Bands you grew to love

Moonraker

Peoples tastes in music can change over time, I'm just wondering if there were any bands that you couldnt stand upon your first introduction to them, but grew to love.

Personally, the first time I heard The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths, I couldnt stand Morrissey's vocals, but after a few more listens, I started to get into more and more of the tracks on the album. Now I absolutely adore the album and the band, though its still sort of an uphill battle getting into them.

Stone Temple Pilots used to be the same way for me too, I used to dismiss them as just another grunge band trying to ripoff Nirvana and Pearl Jam's sound. But then I actually broke down and bought Core, realized just how good thier songwriting used to be. Sure it may have heavily borrowed elements from previous grunge acts, but they were definatly a cut above all the rest of the copycat bands coming out at the time.

Like Grandpa Grizz and the Dead, I had to see Bruce Springsteen in concert before I understood what all the fuss was about.

I HATED him in school, especially the Born In The USA era ( that album is still his worst IMHO), all of my friends went to see him at Slane Castle, I stayed at home, mounting a one boy protest, listening to Queen.

But 3 years ago in Dublin that all changed. He was astonishing.

I have to admit that Rush is one of those bands. tongue.gif

The Mars Volta, too. The first time I heard them, I was like, "WTF is this?!"

I hated then grew to love then got sick of and I now hate again Aerosmith. Their Super Bowl appearance with Bratney made me lose what every ounce of respect I once had for them. nirvana I hated then liked now I hate again as I realized they are a boring imitation of The Ramones and The Sex Pistols.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 2 2006, 03:10 PM)
Radiohead.

I hated then loved once I heard OK Computer but now I despise again! I got bored and lost interest after Amnesiac. Hail to the Thief s*cked.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 2 2006, 09:52 PM)
Duran Duran.

Could stand them when they first came out, but now their one of my favorite bands

I liked them when I was 7 but I liked Men at Work more. I turned my back on the Durannies once my sister bought me Ozzy's Bark at the Moon album in December of 1983.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 3 2006, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 2 2006, 07:16 PM)
Hail to the Thief s*cked.

I have to disagree there...

I had to listen to that album day in and day out because my ex-boss loves Radiohead. By then I was trying to get into Metallica's St Anger but that album s*cked so I spent my time with How the West was Won by Zep. We got in 20 Radioheads and 20 Metallica and Metallica we sold out our first two orders of St Anger whilst Hail to the Thief just sat there.

#1 Captain Beefheart:

I bought a cut-out cassette tape of his back in 1987 or so, took it home and HATED it. Not only did I hate it, it actually offended me - I thought it was the worst piece of crap I'd ever layed ears on.

A few days passed, or maybe weeks or a month and I decided that before I sell it used, I'd give it one more listen. Oh my God, it was brilliant! The earlier unusual violent reaction was just an affront to my ears with sounds I didn't think existed, but it wasn't that I truly didn't like it, I just had to get my ears accustomed to it.

#2 Grateful Dead:

For some reason I had it in my head that this band was either heavy metal or country somehow before I first heard them in 1985 or 1986. When I first heard them, I thought they were just plain boring.

After hanging out with my drug buddies with them CONSTANTLY foisting live Grateful Dead tapes into the environments I was in, I eventually grew to like them ok, and then to love them. Apparently, this is a common experience with the Dead that you have to acquire the taste, but once you do, there is no going back...

#3 The Beatles:

Ok, I never hated the Beatles, but in my youth I just didn't get them. It seemed growing up that it was just a given - I mean, EVERYONE loved the Beatles. I even had a friend when i was like 7 or 8 who used to play Abbey Road for me and one of their best of albums, but while I thought it was ok, it mostly just went right over my head. Finally at the age of 14 or so, it finally clicked and I loved the Beatles.

Rush.

My dad played Test for Echo for me in 1996 and I absolutely hated it. I don't know why. Maybe Geddy's voice. But after getting into some bands such as Van Halen, Black Sabbath, and Metallica. By 2002 I had now idea who Rush was. My dad got me Vapor Trails for my birthday along with two tickets for Rush in San Antonio. I was hooked after I heard Neil's drum intro to One Little Victory. The week of the concert I bought All The World's A Stage. I didn't know very many songs, but the show absolutely rocked. I worked from then to complete my collection starting with VT, AtWaS, Moving Pictures, and T4E. I completed it Fall of 2003. I feel like I have been a Rush fan my whole life. My room shows proof of it, as I have two framed posters, and even more waiting to be hanged.

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory.

You'd think if I was a Rush fanatic and a Metallica fan that I would absolutely love DT. It actually took me awhile to get into their sound. I started with Images and Words, which I found in a box of my mom's old CDs. Train of Thought came out that next month so I got it, later I went to a used CD shop and got Awake, A Change of Seasons, and Scenes from a Memory. I loved Awake and ACoS. But there was something different about SFaM. Kind of like that thing with T4E, I wanted to like it but didn't. It grew on me and is one of the most brilliant albums ever to be made IMO.

i don't recall ever starting to like a group or artist after i disliked them. so if i didn't like em in the beginnin, i didn't like em in da end. yeash whwt i said 2.gif 2.gif yes.gif

Postal Service- My snowboard coach had this playing and I was like..."What the hell is this?" laugh.gif . A week later we had to go up to E town for a comp. Guess what we listened to for 3 hours there and 3 hours back? Postal service...the same CD. Over and over and over and at the end I was singing along with them and now they are one of my fav bands and one of the greatest memories of all time for snowboarding.

Broken Social Scene- Again I was like...WTF is this? and it was quite crazy to listen to but then I loved it. I picked up the album Beehives and couldn't stand it. I'm almost thinking I should go to a Used CD store and sell it! ohmy.gif

Basement Jaxx- I didn't like this band very much, but picked up their $25 album in Toronto and listened to it and loved it....and still to this day...

White Stripes- I hated this. I absolutely could not understand the drummer. Although I still hate her and she sucks. I like their simple music. Haven't picked up the latest album yet...

40 Below Summer- I usually don't like the bands that are very heavy and scream and yet I like this guys. At first I was iffy...but I kept listening to the album and loved them. Thanks to my Wiccan friend who was playing it in his car biggrin.gif

Anything country...until LSM showed me the light! lmao now I love it.

Red Not Evil- Their first album "Everywhere Canada" didn't exactly show happiness. This album is as depressing as ever but I kept listening to it and I finally like them. I don't understand why they made every song depressing though. Not a good thing when you bring out an album!

Nirvana - I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and thought it was just kids' music. I have a completely different opinion now I'm even older laugh.gif

Radiohead went right over the top of my head at first, a few years later I bought the Bends......brilliant album! Must get round to buying OK Computer some time!

Pink floyd - I have never really heard much of their stuff believe it or not but I can see myself getting to like them a lot.

Janes Addiction - One of dweez's favourites and they have really grown on me 1022.gif

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I always thought were overrated, then the Californiacation album came out cool.gif Also one of the best live gigs I've ever been to.

Radiohead- I had only heard the radio fodder of Creep, and thought they were a post-grunge piece of crap. Now up there in my top ten.

The Grateful Dead- Thought they were mind-numbingly boring, but then went and lived with my uncle in Oregon for a summer, who is one of the biggest dead-heads you could ever think of. Not only did he play live stuff all day, but we caught The Dead up at the Gorge in Washington. Now, the Dead are #3 for me, only behind The Beatles and Rush.

Johnny Cash- I can't stand most of country music, and I just grouped him in with everything else. After listening to a greatest hits on a roadtrip, I believe he was one of the greatest musicians of our time.

Loretta Lynn- Pretty much for the same reason as Cash. I just grouped her with everything else. Then I heard that Jack White was producing her newest album after she took years off. It was by far one of the best albums of 04/05. I began going into her back catalouge, and found she was an amazing songwriter.

I think the artist who is my favorite isn't at first. I didn't like Avril Lavigne at first then I loved her until I found Heart whom I didn't like at first either. I thought Ann's vocals sounded too high but I LOVE her voice now. When I first heard Rush I didn't really like them either but now I love them as well. I didn't like The Click Five until I saw them live either.

Archived