Question about iPod video

Moonraker

I recently purchased one of these, and have uploaded my music into it, but am having some difficulty figuring out how to transfer video files over. I read somewhere that they had to be in the mp4 file format, but it still doesnt transfer. Is there anyone here who has experience putting videos onto these things?

I must not be doing something right. I dled Videora, a program that is supposed to convert your video files into a format readable by the Ipod, and I was successful in putting it into iTunes. But it is not possible to drag the video file into the Ipod, so its not uploading. Maybe I just need to read that article a little closer, but its a little frustrating, its been a few days and I still havent gotten it yet. Thanks though launch, I will reread that article a little closer.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 12 2006, 09:17 PM)
I must not be doing something right. I dled Videora, a program that is supposed to convert your video files into a format readable by the Ipod, and I was successful in putting it into iTunes. But it is not possible to drag the video file into the Ipod, so its not uploading. Maybe I just need to read that article a little closer, but its a little frustrating, its been a few days and I still havent gotten it yet. Thanks though launch, I will reread that article a little closer.

Moon, I don't know if this will help or not, but I own an iPod mini, and I also frequently cannot "drag" files to my iPod, but if I import them using the menus at the top of iTunes, it will work. Have you tried that?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 13 2006, 07:00 AM)
Yeah, thats the vague description they tell you to do, but it isnt working. I have a feeling they made these things intentionally difficult to use though, just so you have to buy videos off itunes to get it to work.

I'll second your suspicions. I think iTunes is very particular about what it will and won't do and it's all geared towards making it more difficult to listen/watch anything that isn't purchased from the iTunes store.

Just wanted to say as a heads up for anyone else who may run into this problem, I found a way to get them on. I downloaded the program Videora Ipod Converter v.91 and followed the converter guide and that solved my problem. The only thing I would add is that after you click the button to transcode a new video, you have to change the video quality to the bottom option, something like "Ipod Music Video format". the default conversion doesnt transfer to Ipods.

This is a windows based program.

thanx Moon!! i also saw a Tivo converter on that website which is cool....

altho, i'm not sure exactly when and how i would use something like that, i will be using the Ipod converter for my 60GB ipod....

!!!

More info for iPod users. If you have a windows operating system, there is a program I have found which allows you to transfer music from your ipod back to your itunes library or into a seperate folder on your computer. Very handy if you like having a backup copy of your music and have to reformat or get a new computer. Anyway if you are interested, check out http://www.copypod.net

Note though, you only get a 14 day free trial before you have to pay for the the program, so if you dont want to pay, save using this until you absolutely need it.