Copy Protection

D-13

Personally I think it's a real pain in the arse. I bought Kasabian and got that stoopid thing in my computer. Yesterday I bought 40 Below Summer...play it today and it says it's not the original CD so it won't play at all! angry.gif comp26.gif comp26.gif I hate this rice!!!

Yeah, the copyright protection thing is total bs. I dont think that record companies quite understand where the problem is with music. Sure, people are dling music at a much higher rate then they were before, and electronic stores like iTunes or services like Rhapsody are definatly a good direction for them to be going in. But they dont quite get that trying to charge $20 for a 40 minute cd just doesnt work for a lot of people.

BTW, if you need the files for that Kasabian album without them sounding all garbled, let me know

What are we talking about? I upload everything ot my computer. Is there a problem now? Will I be able to upload the new r30 cd's? I may have heard about this, but I don't buy too many discs a year. Luckily i either get what I want from my kids or they buy me a few discs at christmas and the ol' birthday. What's the scoop? fill me in okay?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 27 2005, 07:09 PM)
BTW, if you need the files for that Kasabian album without them sounding all garbled, let me know

Moon, I've noticed that some cd's will distort if you rip them to your hard drive and transfer them to your iPod or mp3. Do you know if this is a form of copyright protection?

I think so, I have a number of cds that does this for me, including that Kasabian and my Velvet Revolver one. I dont know how to get around it, but if you go to a website to download the cd, its the only way to get the files without the distortion.

Kinda ironic, I wouldnt illegally dl the album if it didnt have that copyright protection on it. Its having the exact opposite effect the record companies want.

I was out at my uncles in Oregon this summer, and we were duplicating some of his live shows (shows he got from torrents and whatnot). When I was putting away some of the burns, my cd case fell of of his workdesk (his system is in his garage) and my Counterparts CD fell, and must've landed on an angle, because the cd case fell on top of it, and shattered the cd. My uncle had counterparts, and I put it in the duper to make another, and it wouldn't copy it. So, even though that I had bought it, I now need to buy another one. Bah...

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 27 2005, 04:09 PM)
Yeah, the copyright protection thing is total bs. I dont think that record companies quite understand where the problem is with music. Sure, people are dling music at a much higher rate then they were before, and electronic stores like iTunes or services like Rhapsody are definatly a good direction for them to be going in. But they dont quite get that trying to charge $20 for a 40 minute cd just doesnt work for a lot of people.

lol I downloaded it because I was so pissed off...and I never download stuff! It is Ironic. thanks for the offer biggrin.gif

Yeah, copy protection is bs. I usually get CDs from the library and copy them, but I heard about the VR and Kasabian ones doing the scrambling thing, and those were both CDs I wanted to check out, so I had to download them illegally. I'm not against that at all, but I agree with Moon, it's kind of ironic how the labels are so heavily opposed to copying, but the only way to listen to these CDs properly is to illegally download them.

What amazes me is that they don't realise that continually jacking up the prices of CDs is NOT the way to get people to do what they want.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 27 2005, 07:47 PM)
I think so, I have a number of cds that does this for me, including that Kasabian and my Velvet Revolver one.  I dont know how to get around it,

There isn't really an easy way around it but It Can Be Done with some extra gear. If you have an external cd burner and an external cd player it can be done with No Problem! Note: It cannot be done with the dual tray burners (1 play side/1 record side), it will get the same result as your computer ripping it.

Plug the outputs of the standard cd player into the inputs of the burner and record away!! unsure.gif unsure.gif cool.gif cool.gif

I dont understand any of this at all. Everyone used to buy cassettes and tape them from people and now its just being done on a computer. With so much of the music out there most of us have already bought the stuff on records or cassettes anyway. Total BS. If we like the music that well than we will buy the orginal and we should be able to upload onto whatever player we like.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Jan 2 2006, 09:40 AM)
I can put all of my "stolen" Mp3's onto my Mp3 player....but my storebought CD's which I ripped in a long time ago, won't go onto it. That's my own fault, but it's annoying I have to reburn them, specially since I lost a few....

That's why the PSP is the best thing ever!!! You put it right onto the memory stick when it's outside of the PSP, and when you put it back in, it'll play fine. I just tried it with my newest Neil Young, and it went onto my PSP fine, but not my Ipod.

That 'copy protection' sh*t has seriously got to be one of the biggest bullsh*t ever.

I just got my first copy of rolling stone magazine....and this article was in it...

Sony to Settle Lawsuit

Fans who bought Sony BMG albums that included intrusive copy-protection software will receive cash or free downloads under a proposed settlement of several class action lawsuits. In the settlement- those who bought CD's with the most problematic software, XCP, would get a choice of either $7.50 in cash and one free album download, or three free album downloads. Sony also agreed to stop manufacturing CD's using both XCP and another protection scheme, Mediamax.

There's more to the article but you get the point....

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 28 2005, 11:22 PM)
I dont understand any of this at all. Everyone used to buy cassettes and tape them from people and now its just being done on a computer. With so much of the music out there most of us have already bought the stuff on records or cassettes anyway. Total BS. If we like the music that well than we will buy the orginal and we should be able to upload onto whatever player we like.

my thoughts too.... yes.gif people are retarded laugh.gif

Archived