Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

That's the Thing about TA........i'm no huge fan. But it's not as bad as people would have you think. people were/are just butthurt.

and that's the reality. Chaos And black Clouds are both far worse, IMHO.

Mick

Butthurt over what exactly?

I'll agree about Portnoy leaving giving the band new life. Dramatic Turn and the self titled are great albums with a different energy to them. I didn't realise until Portnoy left how much he was starting to hold back the band in a lot of ways when it came to the song writing.

so many fans hyped themselves over this recored....i mean big time. that no matter what the result it wouldn't have lived up. the result is an over the top hatred of it. that it really doesn't deserve. it's not great record. but the Level of hate makes me giggle.

just me though.

Mick

Most fans aren't upset because it doesn't live up to their expectations.

They are upset because they truly believe it sucks.

no it was partly hype too Segue.

i was here i saw it dude....you included.

I'm sticking to that, lol

Mick

I think it's only a minor aspect though.

Hype aside it's one of the ugliest records I have ever heard. A few potential great points are ruined by truly saccharine songwriting, overwrought vocals and not a single well executed cliché. Forget about original ideas.

However I am playing Octavarium and that is an album that gets a lot of flack for reasons I do not understand.

Although I do think sometimes you have to be in the mood for ballad DT. And it does get a little slow if not in the mood.

But meh...great album!

i still go by my theory you still wouldn't be to high on the record either way. but hype can breed HATRED man.

trust me.

oh well. circular argument, lol'

Mick

I guess...but then explain Kilroy. I already knew it would disappoint...and still it blew me away in the worst possible ways!

Exception i geuss, lol

Yea that album's a dumpster fire.

i'd rather listen to 21 pilots. at least they KNOW they're not high art.

Deyoung thought he was making a masterwork.

Mick

That's the Thing about TA........i'm no huge fan. But it's not as bad as people would have you think. people were/are just butthurt.

and that's the reality. Chaos And black Clouds are both far worse, IMHO.

Mick

Butthurt over what exactly?

I'll agree about Portnoy leaving giving the band new life. Dramatic Turn and the self titled are great albums with a different energy to them. I didn't realise until Portnoy left how much he was starting to hold back the band in a lot of ways when it came to the song writing.

so many fans hyped themselves over this recored....i mean big time. that no matter what the result it wouldn't have lived up. the result is an over the top hatred of it. that it really doesn't deserve. it's not great record. but the Level of hate makes me giggle.

just me though.

Mick

Most fans aren't upset because it doesn't live up to their expectations.

They are upset because they truly believe it sucks.

no it was partly hype too Segue.

i was here i saw it dude....you included.

I'm sticking to that, lol

Mick

I think it's only a minor aspect though.

Hype aside it's one of the ugliest records I have ever heard. A few potential great points are ruined by truly saccharine songwriting, overwrought vocals and not a single well executed cliché. Forget about original ideas.

However I am playing Octavarium and that is an album that gets a lot of flack for reasons I do not understand.

Although I do think sometimes you have to be in the mood for ballad DT. And it does get a little slow if not in the mood.

But meh...great album!

i still go by my theory you still wouldn't be to high on the record either way. but hype can breed HATRED man.

trust me.

oh well. circular argument, lol'

Mick

I guess...but then explain Kilroy. I already knew it would disappoint...and still it blew me away in the worst possible ways!

Exception i geuss, lol

Yea that album's a dumpster fire.

i'd rather listen to 21 pilots. at least they KNOW they're not high art.

Deyoung thought he was making a masterwork.

Mick

Kilroy is meh.

Doesn't surprise me it failed to sell well in comparison to what came before.

• Like 1

I think my current addiction to DT is over again...but I had a great time with their music!

I look forward to diving into their music again. I don't want to overplay them and I'm getting bored of them but definitely will be completing my collection. I have three albums left to get and a few love DVD's. A couple of the official bootlegs are great as well...I may be hunting them down too haha!

I think my current addiction to DT is over again...but I had a great time with their music!

I look forward to diving into their music again. I don't want to overplay them and I'm getting bored of them but definitely will be completing my collection. I have three albums left to get and a few love DVD's. A couple of the official bootlegs are great as well...I may be hunting them down too haha!

they are like a girl you just flirt with........for now, lol

i can dig it though.

Mick

they are like a girl you just flirt with........for now, lol

i can dig it though.

Mick

They are getting better every single time I get into them. So...already I know I love them. It's a really interesting bond haha...it is so similar to me and Nightwish it's hilarious

But at long last the emotional connection is kicking in.

• Like 1

Octavarium, the title song, is amazing.

It's getting better and better and better!

• Like 1

I gave up on Styx after Cornerstone.Kilroy didn't even get near my turn table,never heard it,almost thought it never existed.Have a'fairly recent live dvd without that DeYoung chap which is great.

Not much mention here to the awesome A Change Of Seasons song.Twenty three minutes of early DT at their very best!

As far as DT epics go its right up at the top!

• Like 2

Not much mention here to the awesome A Change Of Seasons song.Twenty three minutes of early DT at their very best!

Still my favourite!!! It gives me chills every time I listen to it. The live version of Live Scenes from NY is killer!

• Like 2

Still my favourite!!! It gives me chills every time I listen to it. The live version of Live Scenes from NY is killer!

Absolutely in my top five DT songs!

Agree that the live version is mighty good!

A Change of seasons never did much for me. it's ok i mean. just kinda plods a bit.

probably my least fav DT epic.

Mick

Played it twice. The drums killed it for me...that's not a compliment. Hideous production.

Trial Of Tears on the other hand...never took notice of it before...I think it's the best of the epics now...tied with Octavarium.

• Like 1

A Change of seasons never did much for me. it's ok i mean. just kinda plods a bit.

Mick

Played it twice. The drums killed it for me...that's not a compliment. Hideous production.

Trial Of Tears on the other hand...never took notice of it before...I think it's the best of the epics now...tied with Octavarium.

the drums are part of the problem. it's just boring. i honestly don't think better drums/production would have helped. i honestly can't remember how it goes....and i've heard it enough.

Trial of Tears is brilliant.

2nd to octavarium only for me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

the drums are part of the problem. it's just boring. i honestly don't think better drums/production would have helped. i honestly can't remember how it goes....and i've heard it enough.

Trial of Tears is brilliant.

2nd to octavarium only for me.

Mick

The drums turned me away.

Because nothing else drew me in.

So again, we are on the same page!

• Like 1

this guys is the best rock/metal music critic of all time.Subscribe to his channel. He loves RUSH. He takes the positive side. He is a great listener. Super awesome with his critiques. makes you listen to the album in a different state of mind (he,he). this dude inspires me to listen to the music in a different light. I agree with all of his reviews.

Edited by shail

My next thing will be some DT boots, i have several downloading

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/ln/20140215/150214_dream_theater_perform/john-petrucci-dream-theater-dream-theater-perform-live_4068940.jpg

How about this guy's?

• Like 3

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/ln/20140215/150214_dream_theater_perform/john-petrucci-dream-theater-dream-theater-perform-live_4068940.jpg

How about this guy's?

Has he got rid of the silly beard yet?

How about this guy's?

Score!

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, from start to finish, is a better album to me than Scenes From A Memory.

Both albums together?

Oh my word I can't even handle the power!

Always good to see DT revived.

my rankings as of this moment.

1. Scenes

2. Octavarium

3. Six Degrees

4. Train of Thought

5. Images

6. Dream Theater

7. A Dramatic Turn

8. Falling Into Infinity

9. Awake

10. The Astonishing

11. Black Clouds

12. When Dream and Day Unite

13. Systematic Chaos

Mick

• Like 2

Always good to see DT revived.

my rankings as of this moment.

1. Scenes

2. Octavarium

3. Six Degrees

4. Train of Thought

5. Images

6. Dream Theater

7. A Dramatic Turn

8. Falling Into Infinity

9. Awake

10. The Astonishing

11. Black Clouds

12. When Dream and Day Unite

13. Systematic Chaos

Mick

Currently:

1. Six Degrees

2. Octavarium

3. Falling Into Infinity

4. Scenes

5. Images And Words

6. Train Of Thought

7. A Dramatic Turn Of Events

8. Black Clouds And Silver Linings

9. Awake

10.Dream Theater

11. When Day And Dream Unite

12. Systematic Chaos

13. The Astonishing

I regard the first nine as masterpieces. All of them.

10...let's wait and see but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes top five.

The last three? Day And Dream is the bomb. Really love it. But it's not fully DT to me.

The last two? SC has some great stuff and some real crap. TA I am just happy to let die.

• Like 1

Grade A

1. Images and Words

2. Scenes from a Memory

3. Dream Theater

4. When Dream and Day Unite

(A Change of Seasons goes here)

Grade A-

5. Octvarium

6. A Dramatic Turn of Events

Grade B+

7. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

8. Systematic Chaos

Grade B

9. Awake

10. Falling Into Infinity

11. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

12. Train of Thought

Grade C

13. The Astonishing

I absolutely love When Dream and Day Unite, to me it's Dream Theater through and through, I'm a little sad that I couldn't put it higher up on the list. But those first three albums are all so bloody good. And I don't really want to bash any DT album, because I genuinely enjoy listening to any of them, but the Astonishing really clocks in at the low end of that spectrum.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1