Raimi Shoots More For "Spider-Man 2.5"

Jack Aubrey

As mentioned before, Sony has plans to release a "Spider-Man 2.5" DVD, with additional action and effects scenes sometime next year, and director Sam Raimi told Sci-Fi Wire some details about why this is happening:

"I'm kind of completing scenes that I didn't have the money to complete when we did the movie. I mean, the movie really was the best I could make it. It's not like I think I could make it better. But I said, 'OK, well, if you want to spend money and really give the kids a few more action scenes, OK, that's fine.' It's the kids' choice if they want to spend that money. And then I think it's fair".

Most of the changes will only be minor additions - "There's like six seconds new of the train. There's going to be like eight seconds new of some water fight you never saw. There's like 12 seconds new on the Bugle building. For me, though, 12 seconds is six shots that all have to be figured out, and within that two seconds, the amount of animation of each of those tentacles and how Spidey's going to move. It's very complicated for me".

Still, Raimi is quite upfront about the reasons behind the disc - "Sony said to me, 'We want to release a 2.5,' because they want to make more money. It's just a

financial decision by the studio. They know that people who liked the second movie would want to own it as it is on DVD, and then it's just a gamble. 'Oh, if

we spend another four million dollars, can we make another ten million dollars?' I think that's how it works".