Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I had a choice. A Rik Emmett acoustic show tomorrow night, or DT at RCMH.

I chose Rik. I love DT and all, but I think I've seen them 8 or 9 times already, and once at RCMH for the Score recording.

So have a blast tomorrow night at RCMH folks. I'll be at a little place in NJ, fighting the good fight with Rik, listening to old Triumph songs.

Go read my review in the review thread...

Great show...album came over a lot better live than I expected it to do...GO SEE IT IF YOU CAN!

Stage show is great, but the constant walk on/walk off stuff is a little annoying at times....

Mangini is NOT a great drummer, he's a good drummer, and I'm not his fan...(and no I'm not a Portnoy disciple)

Myung is looking tired and older, but still plays like a beast!

Petrucci needs to lose the beard, but is still one of the best guitar players out there!

Rudess is like a wizard, and plays amazingly!

LaBrie consumes a lot of liquid during a show...

Great show...album came over a lot better live than I expected it to do...GO SEE IT IF YOU CAN!

Stage show is great, but the constant walk on/walk off stuff is a little annoying at times....

Mangini is NOT a great drummer, he's a good drummer, and I'm not his fan...(and no I'm not a Portnoy disciple)

Petrucci needs to lose the beard, but is still one of the best guitar players out there!

How is Mangini not a great drummer? Too technical for you? Because talent wise he is amazing.

http://www.dailymoti...k-2013-hd_music

Now I'll sit and wait for Segue to tell me he has a right to not think Mangini is great!

:|

Edited by Tick

How is Mangini not a great drummer? Too technical for you? Because talent wise he is amazing.

Now I'll sit and wait for Segue to tell me he has a right to not think Mangini is great!

You like him, I don't...His technique is "eh", and he plays with a "hit everything at once and let the fans sort it out" style... not a fan!

edit: and I just watched that solo you linked..he's not doing anything anyone else isn't doing..his four limb independence is adequate, and his "one handed" stuff is stuff that I've known drum corps guys to do forever, and it's just not that hard if you have decent chops and you're warmed up....he's better than some guys, but he ain't all that....(and I bet he was a tenor player in high school band)

Edited by Jaminbenb

You like him, I don't...His technique is "eh", and he plays with a "hit everything at once and let the fans sort it out" style... not a fan!

edit: and I just watched that solo you linked..he's not doing anything anyone else isn't doing..his four limb independence is adequate, and his "one handed" stuff is stuff that I've known drum corps guys to do forever, and it's just not that hard if you have decent chops and you're warmed up....he's better than some guys, but he ain't all that....(and I bet he was a tenor player in high school band)

That's cool. I love his playing and him in general.

• Like 1

That's cool. I love his playing and him in general.

I was a little bored tonight....so I wandered over to their website and re-watched the drummer audition videos, and thought that Peter Wildoer and Marco Minneman were the better choices...(Wildoer was wild!) But Mangini was better prepared, and gelled with the guys a lot better...so I see why they chose him...

Being a musician for 30 years I would just say I believe team building is the hardest challenge. Finding talent is important but finding the guy that fits into the family best is more important for the long haul. If you are a family type unit in a band it's a very special feeling.

Going to see the band in a few weeks. Been listening to the album again this week. Been through the album enough to soak it in and reflect then revisit. It's ok... Still. Self title and ADTOE are great!! The song writing isn't there for me. Album has a few moments here and there. It's a great product just misses on the songs. Snare drum needs help sound wise. Who said a snare should not sound natural. It's punchy and cuts for sure but it sounds like electronics got the best of it.

Going to see the band in a few weeks. Been listening to the album again this week. Been through the album enough to soak it in and reflect then revisit. It's ok... Still. Self title and ADTOE are great!! The song writing isn't there for me. Album has a few moments here and there. It's a great product just misses on the songs. Snare drum needs help sound wise. Who said a snare should not sound natural. It's punchy and cuts for sure but it sounds like electronics got the best of it.

Don't get me started on that snare.....I suggest hitting some of the bootleg sites and pulling one of the live shows...the snare is natural and doesn't detract from the album....that said....cool live show...you'll enjoy it!

Just bummed that it was only the whole NEW album...but ok.... Maybe I'll get to see them on a "play it all " tour!

I listened to The Astonishing for the first time since the second week of it's release.

Same thing. It is a huge clunker for the most part. Some sections are really great, but it is filled with too many forgettable sections. I am sure live it will probably go over pretty good as a stage show and if they ever decided to come to Florida I would check it out. But they have not been here since ADTOE.

Here is hoping for a return to form on the next album. After the self titled release (which I love) this overall was a major let down.

From all the reviews i've read, it seems like The Astonishing was meant to be heard live. With all the bad things people have said about the album, I have read nothing but praise for the live show. I'm not sure if that bodes well for the albums staying power over the course of many years since it seems to be a thing you have to experience live to fully appreciate.
  • Like 2

I know i tread dangerously here. I saw them live some nights back. it was great. but it didn't sway my opinion on TA.

some good ideas wrapped in a whole bunch of padding.

still a fun show.

Jame's high belt is speaking objectivly.........shot.

he can sing a ballad though.

Mick

• Like 2

Rhapsody in Blue...

Man, I wish they made another album...I guess it´s up to John Petrucci now to extend the hand to Portnoy, right?

Can't see them working together again.

• Like 1

I think it depends on JP...MP has tried to make amends with all of them, and so far has succeeded with Jordan only. And I think he also talks to Mangini, as they were friends before MM joined DT.

I think it depends on JP...MP has tried to make amends with all of them, and so far has succeeded with Jordan only. And I think he also talks to Mangini, as they were friends before MM joined DT.

I just think it would be unforfortable regardless of John reaching out. Its one thing to make amends and have peace, its another thing to try and work together. I just can't see it.

Oh yea. Portnoy will never be full time in this band again. a one off years down the road.........maybe.

Personally myself i don't care if he comes back. I have a hard time caring at all after TA.

Unless they pull out a miracle album next and start recording Magini the way he deserves..........cause live he was fantastic.......i may be out.

Mick

• Like 1

Oh yea. Portnoy will never be full time in this band again. a one off years down the road.........maybe.

Personally myself i don't care if he comes back. I have a hard time caring at all after TA.

Unless they pull out a miracle album next and start recording Magini the way he deserves..........cause live he was fantastic.......i may be out.

Mick

They have had a varied career.

The next album could be totally different because DT are very unpredictable.

Saw the show last nite in chicago. Not sure what to make of it as first DT show. It was good and everyone performed great, but TA didnt translate as well live as i hoped. One thing for sure labrie kinda surprised me, he was strong.

This i will say, if you ever get a chance to see a show at the chicago theater, go. Really great venue

• Like 1