Bands you were barred from listening to

floydfanatic111

My most famous example of this is Queen.

I liked a bunch of their songs(Crazy Little Thing, We Are the Champions, Killer Queen, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, Princes of the Universe, One Vision) as a 7 to 10 year old kid but my mother detested Freddie Mercury for being bisexual so therefore Queen was barred from my household until my parents divorced and I went to live with my father. In the late 1980s Queen albums were not available in the US so obtaining them was impossible.

Then my fourth oldest sister one day came home with a compilation of Queen songs from the long-out of print Elektra version of Greatest Hits in December of 1990 and I loved each track so I asked her to borrow the complete album and I became a Queen fan and made a copy and wore the thing out. My father had no problem buying me Queen albums and the first Queen album I got legitimately was A Night at the Opera on CD in March of 1992.

Since then, I have become a Queen connoiseur in the same way I love Pink Floyd and Rush. Like those bands, Queen changed its sound with each album and was a shame Freddie Mercury died.

No band was ever barred while I was growing up. If my parents thought an album cover was risque or such they would just say, "What is that?!Oh my god. Crazy" and shake their heads, but that's all. I believe it was their way of saying that it was strange but not truly harmful. The music itself never bothered them either. Just the volume itself. 1022.gif

When I bought the ASOH video back in the late 80's I showed mom Neil's solo. She said (again), "Oh my god" but it was followed by, "he's so good NeilFinal.gif . What kind of music is this?" Gotta love mom wub.gif .

I always did appreciate mom & dad allowing us some freedom with musical choices. I'm sure it had alot to do with them both loving music and singing.

I dont remember ever being told I cannot listen to any kind of music. My parents were pretty relaxed about that kinda thing (father was a student at Berkeley in the late 60's), and gave me the benefit of the doubt that I wouldnt get into terrible music. It worked I think.

well when i was 14 my broke into my room and said IS THAT GLEN MILLER ORCHESTRA YOUR LISTENING TO ! rage.gif WHY DONT YOU BE A NORMAL KID AND PUT ON SOME KISS ! i said sorry mom , and i never looked back.

During my IRON MAIDEN days, my mom gave me grief. Probably

because I played it all the time and really, really loud.

She didn't like the album covers with "Eddie".

Also around 1979, I bought a Richard Pryor album and my mom

confiscated it. I searched and found it and hid it myself.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 3 2006, 01:07 AM)
I liked a bunch of their songs(Crazy Little Thing, We Are the Champions, Killer Queen, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, Princes of the Universe, One Vision) as a 7 to 10 year old kid but my mother detested Freddie Mercury for being bisexual so therefore Queen was barred from my household until my parents divorced and I went to live with my father. In the late 1980s Queen albums were not available in the US so obtaining them was impossible.
Then my fourth oldest sister one day came home with a compilation of Queen songs from the long-out of print Elektra version of Greatest Hits in December of 1990 and I loved each track so I asked her to borrow the complete album and I became a Queen fan and made a copy and wore the thing out. My father had no problem buying me Queen albums and the first Queen album I got legitimately was A Night at the Opera on CD in March of 1992.
Since then, I have become a Queen connoiseur in the same way I love Pink Floyd and Rush. Like those bands, Queen changed its sound with each album and was a shame Freddie Mercury died.

Queen records were everywhere in the late '80s, no?

did I miss something?

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Feb 3 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 3 2006, 01:07 AM)

Queen records were everywhere in the late '80s, no?

did I miss something?

Queen's albums on Elektra were out of print in the late 1980s and were only available by import and they were lots of money for imported copies on cassette or CD. The Capitol albums were only available until Hollywood Records re-released Queen's albums in 1991 and I wanted to start with A Night at the Opera but each time I went to store they were out and wasn't until March of 1992 that more copies of ANATO hit stores probably cos of Waynes World and my father naturally bought the ANATO album and subsequently every Queen album. My father didn't care what I listened to but my mother detested Queen for reasons I can't think of and she assumed all of Queen were gay cos of Freddie which we know is hogwash. My mom was a rocker but more into Sabbath, Zep, Skynyrd, Cream, Janis Joplin, PF and so forth.

My mom hated Van Halen cause they sang about 'runnin' with the devil.' laugh.gif

But that didn't keep me from listening to Eddie 1022.gif

Archived