ESL: Xanadu: Missing Drum Fill

Pags

I asked this in the Xanadu Poll, but not sure if it's visible enough. This seems like the right group of folks who I can finally ask this question:

Does Neil drop his drumstick in the ESL version of Xanadu? - just where the music is easing down a bit before the vocal begins. I've always wondered where that drum fill went. I'll edit this question with the exact time in the track where it happens if I need to.

There must be one of you who know what I'm talking about. sad.gif confused13.gif

Please help!! This has bugged me for years.

I don't know about that but i did witness Neil Drop his right drumstick in the middle of the drum solo on the second night at wembley arena in London, England. I couldn't believe it. No one seemed to notice though, as he was straight in there with a spare. He did look a bit crestfallen for all of two seconds comp26.gif Couldn't get the stick off the roadie though fists crying.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 14 2004, 11:26 AM)
I can't hear it - what point exactly in time?

Ok - I hope this will help locate where I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I don't have ESL with me so I can't say the time there. BUT - I do have the AFTK version handy and I can tell you to go to 4:32 - THAT's the drum fill missing in the ESL version.

It sounds like he starts the fill.. but it abruptly disappears.

Happy hunting.... and thanks for the ear. I hope you hear (or not hear) what I do. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (azzah @ Oct 14 2004, 11:15 AM)
I don't know about that but i did witness Neil Drop his right drumstick in the middle of the drum solo on the second night at wembley arena in London, England. I couldn't believe it. No one seemed to notice though, as he was straight in there with a spare. He did look a bit crestfallen for all of two seconds comp26.gif Couldn't get the stick off the roadie though fists crying.gif

Hey I actually find that to be very cool. I remember during the VT tour in Jersey where Neil stopped playing Driven too early. Alex and Geddy kept playing to no drums. It reminds me that the drum god is actually human. He's so damn good, I forget that sometimes. biggrin.gif:D

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 14 2004, 12:38 PM)

Ok - I hope this will help locate where I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I don't have ESL with me so I can't say the time there. BUT - I do have the AFTK version handy and I can tell you to go to 4:32 - THAT's the drum fill missing in the ESL version.

Happy hunting.... and thanks for the ear. I hope you hear (or not hear) what I do. biggrin.gif

OK, I am going to pop it in when I get home again and try to hear... Is it in the video Exit Stage Left too?

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 14 2004, 12:10 PM)

OK, I am going to pop it in when I get home again and try to hear... Is it in the video Exit Stage Left too?

You know..... I've never seen it. sad.gif Shame on me! dazed025.gif Can only report on the CD.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 14 2004, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 14 2004, 12:10 PM)

You know..... I've never seen it. sad.gif Shame on me! dazed025.gif Can only report on the CD.

I will try to find it in the videa and screen capture that part

I saw Neil drop his stick twice, I think both times were in Red Barchetta, when he threw the stick up when the drums stopped for a moment and he just threw it too far and couldn't reach out and catch it.

I will check out Xanada.

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 14 2004, 12:28 PM)
I seen Neil drop his stick twice, I think both times was in Red Barchetta, when he throws this stick up and he just threw it too far and couldn't reach out and catch it.

I will check out Xanada.

Awesome!! I'd be interested in what other people make of this missing moment.

5:02 on the ESL CD. Just listened to it. He never looses time, but the fill is just not there. It's as if he gets in what he can with one stick. Who knows..... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 14 2004, 09:28 AM)
I saw Neil drop his stick twice, I think both times were in Red Barchetta, when he threw the stick up when the drums stopped for a moment and he just threw it too far and couldn't reach out and catch it.

I will check out Xanada.

I saw that at the Mountain View show during one song. He threw the stick in the air and failed to catch it. Oh well, I've seen him hit it dead on too biggrin.gif

Here is the answer to your question. I am almost positive this is where you are talking about - I synchronized the audio and video to see, but came up with around 5:07 and it does seem the fill is missing here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/missingfill.gif

OK ilistened to it and he definitly had no stick.

geddy does that cool bass fill and you hear it when neil is supoposed to hit the hi-hat 2x and then goes up the toms. the tom fill he does with one hand but it begins with the hi-hat thing cause he doesn't do that part correctly.

nice find paganoman

lol look at all the analysis in this thread! wow!

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 14 2004, 07:54 PM)
Here is the answer to your question. I am almost positive this is where you are talking about - I synchronized the audio and video to see, but came up with around 5:07 and it does seem the fill is missing here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/missingfill.gif

Lol, then what happens RR? And I cant hear it either.

looking at the vido RR it looks like neil gets a little extra "bounce" before he tosses it. but did he catch it? i'm guessing they cut to another band member and we can't see? still, that would explain the dropped stick...cause he throws it!

NICE

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 14 2004, 11:00 PM)
if you look closely neil is headed towards the hi-hat to do that hi-hat fill but he only needs one stick to do that. i guess he got distracted.

ok now that i'm listening to ESL who says the "1..2..3..4.." b4 FREEWILL?

Hey daveyt. Thanks for the kind word. smile.gif I listened to the 1-2-3-4 and I must make an educated guess for Neil. He's the timekeeper. lol - Geddy and Alex would be stealing his job if they did the count.

and BTW: Thanks so much to all you guys for looking into this whole thing. I've never seen the video, so it's very cool this was studied a bit. Thanks for putting the video clip in there.

I'm telling you.... YEARS I've had this in my head with no-one to ask. That's how sick I am. fing.gif

Ok, I maybe off base, because I am doing this from memory, are you talking about right after " frozen in an everlasting view" ? and instead of the normal tom fills ,he just keeps pounding the beat as if the fills never existed? If you are, then here is my take , and collected memory.

I went to the Hemisheres show. Xanadu played like the album. I went to the Permanent waves show. The segment I am talking about happened at that show, and for some reason it was a real crowd pleaser!..I guess because, instead of the pausing cumbersome tom fill, Neil just rocked right thru it.! I did not go to the Moving Pictures show, but when I heard ESL, I recognized the performance that I saw at the Permanent Waves show. smile.gif

Yeah at 5:02 on ESL he just misses the fill on the snare and goes straight into the tom fill. Nice to see the video as well though. Ahh, i'm in heaven! GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 15 2004, 03:40 AM)
Ok, I maybe off base, because I am doing this from memory, are you talking about right after " frozen in an everlasting view" ? and instead of the normal tom fills ,he just keeps pounding the beat as if the fills never existed? If you are, then here is my take , and collected memory.
I went to the Hemisheres show. Xanadu played like the album. I went to the Permanent waves show. The segment I am talking about happened at that show, and for some reason it was a real crowd pleaser!..I guess because, instead of the pausing cumbersome tom fill, Neil just rocked right thru it.! I did not go to the Moving Pictures show, but when I heard ESL, I recognized the performance that I saw at the Permanent Waves show. smile.gif

No, he is talking before the words start. Around 21:55 or so in the Video

Archived