Neil's Snare

steve5

In the different tour books I have read they state that Neil has used a 5 x 13, 5 x 14, and a 5.5 x 14 Slingerland snare he calls "Old Faithful" or "Number 1". On his Work in Progress dvd, Neil actually says it is a 5 x 13. My question then becomes what model of Slingerland is it... an Artist, a Radio King, or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you might imagine the Rush Archive and Rush contact e-mails have been no help. I know they have better things to do!

Hoping to end my quest for the perfect snare...

steve6

I found this ......

Rush Tour

Neil's kit for this tour was a Slingerland kit in chrome finish. The kit consisted of two 13x9 toms, one 14x10 tom, a 16x16 floor tom, and two 22x14 bass drums. His snare was a 14x5.5 secondhand Slingerland Artist snare drum that would remain in his subsequent kits for the next twenty-plus years. Another thing that would also remain constant in his kit were Zildjian cymbals. This outfit consisted of 16", 18", and 20" A Crashes, a 22" Ping Ride (also a constant in future kits), a pair of 13" New Beat Hi-Hats (ditto), and two splashes, 6" and 8".

biggrin.gif

Edited by o baterista

QUOTE (o baterista @ Nov 19 2004, 07:23 PM)
I found this ......
Rush Tour
Neil's kit for this tour was a Slingerland kit in chrome finish. The kit consisted of two 13x9 toms, one 14x10 tom, a 16x16 floor tom, and two 22x14 bass drums. His snare was a 14x5.5 secondhand Slingerland Artist snare drum that would remain in his subsequent kits for the next twenty-plus years. Another thing that would also remain constant in his kit were Zildjian cymbals. This outfit consisted of 16", 18", and 20" A Crashes, a 22" Ping Ride (also a constant in future kits), a pair of 13" New Beat Hi-Hats (ditto), and two splashes, 6" and 8".

biggrin.gif

Good find! NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 20 2004, 04:15 PM)
The new Neil Peart snare drum is AMAZING. I want to get one SO bad. It's a thing of beauty.

I concur....its a thing of beauty.....except for money.. sad.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Nov 21 2004, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 21 2004, 05:23 AM)
It is a beauty:
http://www.dwdrums.com/info/images/news/Neil-Peart-Snare.jpg

Oh my god...............ohmy.gif

...that is so beautiful.

drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

oooooh yeah baby. Too bad I won't have the money for a few years laugh.gif But still, it's something worth drooling over yes.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 21 2004, 05:59 PM)
Too bad that one drum costs just as much as a beginner kit...

It probably costs more than that. I saw the price online and it said that it retails for around $1,500. I have seen some pretty decent Pearl sets for around $800. I don't know if that price is correct for the Neil Peart snare, but that's what I read.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 21 2004, 06:20 PM)

It probably costs more than that. I saw the price online and it said that it retails for around $1,500. I have seen some pretty decent Pearl sets for around $800. I don't know if that price is correct for the Neil Peart snare, but that's what I read.

the stores around me have her listed for $500.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 21 2004, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 21 2004, 06:20 PM)

the stores around me have her listed for $500.

Really? Wow, that's awesome. Maybe I saw the estimated price, and they dropped it since the release. I'll have to come over by your place and buy one of them when I save up the dough laugh.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Nov 21 2004, 06:30 PM)
I can't get over it. The Golden plated snare with the Starman is so sweet! 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I know what you mean. When I first saw it, I didn't get off the site for like 5 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to save up some money and buy one for myself. I'm sure it sounds AMAZING.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 21 2004, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (yyz @ Nov 21 2004, 06:30 PM)
I can't get over it. The Golden plated snare with the Starman is so sweet! 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I know what you mean. When I first saw it, I didn't get off the site for like 5 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to save up some money and buy one for myself. I'm sure it sounds AMAZING.

Oh hell yea man! 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

http://www.drummagazine.com/imagesmain/news0904dwpeart.jpg

It won't help you through all those crazy "Tom Sawyer" fills, but DW's Neil Peart Edge snare drum will have you celebrating Rush's 30th anniversary in "mean mean pride" style. The drum, which retails for $1,535, features a Black Mirra Flake Lacquer Specialty finish with the band's famous "Starman" logo, 24-karat gold-plated hardware, and the company's new Delta ball-bearing throw-off.

www.drummagazine.com

Anyone noticed that Neil's snare doesn't sound as tight on Different Stages? It sounds deep and loose. I like his Moving Pictures era snare the best. I'm not a drummer though. Your thoughts?