Live music beats the hell out of recordings

Agree or not?

Nothing like, imo, hearing a band live, with all the energy of the band and the crowd jumping and dancing and frolicing, etc. All that energy (visual, audial, even touch), just comes together to create an awesome experience that cannot be duplicated in recordings, whether audio or visual.

It depends. Largely, yes, but some bands I find to be less of an experience in a live context -- I'm thinking particularly Porcupine Tree. Of course they give a GREAT show, but the atmospheric subtleness of the studio recordings and, especially, of the keyb+synth player is mostly lost in the live context.

Rush are a great live band. Some tracks were better live than studio as with Pink Floyd(I have many ROIO recordings of PF live plus the VOIO of The Wall 1980 and San Diego 1994) and Queen. I know Queen did loads in the studio but they were a stellar live band when Freddie Mercury was alive and John Deacon was on bass(watch the Queen on Fire Live at the Bowl or We Will Rock You 1981 DVDs)

I prefer live music for the most part just because of the energy between the band and the audience and the fact that many bands take this opportunity to improvise and change things up a little from the studio versions. I admit however that some bands don't come across a well live as they do in the studio.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 6 2005, 10:25 PM)
Even better when you are playing live!!! http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/Animalhalo.gif http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/rimshot.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 7 2005, 01:28 AM)
Live recordings dont compare at all to the real thing.

Very untrue. "All the Worlds a Stage" is a great example. I would rather hear "Anthem" and "Bastille day" and "In the End" live than on the studio any day. It sounds more powerful and raw. Geddys voice even sounds better. The studio versions sound weak compared, IMO. Some live songs doesn't sound as good but theres a lot of live CD's that blow away the studio versions. I feel this way about "The Song Remains the Same" also. "No quarter", "The Rain song", and a few others on that live album totally blow away the studio versions.

I've seen some bands live and thought it was KILLER, bought the CD and threw it out the window on the way home from the music store because it was horrible. I've also bought live CD's from certain bands and it sounded so horrible that I couldn't stand to listen to it. It all depends who it is and what type of music it is. Matter of fact, I can't stand to listen to RIR because it sounds so washy and too much reverb or delay or something, the studio versions sound way better.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 7 2005, 10:11 AM)

Very untrue. "All the Worlds a Stage" is a great example. I would rather hear "Anthem" and "Bastille day" and "In the End" live than on the studio any day. It sounds more powerful and raw. Geddys voice even sounds better. The studio versions sound weak compared, IMO. Some live songs doesn't sound as good but theres a lot of live CD's that blow away the studio versions. I feel this way about "The Song Remains the Same" also. "No quarter", "The Rain song", and a few others on that live album totally blow away the studio versions.

I've seen some bands live and thought it was KILLER, bought the CD and threw it out the window on the way home from the music store because it was horrible. I've also bought live CD's from certain bands and it sounded so horrible that I couldn't stand to listen to it. It all depends who it is and what type of music it is. Matter of fact, I can't stand to listen to RIR because it sounds so washy and too much reverb or delay or something, the studio versions sound way better.

Are you actually telling me you would rather have the cd ATWAS instead of being at the show?? Seeing Rush in the mid 70's in what was probably a tiny club no bigger then 1500 people?? I didnt say that studio songs blow live recordings away, I meant that seeing them live in person blows live recordings away. Sorry if I didnt make that clear enough earlier, but I think you agree with me that shows are way better then live cds, heh.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 7 2005, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 7 2005, 10:11 AM)

Are you actually telling me you would rather have the cd ATWAS instead of being at the show?? Seeing Rush in the mid 70's in what was probably a tiny club no bigger then 1500 people?? I didnt say that studio songs blow live recordings away, I meant that seeing them live in person blows live recordings away. Sorry if I didnt make that clear enough earlier, but I think you agree with me that shows are way better then live cds, heh.

Hell ya, live shows are way better for sure. I misunderstood you. The only plus side of a live recording is you can listen to it over and over but a live show is etched upon your brain for life.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. Ya, you are correct definately.

I play The Wall Live Is There Anybody Out There? moreso than the studio album.

Many bands were superb live

Pink Floyd

Rush

Queen

Led Zeppelin

The Who(superior onstage than studio)

Supertramp(from their golden era 1974-80)

Triumph

I agree that a live performance is infinitely better than a recording of a live concert, as generally I'm not too into live recordings, save for a couple select bands and some jazz. Live is a great experience, but a rare experience. Give me a well crafted album any day because that you can enjoy all the time. Besides that, most people can't duplicate live what they can do in the studio given the opportunity for several takes and studio wizardry. Of course the benefit is the immediacy of the energy and the live experience. To me they're very different things entirely.

But I don't think we are comparing live recordings to studio albums are we? I thought we was comparing live albums to actually being there watching them live.

QUOTE (Oberon @ Dec 6 2005, 11:41 PM)
...some bands I find to be less of an experience in a live context -- I'm thinking particularly Porcupine Tree. Of course they give a GREAT show, but the atmospheric subtleness of the studio recordings and, especially, of the keyb+synth player is mostly lost in the live context.

Well they must be astounding on record then (I've not heard any of them) becasue I saw them in a small hall last night and it was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen...

Disco

I've always felt that seeing a band live was the only way to accurately gauge how good of a band they really are. Almost anyone can sound good in a studio, especially with all of the studio wizardry available today. I much prefer live music. I even prefer live cd's that haven't had multiple parts re-recorded in the studio (KISS Alive, eg.) to regular studio cd's.

edit:typos

Archived