Some news on Collective Soul...

shine

Here is a review of the concert from Amazon;

I stumbled onto this DirecTV "Freeview" performance. I don't have anything by Collective Soul. I'm not too familiar with their music. I know from radio play they've had a few or so hits. I've had no reason to find interest in them. They seemed like a typical metal rock band. Territory treked by others.

All those preconceptions changed (vanished) when I saw this pairing of orchestra and rock band. I've seen it before with other band attempts. Sometimes it pleasantly works.

But this one scores MAGIC on my "satisfactory" scale. Don't be misled by the "Youth Symphony" label, this orchestra fuses so well with CS's Rock I can't imagine its participation separate from the band's music. Both the band and orchestra blend without either attempting to out do the other. It's impressively scored. The quieter songs especially show the symphony's effectiveness. But the gist of Rock Music is not compromised. CS's play is solid rock. This symphony is not window dressing. It's a full band member and helps raise the concert beyond simply memorable. It aims to captivate the soul of Rock within whoever catches this performance. Probably not what CS intended. But that's how it affected me. In my humble opinion, a grand and preeminent accomplishment. My congratulations to Collective Soul

I just hope the release date is the same here in Canada!!! And I hope others will take a couple of minutes to check it out. It's that good!!!

I finally got Home today on CD. My local store had trouble with his distributer. If it was a Rush album, I would have gone to the chain store.

Anyway, this is a fabulous recording. I'm on the second disc. Yes, ninety minutes of music. I would say for what it is, a great uplifting band with a full orchestra performming all it's greatest songs, it is perfect. Congratulations to one of my favourite bands. Collective soul reaches into my soul and lifts me up every time. Now I have something new to listen to until David Gilmour's ohmy.gif new album.

Todd Rubenstein who did the orchestration for Collective Soul dreams of doing such a project with Rush. He's a huge fan, just like us. With this, his two string quartet Rush tribute albums and the new Rush piano album, and many other classical rock tribute albums, he would certainly be the man to do it.

If I could go see Rush with an orchestra, I'd wear my tux.

Archived