Why?

RushRevisited

A thread here inspired me to pop in Rush In Rio again. Just saw Natural Science and cannot fathom why this song was dumped from the setlist this tour. GOD I hope they bring this back next time around. What musical inspiration, man... An absolutely kick ass song, played to perfection....
  • Like 1

It was played on the T4E tour, and played on the VT tour. I guess they decided if they wanted to fit Xanadu in the mix, they would have to drop something. Thats what it came down to. They love playing this song and I am sure that it will not be the last time we hear it. But every once and a while they have to mix up the setlist to bring something new in, this year just happened to be that time.

I'm just wondering when they will drop La Villa and what they will put in in its place.

I didn't like that they cut out the second guitar solo. AlexFinal.gif That was my favorite part of the song!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Oct 15 2004, 11:59 PM)
If they take out La Villa, What song should Al's rant be in? AlexFinal.gif confused13.gif

I think Alex should start performing the rap from "Roll the Bones."

QUOTE (Emops @ Oct 16 2004, 01:09 AM)
If they take out La Villa, What song should Al's rant be in? AlexFinal.gif  confused13.gif

yes.gif now THAT would be good!

QUOTE (Emops @ Oct 15 2004, 09:09 PM)
If they take out La Villa, What song should Al's rant be in? AlexFinal.gif  confused13.gif

Wow, that would be an incredible idea. Have Alex feign his way each night through the rap section, everyone would die laughing.

QUOTE (Emops @ Oct 16 2004, 01:09 AM)

That's a good idea, but I was hoping they'd dump "Roll The Bones" on the next tour. I go get a pretzel when that song comes on.

Once again its teeth grind time.

Every Rush forum I go on it seems like there's someone moaning about the set list on the R30 tour. They didn't do this, they didn't do that, they played this one in stead of that one.

Any band with such a wealth of material to draw upon, like Rush have, will always have to strike a balance when compiling their set list. They have to weigh what the fans want to hear with what they want to play. If they omit too many favourites, the crowd will feel short changed. If they play too much that they don't really want to play, their performance will probably suffer.

Personally, I think they did a great job with the R30 set list. Personally, I would have liked to have had at least one song from Presto in there and Closer to the Heart would have been nice, but I ain't complaining.

Being a British fan it was just a pleasure to actually get to see them live again. Unlike you Americans and Canadians who get regular Rush tours, we've had to wait 12 long years. Plus spare a thought for the Italian and Czech fans who got to see them for the first time. I'm sure they didn't give a hoot about what they played.

I think Moonraker hit the nail on the head - Dropping NS was most likely a trade off for Xanadu and the addition of Finale to Overture & Temples on 2112. I'd have liked to have heard NS, and a few more from Vapor Trails (Nocturne & Vapor Trail in particular). Mind you, as an Irish fan who has just seen them for the first time ever, I agree with Slaine - I lost no sleep over the playlist.

Another point I'd make - The night before Birmingham NEC, I saw Gary Numan in Birmingham. His set was slightly shorter than the first set at the Rush gig. They give value, and we can't argue about that.

I love Natural Science. It has to be the second biggest thrill for me at a Rush concert. The biggest was hearing The Analog Kid on the CP tour. Back then the internet wasn't as huge, so the set list was never known before the show. When they busted into TAK I almost had an out of body experience. This was when I was still in High School and had only discovered them from fellow drummers a couple of years earlier...so at that period they were the mightiest of God's in my eyes. At this point and having many friends in the industry I know I will never have that feeling again to that extreme. Crazy. Natural Science is a real close second...hell who am I kidding, there's no way to have a favorite or second favorite Rush song. If you think you do you are subconsciously letting yourself be fooled because you are tired of pondering the question.

Anyways, back to the point...as if I ever touched on one....I'm glad they don't play The Analog Kid and NS every tour. If they did those moments that are memories would lose some sort of credibility. For example....I love the setlists they produce, but the songs that are the staples don't do much for me anymore. I couldn't be happier that they ditched Closer To The Heart. Let me put it like this, and you know what I mean. At a Rush show there are songs that just drive you crazy with excitement , "can't stop moving" ... and there are others that you love, but you're cool with using them as your catch your breath time.

For F's sake, am I making any sense to anyone?

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Oct 16 2004, 08:55 AM)
I love Natural Science. It has to be the second biggest thrill for me at a Rush concert. The biggest was hearing The Analog Kid on the CP tour. Back then the internet wasn't as huge, so the set list was never known before the show. When they busted into TAK I almost had an out of body experience. This was when I was still in High School and had only discovered them from fellow drummers a couple of years earlier...so at that period they were the mightiest of God's in my eyes. At this point and having many friends in the industry I know I will never have that feeling again to that extreme. Crazy. Natural Science is a real close second...hell who am I kidding, there's no way to have a favorite or second favorite Rush song. If you think you do you are subconsciously letting yourself be fooled because you are tired of pondering the question.

Anyways, back to the point...as if I ever touched on one....I'm glad they don't play The Analog Kid and NS every tour. If they did those moments that are memories would lose some sort of credibility. For example....I love the setlists they produce, but the songs that are the staples don't do much for me anymore. I couldn't be happier that they ditched Closer To The Heart. Let me put it like this, and you know what I mean. At a Rush show there are songs that just drive you crazy with excitement , "can't stop moving" ... and there are others that you love, but you're cool with using them as your catch your breath time.

Not a lick a sense, ya addled bozo!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif bsg.gif

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Oct 16 2004, 12:55 PM)

I can see the point you're making there. However, the point I'm making is that the non-North Americans among the Rush fraternity don't get chance to get tired of hearing 'the staples'. Wembley on the 9th was the sixth time I've seen them and, as far as my memory will permit me to detail, the ones that have been played on every tour have been Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Tom Sawyer and some part of 2112. And none of them, with the possible exception of Limelight, are songs I'll ever get tired.

To be honest, reading some of the posts that American fans write, some of you who get to see them ever tour are getting a little blase about the whole thing. As I said in my previous posts there are comments about various pet songs being omitted that borders on whinging. By the same token, some of the comments I've seen about them not varying the set list has been the same.

All I can say is count your blessings - you don't have to wait over a decade between tours. And for us this side of the pond, R30 could well be out last opportunity.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 16 2004, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Oct 16 2004, 12:55 PM)

I can see the point you're making there. However, the point I'm making is that the non-North Americans among the Rush fraternity don't get chance to get tired of hearing 'the staples'. Wembley on the 9th was the sixth time I've seen them and, as far as my memory will permit me to detail, the ones that have been played on every tour have been Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Tom Sawyer and some part of 2112. And none of them, with the possible exception of Limelight, are songs I'll ever get tired.

To be honest, reading some of the posts that American fans write, some of you who get to see them ever tour are getting a little blase about the whole thing. As I said in my previous posts there are comments about various pet songs being omitted that borders on whinging. By the same token, some of the comments I've seen about them not varying the set list has been the same.

All I can say is count your blessings - you don't have to wait over a decade between tours. And for us this side of the pond, R30 could well be out last opportunity.

True. I forgot about you guys. Can always catch a show here, though.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 16 2004, 02:23 PM)
Not on my wages, they go on trivial things like food, rent and cloths for the kids

Isn't that funny Slaine? I went from numerous shows each tour (before wife and kids) to two shows max. But I really wouldn't have it any other way wink.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 16 2004, 02:35 PM)
I suppose I'll just have to hope we win the lottery before the next tour

Then again, I am fortunate enough, as you said, to see them regularly. So I guess I should just count my lucky stars.