Best Live Gigs 2005

madra sneachta

I decided to do this now and then leave for the weekend, because I know as soon as Moonraker contributes to this thread, I'll rapidly descend into a maelstrom of jealousy and depression.

My gigs of the year were as follows -

Arcade Fire (Laois) - Not so much as gig as a religious experience.

The Flaming Lips (Laois) - When the second song in is Bohemian Rhapsody complete with the operatic middle section flashed up on a massive karaoke screen, you know you're in for something special.

REM (Belfast) - The most animated I've ever seen Stipe, the bumbling, almost apologetic studebt I've seen in the past is replaced by the Green Hornet with appalling dress sense and his underpants on fire.

Hayseed Dixie (Derry) - There's something joyous in discovering that not only can your favourite novelty band cut it live, there's real substance there when the novelty wears off.

Kasabian (Kildare) - Sometimes, when you've waited to see a band for ages, the expectation is such that the gig is inevitably a let down. On very rare occasions, it may exceed expectations. This was one of those moments.

The Futureheads (Kildare) - My second time seeing them - the first was two years ago before the album was even recorded. They've obviously improved, but crucially, they've learned that all too rare balance of communicating with the audience while maintaining a tight focus on the music. The Hounds of Love singalong is worth the price of admission on it's own.

Jinx Lennon (Donegal) - This means nothing to anyone else on the board I suspect, but Jinx is a true genius IMO.

Kaiser Chiefs (Kildare) - Amazing live band, aren't they Moon?.......Moon?...... moon.gif

U2 was pretty good as expected.

System of a Down was awesome as usual.

The Mars Volva is worth mentioning.

P.S. Madra, you liked the Flaming Lips huh. I met those guys in 1994 at Lollapalooza and helped them setup and hung out with them and a few other bands backstage the whole day. It was pretty cool. They are "different" that's for sure. The also produced Verbena on their first CD before Dave Grohl took over as their producer. They've been around for quite a while now.

Madra, it's not the quanity that counts, it's the quality. 1022.gif

Don't be depressed. smile.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 16 2005, 12:06 PM)

---

There were plenty of other incredible shows, but these were the ones that really stuck in my mind. I cant wait to see what next year will have in store.

2.gif ???? 1022.gif trink36.gif

Rolling Stones at Fenway Park(how Mick and Keith can still truck on past 60 is a testament to The Rolling Stones' legacy).

Judas Priest with Queensryche at Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA(Priest can still rock today especially since Halford returned)

Only saw 2 shows, but both were great...

Green Day I saw for the second time (saw em last fall too), and they were great, as usual.

I went with a few friends a week ago to see Kanye West at the Coliseum, and I had never been to a rap/hip-hop concert before, and he actually put on a really good show.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 16 2005, 06:29 PM)
Only saw 2 shows, but both were great...

Green Day I saw for the second time (saw em last fall too), and they were great, as usual.

I went with a few friends a week ago to see Kanye West at the Coliseum, and I had never been to a rap/hip-hop concert before, and he actually put on a really good show.

Green Day poseur punks! Kanye West, dumbkuff rapper. Surprised no one brought machine guns to the show unlike other rap concerts like Jay-Z and so forth where violence usually erupts. My older brother once went to a rap concert sponsored by a radio station in Boston and once was enough for him as some jackass at the gig opened fire and some people got injured. Luckily, my brother got out of there UNSCATHED!

Archived