounds terrible, yet he always tries doing crazy stuff.

You guys are both correct.

• Like 1

Freakin' Lebrie...i love the guy but it's like know one's told him less can be more.

Havin' said that. i listened to a bunch of DT Albums today. still in my top tier bands.....no matter what anyone says.

Mick

• Like 1

Earl, I know you're excited to see them do all of Images and Words but do you know what their encore is for this tour? I think you may dig it a lot.

No my friend! I don't know the encore! I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to cheat and look what it is! My buddy told me that I will love it!

This will be my first time seeing Dream Theater without Mike!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Earl, I know you're excited to see them do all of Images and Words but do you know what their encore is for this tour? I think you may dig it a lot.

No my friend! I don't know the encore! I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to cheat and look what it is! My buddy told me that I will love it!

Technically I didn't cheat by looking at the set. Because they started the tour in Europe earlier this year and there was no talk of bringing the tour over here. So, I did check it when the tour started.

You may not dig the first set too much. More newer stuff. I guess Images in full and the encore is enough for most though.

• Like 1

Technically I didn't cheat by looking at the set. Because they started the tour in Europe earlier this year and there was no talk of bringing the tour over here. So, I did check it when the tour started.

You may not dig the first set too much. More newer stuff. I guess Images in full and the encore is enough for most though.

Thanks for the heads up! Hoping for at least a few off of "Awake." "Train Of Thought" is a very easy album to rip because it sounds like a Metallica cover record, but I like it.

I did enjoy a lot of the self titled Dream Theater album. I do adore "Octavarium."

Alas I am excited about this tour.

Hey, I loved the second set over the first set of R40 too! LOL! Duh! Right?

• Like 1

Earl, don't miss it!!!! I think they're still discussing changes to the first half of the setlist, but the second one stays intact. You're in for a treat! Looking forward to reading your post here after the show saying "THEY BLEW MY FRIGGIN' MIND!!!!"