Recommend a favorite flick

The Notorious B.S.G.

Let's share our recommendations for movies that others may have missed. Perhaps a flick or two out of the mainstream. An overlooked classic, an obscure B-movie. A box office bust that just couldn't find its audience.

I'll start:

The Man Who Would Be King - Sean Connery, Michael Caine 1975

A rousing, old-fashioned fun tale of ambition, empire, and that most special quality, British wit and humor. Based on a tale by Rudyard Kipling, this movie tells the story of two enlisted men in Her Majesty's Service (or was it HIS Majesty?) who get ambitious and decide that making themselves kings is the only course worthy of their lofty talents.

Some of the pacing is a little slow by today's standards, but bear with it. It'll be worth your while IMO.

Edited by BSG

A particular favourite of mine is Soylent Green

Made in 1973, it carries an ecological message, but stands on its own as a good yarn, with a twist in the tale. Some images are disturbing, not necessarily because of their graphicness, but because they are plausible.

Charlton Heston is excellent, but special mention must go to Edward G.Robinson, for this, his final film. He adds a touch of dignity that serves as a counterpoint to the way in which the surging masses of humanity in a New York of 20 million plus are regarded by those who are better off.

I'm not sure how well known this is in the US/Canada, but I don't believe it gets the recognition it deserves on this side of the Atlantic.

One of my all-time favorites: 'Northwest Passage'

I know, I hyper-pimp it every time I get the chance, but it's just a great, great, great, great movie!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 19 2004, 02:42 AM)
One of my favs. Just a great all around movie. That Thing You Do

I absolutely love that movie!

I've never seen that...guess I should, with two glowing recommendations such as these.

smile.gif

"The Hidden", a low-budget 80's SF flick with Kyle Maclachlan and Michael Nouri. Has a really great car chase & dialog and interplay between the characters is terrific. Also has a lot of very subtle nuances to the story that you probably won't catch the first time through. One of the first DVD's I bought.

Here's the IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 19 2004, 04:02 PM)
I've never seen that...guess I should, with two glowing recommendations such as these.

smile.gif

That is such an awesome movie (That Thing You Do). Anytime we flip around and it's on.... it stays on.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by paganoman

If you like creepy ghost stories..... you must catch "The Changeling".

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783116926.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

When a recent widower (the wonderfully overemphatic George C. Scott ) moves into an antique Washington mansion, his realization that he may not be the only resident leads him toward a deadly secret that refuses to remain buried....The best haunted-house film since the legendary Haunting, this potent, classy combination of the mystery and horror genres eschews explicit gore and dumb shocks in exchange for a subtle creepiness that occasionally builds to a terrifying peak (watch out for that seance scene!). The result is a satisfyingly intelligent horror film with an intriguing dash of Watergate-era paranoia. Director Peter Medak went on to direct the considerably more gratuitous and somewhat less effective Romeo Is Bleeding and The Krays. --Andrew Wright

No blood, very little special effects, not a "horror" movie. Just a good haunting and ghost story/mystery. I MADE my wife watch it. I still get punched. tongue.gif But even she'll admit - it's awesome.

Edited by paganoman

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 20 2004, 02:19 PM)
Ooooh, this sounds good. I love a good scary movie. Thanks, paganoman biggrin.gif

Thanks GG. I truly hope you do watch it. Turn the lights down, grab the popcorn, turn up the volume a bit, and grab onto something... or someone. wink.gif If anyone does watch it.... I hope they return to this thread and say what they thought of it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (yankeeyankeezulu @ Oct 20 2004, 10:52 AM)
"The Hidden", a low-budget 80's SF flick with Kyle Maclachlan and Michael Nouri. Has a really great car chase & dialog and interplay between the characters is terrific. Also has a lot of very subtle nuances to the story that you probably won't catch the first time through. One of the first DVD's I bought.

Here's the IMDB page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/

Yes!!! This is definitely an obscure, but cool flick! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm not a huge movie buff, but since DVD's started becoming the standand (and affordable) I've been building a nice collection. I rented a movie a few years ago that I knew nothing about, just took a chance on an old movie. My wife and I have liked other movies based on Agatha Christie plays. So we rented Witness For The Prosecution (1957). It's a good movie, entertaining with a decent story, but the thing I fell in love with is Charles Laughton. He was so damn funny. Every time he moves or opens his mouth I was laughing out loud. Just an incredible British wit and scathing sarcasm.. I now own this on DVD. I'm sure some of you have seen it but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Witness For The Prosecution

Try "Intermission" with Colin Farrell, Cillian Murphy, and Colm Meaney.

Great indie-flick but, if you have problems with heavy Irish accents, turn on the subtitles! I had to rewind a couple of times to catch the dialogue (especially Cillian Murphy).

But well worth it --

Edited by Quyn

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 19 2004, 01:42 AM)
One of my favs. Just a great all around movie. That Thing You Do

The movie is on right now on Cinemax. Sure enough - have to watch it. And OMG how I love Faye. wub.gif