Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Petrucci mentioned in an interview in Italy that they were suppose to play Only A Matter of Time but had to drop it for time constraints. May or may not find its way into the set on future legs of the tour.

REALLY?!?!?!?!! I don´t think I´ve seen this song being played live...would love to see it at least once. And while we´re at it, Take the Time is the only song off Images & Words that they haven´played with Mangini yet - they should find a way to fit it in.

The part where he talks about Only A Matter of Time comes at the 5:52 mark

That first show in Toronto happens to be on my birthday, and while it would've been the perfect birthday for me, I'll have to settle with seeing them the following week in NYC. Can't wait! :haz:

I read an interview with John Petrucci and he said there wasn't gonna be any changes to the set for the North American tour. He said that the lighting and video effects are set a certain way for each song, so they wouldn't be switching anything up. I guess there's too much money tied up in the production to do any changes.

3 of the 4 best songs on the new album being snubbed…….honestly…..I am miffed about that.

And people complain when Rush plays too much new stuff…….well when you tour to support a new album…and one as strong as DT's (and Rush with CA recently) I really want to hear the new stuff.

Sigh.

The set looks great…..but would have been even better with those new songs. Surprised….these guys usually play a lot of the new record when they tour to support one.

Yeah, I think that at least The Bigger Picture should be played on this tour. The lack of changes in the set, or at least having two setlists to choose from like they did on the last leg of the ADTOE tour are a huge letdown.

Well, they did change the set for the second leg in North America on the last tour. Remember how everyone was complaining that Lost Not Forgotten wasn't getting played then they added it on the second leg? The same thing may happen with The Bigger Picture. I refuse to believe that song doesn't make the set at some point during this touring cycle. Behind The Veil and Surrender To Reason should make it in to. Throughout the course of the last tour, they played every song off ADTOE. So, I think the same thing will happen for the new album on this tour.

I hope by the time they make it down to South Florida your right. But if the band has already come out and said nothing is changing due to lighting, video etc (ala Rush) then we are probably not getting much if any change.

But I hope your right......I am pining to hear the new stuff. It is freaking awesome.....and again shocking they are not fully supporting the new album. Especially since this is an "Evening With" format.

Edited by Todem

Dream Theater was fantastic last night :notworthy:

The set is the same but this is the best i've heard the band sound of the six times i've seen them. Strange, Portnoy leaves and the band becomes a tighter unit. Who would've thought? LeBrie sounded great and like I said before, knowing what songs he will be singing each night has helped his vocal performance tremendously. Playing the same set has helped the band to. I never thought I would say these guys couldn't get any better playing together but somehow they have. This was the biggest stage production they've done to. Lots of new lighting and special made videos for a lot of the songs. The crowd was great and very receptive of everything, especially Illumination Theory and the songs in the encore.

I could go on all day about the awesomeness that was this show but then it would be the longest post in the history of this forum. Everything flowed so well with the song selection and even though I wanted to hear The Bigger Picture more than anything, I didn't care once the show was over. The band is in such top form right now, you have to see them live to fully appreciate it because my words won't do their performance justice. If you're undecided on weather or not to see them in this North American run, do whatever you can attend a show if possible. These guys just get better live as the years go by.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Illumination Theory live on the new Blu Ray is maybe the most amazing thing I have ever viewed! Insanely incredible!
  • Like 2

Illumination Theory live on the new Blu Ray is maybe the most amazing thing I have ever viewed! Insanely incredible!

I've been listening to it non stop since yesterday. Gives me the chills every time!!!!

• Like 1

The red forest things' imagery for the string section is amazing. The way those 2 parts fit together is very powerful.

The red forest things' imagery for the string section is amazing. The way those 2 parts fit together is very powerful.

Not to be a geek but the orchestra section is so beautiful it made me emotional listening to it. Very moving piece.

This DVD is awesome. Plain and simple. Great representation of the band live. Sounds and looks great. No complaints. These guys know how to play. Great players. Song writing off the chain. Could watch this all day long. And I did. Great concert. A must have if you don't even like the music band
  • Like 4

Finally got round to giving DT a proper listen!

So far, as good as Rush, better than Yes and more enjoyable than any of the modern prog bands I like (Opeth, Mastodon etc).

I think I am going to really enjoy this band.

• Like 1

So far, as good as Rush, better than Yes and more enjoyable than any of the modern prog bands I like (Opeth, Mastodon etc).

Which album did you listen to? Usually, Images and Words or Scenes From A Memory would be the ideal place to start off with DT.

Which album did you listen to? Usually, Images and Words or Scenes From A Memory would be the ideal place to start off with DT.

He sad he started with Images.....which is the album i hand over to anybody inquiring about DT. Scenes ain't no slouch either, lol

Mick