Does anyone else like Dog Years?

KenJennings

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Aug 11 2006, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (gaijin97 @ May 15 2006, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ May 15 2006, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 15 2006, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (SalmonRushGuy @ May 15 2006, 12:29 AM)
I love all of Test for Echo. Neil's "Work In Progress" DVD which features Neil discussing his drum parts on the entire album (including "Dog Years") make it a little more special to me. smile.gif

2.gif

Exactly, man. A Work In Progress shows what Peart was working on for a year and a half, to see and hear the drum parts by it self should enlighten anyone how great Test For Echo is. When Peart starts up he is the best rock drummer in the whole world. Does he hit harder than anyone? Hell yes.

I'm not a drummer and I never saw that DVD, so maybe I am a complete idiot on the subject, but the drumming on TFE is, to me, totally unremarkable, by NEP standards.

As opposed to, say, MP, Signals, GUP and PoW, which all amaze me in terms of the drumming every time I listen to them.

What am I missing? Seriously, name a drumming high point of T4E, which song, where in the song, and I will try to listen again with fresh ears.

I would say that one remarkable aspect of the drumming on TFE is that NP recorded it with a fundamentally different style than what he had used for the prior 20+ years (re: the Freddy Gruber influence). While it may not be so noticeable to me as a listener, as a drummer I think it's pretty impressive.

The opening of TEST FOR ECHO Pearts cymbals, then his Bass drum onslaught then even more up and down changes flowing and then powerful then flowing again. What a ride!... for drummers, and those that appreciate the subtleties of Pearts drumming and genious. Here we go.... DRIVEN! You've seen it live! 2.gif IN RIO shows intense drum parts, especially on cymbals. Get the DVD, "A Work In Progress" It may change your mind.

I really love the drums on Time and Motion that's a Peart master class...

T4E pretty much stays 3-star quality the whole time. nothing too bad, nothing too good

I don't know, Test for Echo and Driven are pretty darn good. So is Resist, for that matter. And The Color of Right. And Time and Motion. Test for Echo is very underrated in my book.

• Like 2

I think the song is okay, but the sad son of a bitch line is laughable.

I believe that's the point.

The song is one big pun-fest.

Which point would that be? I don't the rest of the song is bad.

Y'all can go to take a pee if they play Dog Years, I'll be the one guy rocking it.

Now, on the other hand, if I hear any indicia of Superconductor, my bladder will get very weak...

Total agreement, I'll also go piss if I hear the opening notes of a The Body Electric.