Alcohol - Always Tasted Terrible To Me

rushgoober

When I was somewhere between 8 and 10 I have a vague memory of trying a sip of beer at a friends house and it was totally disgusting tasting. When I was 14, I was staying at a youth hostel in London that had a bar in the basement that didnt' card. A friend of mine ordered us a couple of pints of (I think) Heineken. I remember when I put the liquid to my lips there were two distinct separate flavors, both of which were horrible, and I literally almost threw up just at the smell and taste of it (not even a sip). My next flirtation with alcohol was at age 17, 2 years after I'd discovered marijuana and other assorted psychedelic drugs. I was with some friends at a restaurant and I tried a mixed drink. It was way strong, but somehow the juice or whatever it was mixed with it made it just bearable. I had about half of a small glass before I couldn't handle anymore.

Shortly after that I kind of had an epiphany and decided I didn't want to use any kind of mind altering substances anymore and I gave up drugs and alcohol completely, the latter obviously not being a hardship.

To me beer and alcohol in general always seemed when growing up something that most kids thought tasted vile, but they forced themselves to keep drinking until they could stand it or grew to like it if for no other reason than to be cool at parties. I never could get past the taste to make that worth my while. I guess I kind of did that with smoking pot - of course I gagged horribly the first couple/few times I tried it until I got into it, but I don't think I was trying to be cool so much as I wanted to know what it was like to get stoned. Of course once I did know, I was hooked (for a little while).

Anyway, I know a lot of kids are brought up with tasting wine at the table and get used to alcohol that way, but my parents almost never drank anything. I'm glad I didn't get hooked early on because if I was as fanatical about it as I was with drugs for a little while, it would NOT have been good.

Ok, so please, please, PLEASE believe me sincerely when I say I'm not judging anyone for drinking or doing drugs or anything, and that is NOT the intention of this thread. I find it extremely foreign to me when people talk at length about their favorite drinks, but that's just what it is. Anyway, just sharing my experience/perspective...

This should be interesting. tongue.gif

ph34r.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am quite happy not drinking alcohol. I used to drink beer (bitter) but I don't miss it, so I don't drink it.

My mother was killed by the stuff.

I go for months at a time not drinking. It was an important part of my social life when I was a single bloke out every night. I hardly remember the 80s.

Now I rarely go to the pub and just drink at home.

I don't think i'll ever give it up completely but my comsumption has fallen dramatically over the past five years or so.

When i was younger, on the holidays i would be alowd a small glass of wine, or a sip or two of my dads beer. Now that im 19 my parents dont mind if i have a beer with my dad, or a glass of wine with my mom.

From the storys my dad told me when he was a kid, he kinda cant say "your not alowd to taste the stuff till your 21" because he told me storys when he was my age and getting case of Black Label beer or what ever was cheep, and would go driving around in his sister Mustang.

I am in no way an alacholic or anything along those lines, but i do occasionlly drink when AT HOME, i never drink at a friends house unless im staying the night and their parents are cool with it. (usually never, but certain occasions)

Im not the A typical 19 year old who plans on going to all the partys and getting totally smashed, thats not me. Ive seen 4 people die who went to the same high school as me, either after they graduate or are still in school.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 22 2005, 01:27 PM)
I am quite happy not drinking alcohol. I used to drink beer (bitter) but I don't miss it, so I don't drink it.

What do you do when you're watching sports? (Besides activities that involve scratching.)

QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 22 2005, 08:03 PM)

What do you do when you're watching sports? (Besides activities that involve scratching.)

You need booze to watch sports? unsure.gif I thought you watched with your eyes tongue.gif

You need booze to watch sports?

you do to watch my teams

angry.gif

QUOTE (plodder @ Nov 22 2005, 02:52 PM)
You need booze to watch sports?

you do to watch my teams

angry.gif

HAHAH I hear ya there......Trust me I know where you are comming from.....Between the 49ers, Raptors, Blue Jays and the Blackhawks, I think thats enough to drive any man to drink

like you goob: i spent my late teens, early 20's experimenting ..but it was pretty much everything...including alcohol....

like you rickyrob: my mother and my ex husband are both dead because of alcohol.....

like you plodder: i barely remember the 80's... and i barely drink at all anymore now....

usually social gatherings....

QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 22 2005, 03:03 PM)

How wings and a doobie. If I am thirsty I drink soda or tea, my choice.

Oh, you wasn't asking me? WELL EXCUSEEEEE ME. lol

QUOTE (slacker @ Nov 27 2005, 12:26 AM)
I love Beer... I don't drink nothing like i use to, but i still have my moments trink39.gif

You don't drink nothing? I dont drink nothing when I am really thirsty. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 27 2005, 11:42 AM)
It's all about moderation and being responsible yes.gif

yes.gif

It's no secret that I like a good beer, and I drink them simply because they taste good. One beer a night, maybe three nights a week. Two nights in a row is uncommon for me. And every once in a while, a small glass of wine at my sister's house (her and her hubby know their wine, and it's fun to sample).

It's extremely rare that I have more than one beer in one sitting. If I do, it's usually at a party, and the most I'll drink is two beers, and maybe a couple of shots of tequila. That isn't enough to give me more than a mild buzz, and that's how I like it. In fact, I've been "drunk" maybe twice in my life, and not once in the last 15 years or so. I take no pleasure in being drunk -- it does NOT feel good to me. It's more fun watching others stumble around! laugh.gif That's just me...there are people who can handle a lot of alcohol and like to get drunk, and I have no problem with that, as long as they don't drive.

I'm with you guys. For the last 12 years I only drink about 12 beers and 10 shots of whiskey a night. Granted there's long periods of getting shot at while only allowed the comfort of foreign whiskey. But whiskey it is.

I only drink about 3 times a week, like #73, except on vacation. But that's only like 6 times a year. I've only gotten drunk like 2, 112 times.

QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 27 2005, 08:27 PM)
I'm with you guys. For the last 12 years I only drink about 12 beers and 10 shots of whiskey a night. Granted there's long periods of getting shot at while only allowed the comfort of foreign whiskey. But whiskey it is.

I only drink about 3 times a week, like #73, except on vacation. But that's only like 6 times a year. I've only gotten drunk like 2, 112 times.

goodpost.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 27 2005, 08:27 PM)

laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 27 2005, 01:05 PM)

yes.gif

It's no secret that I like a good beer, and I drink them simply because they taste good. One beer a night, maybe three nights a week. Two nights in a row is uncommon for me. And every once in a while, a small glass of wine at my sister's house (her and her hubby know their wine, and it's fun to sample).

It's extremely rare that I have more than one beer in one sitting. If I do, it's usually at a party, and the most I'll drink is two beers, and maybe a couple of shots of tequila. That isn't enough to give me more than a mild buzz, and that's how I like it. In fact, I've been "drunk" maybe twice in my life, and not once in the last 15 years or so. I take no pleasure in being drunk -- it does NOT feel good to me. It's more fun watching others stumble around! laugh.gif That's just me...there are people who can handle a lot of alcohol and like to get drunk, and I have no problem with that, as long as they don't drive.

I'm the same way nowadays. There was a time when I was getting drunk every night and I was moving into alcoholic territory. Thank God I learned to control it. Two beers, two glasses of wine, or two drinks is my absolute inviolable limit.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 27 2005, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 27 2005, 01:05 PM)

yes.gif

I'm the same way nowadays. There was a time when I was getting drunk every night and I was moving into alcoholic territory. Thank God I learned to control it. Two beers, two glasses of wine, or two drinks is my absolute inviolable limit.

Same here. Plus isn't it nice to cop a slight buzz on a couple beers instead of drinking a 12 pack just to feel normal LOL.

I mean people can drink all they want, I can't judge people for that. But it is nice to drink a couple cold ones and have that feel good effect. I am sorry, I admit, when I crack open a beer, it's for the buzz, I aint gonna lie. If I drink over 5 times in a year anymore then thats a lot for me.

Back in the day I would pound the shit like they was gonna quit making it the next day. It took years to realize that getting loaded wasn't really feeling good at all, it was more covering up my problems than feeling good. Now I slam a couple cold ones and I can truly say that that's feeling good. A lot better then when I slammed a case thats for sure. LOL.

Live and learn!!! trink38.gif