Here are some of the greatest live albums in rock I have ever heard, owned, etc

Pink Floyd I picked two Pulse and Is There Anybody Out There

Rush I picked two Different Stages and Exit Stage Left

Queen I picked two Live Killers and Queen On Fire Live at the Bowl

The Who Live at Leeds Deluxe Edition

Genesis Seconds Out

Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same

Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust Soundtrack(Hammersmith Odeon July, 1973)

Humble Pie Performance Rockin the Fillmore

Peter Frampton Frampton Comes Alive

Supertramp Paris

Black Sabbath Live Evil

Rainbow Live in Germany 1976

Eagles Eagles Live

Thin Lizzy Alive and Dangerous(who knows how much was live)

Ozzy Osbourne Speak of the Devil

KISS Alive(or Alive in the Studio)

Triumph King Biscuit Flower Hour 1981

AC/DC If You want Blood You've Got It

Deep Purple Made in Japan

ELP Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends

Yes Yessongs

Iron Maiden Rock in Rio

Kansas Two For the Show

Judas Priest Unleashed in the East(remastered version)

Journey Live in Houston 1981

The greatest live album of all time is NIN's And All That Could Have Been

Other favorites, non-Rush:

The Who - Leeds and Isle of Wight

David Bowie - Stage and David Live

Depeche Mode - 101

Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

personal favs are:

RUSH: ESl and Rush in Rio

Queen: Live killers

Aerosmith: Bootleg

Peter Framptom: Comes Alive

Kiss: Alive

Fogat: Live

Cheap Trick: Live at Budokon (sp?)

and some others I can't remember right now.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 24 2006, 09:00 PM)
i'm usually not too into live music and rarely listen to live albums. the two notable exceptions are the grateful dead, primarily their 60's and 70's live stuff, and early pink floyd up through 1973. great stuff! yes.gif

I have many illegitimate live PF recordings from 1967 BBC to 1994.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 24 2006, 09:00 PM)
i'm usually not too into live music and rarely listen to live albums.  the two notable exceptions are the grateful dead, primarily their 60's and 70's live stuff, and early pink floyd up through 1973.  great stuff!  yes.gif

I have many illegitimate live PF recordings from 1967 BBC to 1994.

yeah, i shoulda said that all the early live floyd i have with the exception of one disc of ummagumma are bootlegs. the grateful dead aren't really bootlegs as they're legitimately sold recordings and/or recordings traded legally since the Dead let people record their live shows...

SAGA - DETOURS, a great sounding album which covers pretty much their whole history

TRAGICALLY HIP - LIVE BETWEEN US, ditto

I'll try and think up some more but I've got a bit of a brain cramp at the moment, I'm at work after all!!

UFO - Strangers In The Night (THE Live album, period)

Rush - A Show Of Hands, In Rio

Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine

Marillion - The Thieving Magpie, Real To Reel

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

The Mars Volta - Scabdates

Japan - Oil On Canvas

Genesis - Live

I'm not that great a fan of live albums usually, but this is fantastic.

Favorite live albums...

Depeche Mode - 101

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

John Lennon - Live In New York City

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

Gary Numan - Scarred

Rush - A Show Of Hands

Roger Waters - In The Flesh

The Who - Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970

King Crimson - Absent lovers

Genesis - Seconds Out

Led Zep - How The West Was Won

Roxy Music - Viva!

Neil Young - Weld

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg

Yes - Yessongs

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Wishbone Ash - Live Dates

Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 74

Rory Gallagher - Stagestruck

Favourite live album - non RUSH...

THIN LIZZY......Live & Dangerous

UFO.......Strangers In The Night

LED ZEPPELIN.......The Song Remains The Same

........How The West Was Won

ERIC CLAPTON.........Just One Night

.........Unplugged

DEEP PURPLE..........Live In Japan

LYNYRD SKYNYRD........One More From The Road

PINK FLOYD...............Pulse

My favourites, non-Rush are:

UFO - Strangers in the Night

THIN LIZZY - Live and Dangerous

QUEEN - Live Killers

MARILLION - Real to Reel

FISH - Sushi

GENESIS - Live

HAWKWIND - A Space Ritual

TESLA - 5 Man Acoustical Band

WHITESNAKE - Live in the Heart of the City

QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Livecrime

SLADE - Alive

My favorite live albums updated

Pink Floyd Pulse(as far as post-Roger Waters live albums go and the performances are amazing)

Pink Floyd Is There Anybody Out There The Wall Live(best Waters era live recording and makes The Wall studio album sound pale)

Rush Different Stages(excellent live recording from our Canadian boys) Rush Exit Stage Left(album was stepping stone to me being a Rush fan)

Queen On Fire Live at the Bowl(excellent show from the Hot Space tour and arguably had Queen at top of peak as a live band)

Queen Live Killers(some of the best of Queen live as a four piece)

The Who Live at Leeds Deluxe Edition(the original issue and 1995 issues are just highlights now the complete Leeds is WAY BETTER!!!!)

Genesis Seconds Out(no other live Genesis recording equalled this)

The Rolling Stones Love You Live(even for just the El Mocambo section and the band was on fire in 1975/76)

Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies re-issue live disc(Alice Cooper Band's greatest moment as a live band)

Cream Royal Albert Hall(this recent album proved Cream does get better with age)

Queensryche Operation Livecrime and Live in Tokyo(which is bonus album on re-issue of Queensryche EP)

Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same(I always loved this album)

Led Zeppelin How the West Was Won(excellent performance)

Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust Soundtrack(Hammersmith Odeon July, 1973 and had Bowie at top of his game)

Humble Pie Performance Rockin the Fillmore(great album)

Peter Frampton Frampton Comes Alive(arguably one of rock's greatest live recording)

Supertramp Paris(Supertramp at the pinnacle of their game)

Black Sabbath Live Evil(Dio singing Ozzy songs WAY better than Ozzy)

Rainbow Live in Germany 1976

Eagles Eagles Live

Thin Lizzy Alive and Dangerous(who knows how much of this album was actually live)

Ozzy Osbourne Speak of the Devil

KISS Alive(or Alive in the Studio as everything save drums were re-recorded in the studio)

Triumph King Biscuit Flower Hour 1981(Triumph during the Allied Forces tour showing they could kick anyone's a** off-stage

AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It(Bon Scott's finest hour)

Deep Purple Made in Japan(still Deep Purple's best hour)

ELP Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends(ELP on top of their game)

Yes Yessongs(Yes would not ever match this brilliance in concert again)

Iron Maiden Rock in Rio

Kansas Two For the Show(excellent album I am waiting fro Sony BMG to re-issue the damn thing with bonus tracks like Closet Chronicles and Miracles Out of Nowhere)

Judas Priest Unleashed in the East(remastered version as it was over an hour of great 70s Priest stuff and I also do like Priest...Live)

Journey Live in Houston 1981

Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-85

Umm.... do DVDs count?

If so I nominate The Who: Tommy Live as the best live show ever.

If we're only talking CDs I vote for The Who: Live at the Isle of Wight (I much prefer that one to Live at Leeds although both are good).

For Rush, I haven't gotten into the live stuff completely but of what I've heard Rio tops the list. Heck, that's one of the best concerts, period.

I seem to remember Fleetwood Mac's The Dance being pretty good (the DVD) but my taste has changed a bit since I last heard that so my opinion might be different now.

For Kansas- I've never really been impressed with Two for the Show, and the truncated CD just makes it worse. The new Kansas live album, Device- Voice- Drum is better, IMO. I have a couple of boots (one from the Masque tour and one from Point of Know Return), and both of them are better than Two for the Show, if you ask me.

Jethro Tull- I have boots that are better than any of the offical stuff, but the new, complete Bursting Out set is probably the best you can get off the shelf.

Great thread! My (non-rush) favorites include...

B.B. King - Live at San Quentin

Blind Guardian - Live

Blues Traveler - Live at Red Rocks (7/4/05)

Blues Traveler - Live at the Fall

Dave Matthews Band - Listener Supported

Dave Matthews Band - The Central Park Concert

Dream Theater - Live Scenes From New York

Dream Theater - Live at Budokan

Garth Brooks - Double Live (Central Park)

Green Day - Bullet In A Bible

King Crimson - Vroom Vroom

Kiss - Alive!

Kiss - Alive III

Metallica - S&M

Thelonius Monk And John Coltrane - Live at Carnegie Hall

O.A.R. - Any Time Now

Opeth - Lamentations: Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire

Ozomatli - Live at the Fillmore

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sounds of Thunder

Paul McCartney - Back In the US

Frank Sinatra - Live at The Sands with the Count Basie Orchestra

311 - 311 Day 2004 in New Orleans

Tower of Power - Soul Vaccination

Yellowjackets - Mint Jam

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 1 2006, 11:47 PM)
Umm.... do DVDs count?

If so I nominate The Who: Tommy Live as the best live show ever.

If we're only talking CDs I vote for The Who: Live at the Isle of Wight (I much prefer that one to Live at Leeds although both are good).

For Rush, I haven't gotten into the live stuff completely but of what I've heard Rio tops the list. Heck, that's one of the best concerts, period.

I seem to remember Fleetwood Mac's The Dance being pretty good (the DVD) but my taste has changed a bit since I last heard that so my opinion might be different now.

For Kansas- I've never really been impressed with Two for the Show, and the truncated CD just makes it worse. The new Kansas live album, Device- Voice- Drum is better, IMO. I have a couple of boots (one from the Masque tour and one from Point of Know Return), and both of them are better than Two for the Show, if you ask me.

Jethro Tull- I have boots that are better than any of the offical stuff, but the new, complete Bursting Out set is probably the best you can get off the shelf.

Bursting Out is a superb live album. The Who Tommy Live 1989 was awful with Patti LaBelle, Billy Idol and Steve Winwood all sucking. Phil Collins was tolerable as Uncle Ernie but I miss Keith. Elton reprised the Pinball Wizard but was better as him in the movie.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the Tommy show. That performance (on VHS) was my first introduction to Tommy and to The Who. It made me into a life-long Who fan and without that, I probably would not be a Rush fan.

That being said, I can understand why many people don't like it. It isn't "classic Who", or even strictly "post-Moon Who", but a completely different animal altogether.

Frampton Comes Alive

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Pink Floyd - Pulse & Delicate Sound of Thunder

Kiss Alive 1

Sarah McLaughlin - Mirrorball Live

Bob Seger - Live Bullet

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 2 2006, 12:58 AM)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the Tommy show. That performance (on VHS) was my first introduction to Tommy and to The Who. It made me into a life-long Who fan and without that, I probably would not be a Rush fan.

That being said, I can understand why many people don't like it. It isn't "classic Who", or even strictly "post-Moon Who", but a completely different animal altogether.

I saw The Who on that 1989 tour in Foxboro Stadium in July of 1989, my first ever concert I went to.

They did 1/2 of Tommy to start which was Overture and It's a Boy then 1921(with Daltrey singing), Amazing Journey, Sparks, The Acid Queen(Pete sang), Pinball Wizard, Do You Think It's Alright, Fiddle About(The Ox sang), I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp(Pete singing and acting goofy) and We're Not Gonna Take It. Plus their early singles(I Can't Explain, My Generation, Substitute, I Can See For Miles, Magic Bus(just Daltrey, Townshend and Entwistle)) some album tracks(I'm One from Quadrophenia with Townshend by himself, Too Much of Anything from Odds and Sods just Daltrey and Townshend, A Trick of the Light with The Ox singing instead of Roger, My Wife), the obvious classics(Summertime Blues, Baba O' Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again(which closed the show), 5:15, Love Reign O'er Me, Who Are You, You Better You Bet) and Pete even played some solo tracks(A Little is Enough, A Friend is a Friend, Face the Face, Rough Boys) and also a version of Love Hurts(the Roy Orbison song made famous by Nazareth). Great show it was but the all-star performance of Tommy was not my cup of tea.

Archived