Does anyone else like Dog Years?

KenJennings

I take I THink Im Going Bald over Dog Years, but i really like I Think Im Going Bald, cause its soo true for Lifeson! laugh.gif you gotta love the irony in that song!!

I like Dog Years very much.

Lately, I come to feel like living in a dog years - seven years go by like one. How time flys..

BTW, 2006 is the "Dog" year in chinese zodiac. wink.gif

Dog Years,as far as I know,is the only song in recorded history that portends to describe what actually happens inside a dogs head or brain.And yet,who among us cannot relate to a constant buzz of low level static.

Like it or not Dog Years will hold a place of distinction for most Rush fans.I will choose that place to be one of good fun and enjoyment.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jan 18 2006, 02:44 AM)
yes.gif  I like it also ,didn't Neal had a hangover when he wrote this?
Read that somewhere maybe  from contents under pressure.

I don't remember which interview it was but Neil did say something about one of the guy's bringing along something to celebrate the big reunion with, and that he joined in despite having reservations. I always assumed it was something to smoke, "one sniff of the hydrant", or maybe to snort? Anyway it seems to me he's comparing people to dogs in a way that is not exactly complimentary to the people, including himself of course. I think it's a typically brilliant commentary on the human condition. Perhaps not his most flowing lyrics, but among his most biting. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Musically what more could you ask for? Great power chords and rhythm from Al. Terrific groove on drums and bass, and Ged gets in the spirit of the song with his howling vocal stylings. As a return to a more hard-edged style (which I love) I think TFE overall quite outstanding! I guess there's just no pleasing some folks. confused13.gif

I quite like "Dog Years" now, but I also suspect the song has tongue in cheek. "For every sad son of a bitch"? Would Peart have perpetrated such a pun if he weren't trying to be funny?

That said, I agree that the song isn't mere filler or fluff, silly as its lyrics may be. And I will defend the lines about preferring to be "a tortoise on Galapagos or a span of geological time"--they're definitely lyrics by Neil Peart, that's for sure, and just take a moment to try to imagine how one could conceivably be (rather than endure for) a span of geological time. A mindbender, that one!

I also really like the opening bars that chug along with heavy cymbal--as MiriyaB noted, it sounds very reminiscent of X (another outstanding band that's effectively a musical trio + singer, to borrow Geddy's characterization of the Who).

Edited by Guest

sad.gif I am sorry but I just don't like DOG YEARS at all no.gif

Just listening to it now, and I reckon it's pretty cool. It has a good tune.

T4E isn't my favourite Rush album: the title track is good, as is Dog Years, but Resist and Driven are WAY better live.

None of the other tracks really grab me, but I'm going to give it another listen all the way through just to make sure... tongue.gif

T4E can take some time in getting used to. There is a coldness to the sound that doesn't immediately attach itself to you. But... all of the songs are incredible!! Totem and Time and Motion don't get enough credit for being the masterful works of art that they truly are.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 31 2006, 09:43 AM)
T4E can take some time in getting used to. There is a coldness to the sound that doesn't immediately attach itself to you. But... all of the songs are incredible!! Totem and Time and Motion don't get enough credit for being the masterful works of art that they truly are.

I reckon you've got that spot on: I said I prefer Resist and Driven live, and that's probably because they sound 'warmer' and a little more passionate.

Having said that, I'm enjoying Driven off T4E right now. Funny how perceptions change.

Love the song, love the album. Rush "progressiveness" (if there is such a word) at it's best, coupled with a great sens of humour. The best albums are the ones that take a bit of getting into.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 13 2006, 11:22 PM)
The lyrics are exceedingly corny. The instrumentation is good, but the lyrics are truly cringeworthy. Same with "Virtuality".

I suppose you're one of those people who say the same about the trees?

I think it is a great song. The only Rush song that was eh was Face Up but other than that I have yet to hear a deplorable Rush track.