Little known yet great CDS

crushtopher

There is so many great Cds in existence that it is impossible to hear it all. Some people know of Cds you have never heard of and after hearing them you are so glad to have been given the imformation. I am a music conisuer and my collection is very eclectic. I figured maybe if we gave a review of an obscure album that for some reason or another others had not heard ,maybe we could help eachother in the building of a terrific music library. So with no reason to further describe what i am talking about i will set the wheels in motion by reviewing an Cd i most recently was turned on to by a good friend.

Artist: Buddy Guy

Project: Sweet Tea

Year of release:2001

Type of musician : Old school Blues man

What i liked about the CD:

I love a good blues album. Buddy Guy has been around since the early 60`s and in his late sixties early seventys he continues to surprize me.

This Cd starts out subtle the first track is an acoustic number where he sings about being old and not being able to do the things he used to do. It is a captivating piece . Something that would would picture of an old bluesman sitting in his rocking chair on a porch in the south on a hot summer day. Then right as the song concludes the thunder begins. The Old dog rips into a psychedelic blues Rock most reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix that i have heard since Hendrix has passed.....a very very long time ago. The vocals are top notch and the music is hard driven blues with a Zeppelin, Hendrix flavor. Istarted to listen to this ,new to me ,Cd and i could not put it down. I have other Buddy Guy material, but this Cd flat out shocked me. Buddy is by far one of the greatest guitarists to ever play, and if i were to give a recomendation of a CD to listen too "Sweet Tea " is the one to hear and own. If you like Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix you will absolutely, in my oppinion, fall in love with this effort. It rips from start to finish . I played it for some friends of mine at a party the other night, and they loved it. When you hear it ....it is hard to picture that a guy in his late sixties can rock like this.

I rate this CD five out of 5 stars . The guitar work is incredible, and if you give it a listen, i think you too will find a valuble piece of ear candy for your music library.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lenghthy review. Peace out

Crushtopher wink.gif applaudit.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spastic Ink - Ink Complete

Absolute masterpiece. Technical metal record released in the early 90's... it's since then been re-released, but you can still probably only get it from Ron Jarzombek's (main force behind the band) website. So, download a track or two.

I recommend "The Mad Data Race", "See, And it's Sharp!" and "Mosquito Brain Surgery".

I've found a lot of new, great music this previous year, a lot of which I dont think the typical Rush fan would listen to, so my choices might not agree with many. But I will list a few that I dont think very many of you have heard (well, the younger ones probably will have).

The Arcade Fire - Funeral

Caribou - The Milk Of Human Kindness

David Bowie - Low, Scary Monsters

Depeche Mode - Violator

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (Thier show at the Fillmore last May was one of the top 3 shows I have ever seen.)

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina/The Machines Of God

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 4 2006, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 4 2006, 09:30 PM)

Depeche Mode - Violator
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

2 great CDs wink.gif

Actually my favorite Depeche Mode is Some Great Reward, but I like the live versions of those songs on 101 more then the studio versions, so I didnt put that on.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 4 2006, 07:49 PM)
Morrissey- "Southpaw Grammar"

Really? I've heard this one isn't good. I have all his other solo albums, and this is supposed to be his worst.

If you say it's good I'll look for it though.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 12:10 AM)

Really? I've heard this one isn't good. I have all his other solo albums, and this is supposed to be his worst.

I only have 5 of his solo CDs(Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall And I, Maladjusted, and Southpaw Grammar). Out of the ones I have, I think Southpaw Grammar is his best. I would recommend getting this one. I do need to catch up with what he's got out now. Any recommendations?

I think since this forum has a lot of members from the US and Canada, I will let peeps know about a few really good brit-band albums, that maybe the US hasn't heard of..

I LOVE these two albums....the only ones produced by the band in question during the mid-1990s:

Kula Shaker:

'Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts'

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00000I8SX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and

'K'

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000024T59.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you like Bon Jovi and/or Def Lappard, you should like these:

Little Angels

'Jam'

http://www.rockdetector.com/assets/img/covers/22439.jpg

'Don't Prey for Me'

http://www.rockdetector.com/assets/img/covers/22435.jpg

and 'Young Gods'

http://www.a-cd.de/images/articles/2004-01-31_163947_littleangelsyounggods.jpg

If you want the best of:

http://www.metal-observer.com/covers/cov2503.jpg

EVERY song they have done is fantastic - try 'em out! They quit whilst on top in 1994

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 5 2006, 06:40 AM)

I only have 5 of his solo CDs(Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall And I, Maladjusted, and Southpaw Grammar). Out of the ones I have, I think Southpaw Grammar is his best. I would recommend getting this one. I do need to catch up with what he's got out now. Any recommendations?

You have most of it already.

Bona Drag is a singles collection released in 1989 or 1990. It has a few songs from Viva Hate and a lot of non-album singles. Really good.

Kill Uncle isn't supposed to be that good.

His latest album, You Are the Quarry (2004) is DEFINITELY worth getting. I think it is probably my favorite Moz solo album. Live at Earl's Court was recorded in 2004 and has a lot of Quarry songs and a lot of Smiths songs, and Morrissey is in great voice throughout.

His new album, Ringleader of the Tormenters, will be out in April 4. I have heard one of the songs, called "I Will See You in Far Off Places," and it is really excellent.

Now this thread is moving . Dream theatre that is a band i have to check out for sure. I really haven't heard much negative stuff about them. Same as nine inch nails. What i have heard i liked . Heres another one from me.

Artist: Gov`t Mule

Project:the Deepest End

This is a live concert there is a volume one and volume two however you can get both volumes together in one package accompanied by a three hour dvd of the concert for 26 bucks. The night was recorded at the new orleans jazz festival . It is a tribute concert for Allan Woody who played bass with both Warren Haynes and the Allman brothers whose life was tragically cut short. The concert itself was improved from start to finish. Several musicians that were in town took turns sitting in with Warren and his Drummer John Abts to pay tribute to the great Allan Woody who i saw play with Warren three times. Sitting in with Haynes over the course of the night are Dave Stools(widespread panic) Victor Wooten,Les Claypool, Jason Newstand, Rob Wasserman,The dirty dozen brass band, one of the greatest slide players ever, sonny landrun, Carl Denson, Bela Fleck, Mike gordon and more. To witness this dvd is pretty incredible. The musicianship is top notch. The performance`s are flawless . You`d think that watching it it was well rehearsed.....it wasn't . Warren took the stage at 10:00 that evening and didn't step off the stage till 4;oo in the morning to a sold out entusiastic crowd. Great CD/DVD. If you appreciate great musicianship i suggest you at least check it out.

QUOTE (crushtopher @ Feb 5 2006, 01:19 PM)
Now this thread is moving . Dream theatre that is a band i have to check out for sure. I really haven't heard much negative stuff about them. Same as nine inch nails.

Oh, dig around. TRF is a very divided place when it comes to DT. People here either love them or hate them.

As for NIN, I might suggest starting with the live album And All That Could Have Been, from 2002.

As for studio albums, go for The Downward SPiral (1994) and The Fragile (1999).

mike peters and the alarm. in the poppy fields 5 disc set , (available online.) if you dont think you like the alarm or dont know much about them, trust me this is great stuff , great song writing and loaded with power , emotion ,and just plain old great roots rock and roll. sadly though mike peters announced on the alarm web site he is battling cancer and will fight hard to overcome it ,he asked only for the prayers of those who care.

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Feb 6 2006, 08:08 AM)
Not completely unknown, but an album that never really got commercial acclaim yet STILL often features in critics' top 100 albums is the debut album from Television - Marquee Moon.

An absolute classic!

Couldn't agree more, an absolute classic.

Also, check out Adventure, the follow up, very underrated.

I'm going way back here, but these 3 bands passed many by in their heyday, unfortunately.

Husker Du: Flip Your Wig, New Day Rising, Candy Apple Grey, Warehouse Songs and Stories

The Replacements: Don't Tell A Soul, Pleased To Meet Me, All Shook Down

Big Black: Pigpile, Songs About F*cking, Atomizer(not on cd, yet)

Brian Eno's collaborations are well worth the effort.

My Life In The Bush of Ghosts, with David Byrne.

No pussyfooting and Evening Star, with Robert Fripp.

I know it's been mentioned on TRF before, but Forever Changes by Love is perfect.

The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit is work of genius.

The most overlooked Irish album of all time has to be Heartworm by Whipping Boy. A true classic.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 5 2006, 06:40 AM)

You have most of it already.

Bona Drag is a singles collection released in 1989 or 1990. It has a few songs from Viva Hate and a lot of non-album singles. Really good.

Kill Uncle isn't supposed to be that good.

His latest album, You Are the Quarry (2004) is DEFINITELY worth getting. I think it is probably my favorite Moz solo album. Live at Earl's Court was recorded in 2004 and has a lot of Quarry songs and a lot of Smiths songs, and Morrissey is in great voice throughout.

His new album, Ringleader of the Tormenters, will be out in April 4. I have heard one of the songs, called "I Will See You in Far Off Places," and it is really excellent.

Thanks Puppet, I will check those out wink.gif

Archived