Alcohol - Always Tasted Terrible To Me

rushgoober

I applaud those of you who found the will and the wherewithal to curb excessive drinking, or quit entirely, and who found the courage to retell the story here. I have seen too many negative ramifications of excessive drinking.

I do like to have a good beer or two or a glass of wine or two on occasion, but I never was too interested in becoming inebriated. I think I always felt like I needed to be in control of myself, and having that extra drink scared me. And if I ever did, I'd invariably say or do something stupid. I was the one that did most of the driving, I guess.

And like Goob, I never got into the taste of a lot of alcoholic beverages, either. Hard liquor still is not appealing to me, though my wife used some bourbon to make a killer caramel pecan sauce at Thanksgiving. So it can work in cooking, as long as it's not overpowering.

I think this is like my third post in the Macallan section, ever. laugh.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hate to break up the party here but I had a few to many last night trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif laugh.gif I love my beer, especially when I am fishing or tying flies. I never "drink and drive" angry.gif that's a.. no.gif no.gif I can handle my drinking pretty well I have to admit, I know when to stop or say no. I guess the past has taught me alot yes.gif I do have times where I can go without drinking anything for a while but just being out on the stream and the outdoors in general I like my beer trink39.gif

As a 40 yr. old who has been drinking daily since the age of 16 with some breaks of years of months without drinking at all I feel I know where of I speak when I say that BOOZE RULEZZZ!!! trink38.gif

Seriously though I don't drink any more. Of course I don't drink any less either!!!! laugh.gif

Really now it's all about where your at and what you want in life. If you've got children by all means be a good example (in everything!) You are teaching them with every word and every act. You can kill yourself with drink or food or sex or a thousand other things. What's important is that you know yourself, your limits, what you want and where your going. As long as you're making your own way and not just floating downstream and you're happy, screw 'em!

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 29 2005, 10:21 PM)
...I never was too interested in becoming inebriated.  I think I always felt like I needed to be in control of myself, and having that extra drink scared me.  And if I ever did, I'd invariably say or do something stupid.  I was the one that did most of the driving, I guess.

That's my view exactly. I never got so wasted where I couldn't remember anything the next day. I never want to hear from someone, "Do you know what YOU did last night?" I always want to know on my own what I did (or didn't do).

I remember this one time, me and a friend were at a bar, and after some beers and shots, we decided to leave and go to another bar about ten minutes away. We were somewhat drunk, but I wouldn't say we were "wasted" -- we both thought we were okay enough to drive. We both had our own cars there, so we drove seperately. (Cue foreboding music.) I was following him, and he wasn't driving slow, so my impaired judgement told me I should keep up with him, even though I knew how to get to the place. Another car got between me and my friend's car, and my still-impaired judgement told me I should pass the slowpoke. That impaired judgement also didn't care that it was only one lane each way, and that maybe there could be a car coming the other way. Well, I made my move around Slowpoke, and I saw headlights in the distance. But that didn't faze me, and I continued in the oncoming lane and gunned it. As I passed Slowpoke and started to move back into my lane, I noticed that the oncoming car had to pull off onto the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision with me. I think I heard his horn blaring...

Just like that, I felt like I sobered right the f*ck up.

At this point, I was wired, alert, and sweating bullets. I was shaking. "Please tell me I didn't just do that!" What if that other driver wasn't as alert as they were? I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, so if there was a head-on collision... Or, what if that other driver was a cop?

I got to the bar in one piece, but I was still shaking a bit. My friend was waiting at the door of the bar, and when he saw me, he said, "What...?" I told him what happened. We stayed there for maybe a half hour, and we both drank nothing.

Again, I wasn't so wasted that I couldn't remember every detail of that incident. That was over 15 years ago. That was the second, maybe the third time I've ever been drunk. I haven't been drunk since. Why the hell would I want to?

i was in the backseat of a car when i was 15 and my mother was driving. a drunk driver hit us head on. if my mother wasn't wearing her seatbelt she would have died - as it was she had some broken bones and i had a broken wrist - that drunk driving is serious life threatening stuff...

Three women had a very late night drinking. They left in the early morning hours and went home their separate ways.

The next day, they all met and compared notes about who was drunker the night before. The first girl claims that she was the drunkest, saying, "I drove straight home and walked into the house. As soon as I got through the door, I blew chunks."

The second said, "You think that was drunk? Hell, I got into my car and wrapped my car around the first tree I saw. I don't even have insurance!"

The third proclaimed, "Damn, I was the drunkest by far. When I got home, I got into a big fight with my husband, knocked a candle over, and burned the whole house down!"

The room was silent for a moment. Then, the first girl spoke out again, "Listen girls, I don't think you understand. Chunks is my dog."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2005, 05:06 AM)
Three women had a very late night drinking. They left in the early morning hours and went home their separate ways.

The next day, they all met and compared notes about who was drunker the night before. The first girl claims that she was the drunkest, saying, "I drove straight home and walked into the house. As soon as I got through the door, I blew chunks."

The second said, "You think that was drunk? Hell, I got into my car and wrapped my car around the first tree I saw. I don't even have insurance!"

The third proclaimed, "Damn, I was the drunkest by far. When I got home, I got into a big fight with my husband, knocked a candle over, and burned the whole house down!"

The room was silent for a moment. Then, the first girl spoke out again, "Listen girls, I don't think you understand. Chunks is my dog."

omg icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 29 2005, 08:21 PM)
I never was too interested in becoming inebriated. I think I always felt like I needed to be in control of myself, and having that extra drink scared me. And if I ever did, I'd invariably say or do something stupid. I was the one that did most of the driving, I guess.

Thats the same with me

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 30 2005, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2005, 05:06 AM)

omg icon_really_happy_guy.gif

ohmy.gif

z7shysterical.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2005, 01:06 AM)

Damn.. now that's drunk!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2005, 01:24 PM)
Shortly after that I kind of had an epiphany and decided I didn't want to use any kind of mind altering substances anymore and I gave up drugs and alcohol completely, the latter obviously not being a hardship.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Does best Bluto imitation (from Animal House -- classic movie) by crushing beer can against forehead and wailing in disbelief*

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2005, 04:06 AM)

rofl3.gif

Hey, as the night (and alcohol) takes hold, one can do things one would never have imagined possible in a sober moment.

The next morning is just a matter of 1) being abhorred by one's activities or 2) rolling with it, chalking it up to just another of life's many and varied interesting possible experiences.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 27 2005, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 27 2005, 11:42 AM)
It's all about moderation and being responsible yes.gif

yes.gif

It's no secret that I like a good beer, and I drink them simply because they taste good. One beer a night, maybe three nights a week. Two nights in a row is uncommon for me. And every once in a while, a small glass of wine at my sister's house (her and her hubby know their wine, and it's fun to sample).

It's extremely rare that I have more than one beer in one sitting. If I do, it's usually at a party, and the most I'll drink is two beers, and maybe a couple of shots of tequila. That isn't enough to give me more than a mild buzz, and that's how I like it. In fact, I've been "drunk" maybe twice in my life, and not once in the last 15 years or so. I take no pleasure in being drunk -- it does NOT feel good to me. It's more fun watching others stumble around! laugh.gif That's just me...there are people who can handle a lot of alcohol and like to get drunk, and I have no problem with that, as long as they don't drive.

I KNEW IT!

YOU IMPOSTER WIMP!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 27 2005, 11:42 AM)
It's all about moderation and being responsible yes.gif

What a bunch of crap.

Look, wrap your brains around this little conundrum: "moderation" at all times is NOT true "moderation" at all, but rather a very extreme form of behavior.

The true essence of moderation is to get a medium degree experience from life -- and that INCLUDES going all out hog wild from time to time, balanced against much more docile times, to get a true range of experience.

It does NOT mean maintaining the same dull unvaried state of existence at all times.

1287.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 27 2005, 08:27 PM)
I'm with you guys. For the last 12 years I only drink about 12 beers and 10 shots of whiskey a night. Granted there's long periods of getting shot at while only allowed the comfort of foreign whiskey. But whiskey it is.

I only drink about 3 times a week, like #73, except on vacation. But that's only like 6 times a year. I've only gotten drunk like 2, 112 times.

MY MAN!!!!!!

trink36.gif

To go against the grain of most of the posts in this thread:

I am almost 40 years old, and just recently reached the conclusion that I haven't been wild enough so far in my life, with the related determination that I shall correct this problem. Being recently divorced is a factor in this revelation, freeing me up to explore degrees of irresponsible wildness that were not an option during the many years of my marriage.

That said, I do agree with Goob's original point, that whatever a person does (however lesser or greater the degree) is their own business (with the caveat that they shouldn't hurt others in the process).

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

I actually like the taste of most alcoholic beverages.. That's proves trouble for me at times..

I started drinking beer at age 14. College was pretty bad, I was drunk all the time. When I got married, I quit for about 5 years.. Stone cold quit, didn't drink a beer for 5 YEARS!! Then, for whatever reason, I started to get the urge again. Maybe it was 5 years of being married, maybe it was the stress of 4 pregnancies in 5 years..(my wife) I don't know.. And maybe I just missed drinking.. I've always liked drinking. I have to admit I like the feeling of being "tipsy".. Now, I really don't like being drunk. So I have to be very careful. Up to the age of 35, all I really ever drank was beer.. But in the past few years, I've discovered things like Scotch, Gin, Tequila, etc... Now I have to be even MORE careful because that shit can mess you up... So, while I admit to getting too "drunk" on occation (I'm a nice drunk, I don't get belligerent, I generally just want to go to sleep.. and when I puke I always make it to the toilet.. well, almost always...) I really don't like being drunk.. But I like to drink. So you can see my dilemma

Wow, maybe I was a bit too honest here... You all probably think I'm a raging alcohalic now..

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 30 2005, 07:57 PM)
IWow, maybe I was a bit too honest here... You all probably think I'm a raging alcohalic now..

I would have more respect for you if you were a raging alcoholic.

I have nothing but contempt for people who are merely raging alcohalics.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 30 2005, 07:57 PM)
Up to the age of 35, all I really ever drank was beer.. But in the past few years, I've discovered things like Scotch, Gin, Tequila, etc...

The chief drawback of beer drinking, as opposed to other forms of alcohol, is the weight gain (i.e. beergut) factor.

Since 1001001 inspired me to indulge in this recent exploration of the world of beer, I have gained about 20 pounds.

Methinks it may be high time to revert back to wine and/or liquor as the drink of choice.

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Nov 30 2005, 09:14 PM)
The chief drawback of beer drinking, as opposed to other forms of alcohol, is the weight gain (i.e. beergut) factor.

Since 1001001 inspired me to indulge in this recent exploration of the world of beer, I have gained about 20 pounds.

Sure, blame it on me! laugh.gif

I'm sure you weren't complaining in that hotel room after the beer excursion! common001.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Nov 30 2005, 09:14 PM)

Sure, blame it on me! laugh.gif

I'm sure you weren't complaining in that hotel room after the beer excursion! common001.gif

No, that I wasn't.

biggrin.gif

Btw: I was talking about the last 6 months or so, since I got inspired with beer exploration by this forum.

I have really broadened my beer horizons since then. Hell, i used to think that Killians Red and Corona were good beers. What a long way I have come in such a short time . . .

Yes, i am serious. Used to be more of a wine and liquor guy before then.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

nothing like a nice chewy red wine, though. i've quaffed a few red bottles more than brews lately....we've all switchem them gears before.

so is everyone saving their money so we can swill a the next RUSH TOUR? i know in cali, i was very liberal with the corona purchases at a few shows. hell, i was even more liberal at a few others yes.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Nov 30 2005, 10:07 PM)
nothing like a nice chewy red wine, though. i've quaffed a few red bottles more than brews lately....we've all switchem them gears before.

so is everyone saving their money so we can swill a the next RUSH TOUR? i know in cali, i was very liberal with the corona purchases at a few shows. hell, i was even more liberal at a few others yes.gif

Cali is too far.

I say we meet somewhere in the middle.

Have a nice grand Rush orgy or something, in the heartland.