UK with Bill Bruford

the masked drummer

R30 disc 2: Cool to hear Geddy talking about Bill Bruford on 1979 interview then Neil and Ged talking about seeing UK (with Bruford) in concert on 1980 interview. Ged seems to be mixed up on fact that Bill's band at the time was UK, not "Bill Bruford" solo. If anyone didn't know, UK was a great band who also featured Alan Holdsworth, Patrick Moraz and John Wetton. IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT was their debut CD (1979, I think), which is available on EG records catalog. Nice to know Rush was influenced by those guys. UK was half the 1970's King Crimson lineup as well... wink.gif

According to my copy, it's U.K. (from 1978) and it's a self-titled album. In the Dead of Night is the first track on it. I know they made at least one other album that I think wasn't supposed to be as good that I never bothered with. The s/t U.K. album is actually quite good progressive music - worth owning for sure - haven't played in a LOOOOONG time - must put it on!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2005, 03:46 PM)
According to my copy, it's U.K. (from 1978) and it's a self-titled album.  In the Dead of Night is the first track on it.  I know they made at least one other album that I think wasn't supposed to be as good that I never bothered with.  The s/t U.K. album is actually quite good progressive music - worth owning for sure - haven't played in a LOOOOONG time - must put it on!

trink39.gif

Correct. I listened to it again about a month ago, and enjoyed it as much as ever. "Presto Vivace And Reprise" just kills! Eddie Van Halen cites Allan Holdsworth's solo from "In The Dead Of Night" as a major influence on his playing. Eddie also mentioned Holdsworth's solo from a song called "Hell's Bells," which was on Bruford's second solo album One Of A Kind. If you're a fan of that UK album, One Of A Kind is a must own. Besides Bruford and Holdsworth, it features monster bassist Jeff Berlin.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000003S15.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

doh.gif I stand corrected, Goob. i was too lazy to pull the cd off the shelf and relied on my memory, which is good (but a little short wacko.gif )

Good stuff anyway, and nice to hear Rush went to their concert and cited them/Bruford as making great music. That was a surprise...

Yeah, UK are one my favourites as well! I love thir live album! Bill's drumming is fantastic! Nice to hear them mentioned by Rush members on R30, but actually as for Neil and Bill, they are completely different stories. I like Bill's style of playing better as it's a closer to jazz than Neil's, even in rock tracks. One of a Kind is also a great album, but what I'd also recommend for those who didn't hear is Feels Good to Me, and one of the greatest jazz albums I've ever heard-Random Acts of Happiness.

While we're on matters Bruford, I urge you to get B.L.U.E. - Bruford Levin Upper Extremities and their live album Blue Nights.

I second that Frouse, Random Acts of Happiness and Feel Good to Me are excellent.

Have you listened to Mr. Bruford's 2 albums with Patrick Moraz - Flags and Music for Piano & Drums?

Well worth checking out.

bekloppt.gif I'm glad to see anyone keen on Bruford's work. I have two albums by Upper Extremities: Nights and their studio record. Excellent, indeed! Bill, Tony plus Chris and the incredible David Torn make a really tremendous quartet! I wonder whether they are planning to record something new in that line-up.

As for Bruford's solo albums, apart from what you've mentioned, I have "If Summer Had Its Ghosts" featuring Ralph Towner and Eddie Gomez, Earthworks' "The Sound of Surprise" and double live cd "Footloose and Fancy Free", all of which contain very interesting stuff. "Random Acts...", however, is for me the most riveting Bruford's achievement so far!

Oh, I have one more cd by Earthworks, but I don't know the title of it. It starts with "Thud" and ends with fantastic "Bridges of Inhibition".

Currently hunting for DVD "Footloose..." 1287.gif

Archived