• the begining of Cygnus X-1
    • La Villa Strangiato
    • YYZ
    • Where is my thing?
    • Leave that thing alone
    • Limbo
    • O Basteriata

Limbo by far.

But I'm trying to get back in to the Main Monkey Business. I think its Geddy's "doo-doo-doo" vocals that kind of ruin it. It is a very beautiful song and Alex's reprise of the main theme during the solo really brings that out. Geddy uses those same vocal effects on the slower parts of Freeze and it just works better there. Here they're very panned and processed and just sound annoying.

Alex's guitar instrumentation though is amazing. This is what keeps the song together. I'm trying my hardest to like this song again. And probably just focus on the aspect of the lead guitar break and ignore everything else. And another thing. When you listen to this song, it puts you in a good mood but when you're super angry and having a bad day, you just hate it. It seems like a lot of songs I kind of have this problem, especially upbeat ones like Territorries and Marathon. But thats an issue to discuss another day.

Edited by quickfree

La Villa for sure and btw NICE SPELLING!!!!!!!

Limbo is just plain awesome. The bass is killer (as usual. haha).

And why is O' Baterista up there, yes, it is an instrumental, but isn't there already a "Favorite Drum Solo" thread? If that's there the others should be as well. IMO...

Cygnus X-1 because it's my favourite beginning bassline, as well as the first ever instrumental I learned on my bass. It's just a fantastic song. Love the energy in it. For being on Hemispheres is great!

Hemispheres Prelude for me.

It's the only one on this list I can play on bass effortlessly. Everything else just fights back relentlessly. xP

LIMBO

it sounds like a musical remake of purgatory

oh yeah, o baterista is just 1 of the rythem method there is also de slagwerker(from S&A) Love 4 sale ( time machine)

"La Villa Strangiato" has my pick. It's so incredibly complex, as the entirety of the Hemispheres album is, and always amazing to see performed live. Especially the Rush in Rio version. Crazy Alex. laugh.gif

Neil: Mr. Milton Banana

Geddy: That Guy From Ipanema

Alex: Stan Getz

rofl3.gif

Anyway...as Jakk Wylde of Black Label Society said in Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage: "When you listen to early Rush, it seems like the riffs were simpler. It got more complex as they kept going. The arrangements would be so long. The boys would be up there going, 'We did write this, didn't we? What part of the song are we in?!'" Well said, sir. tongue.gif

Neil's Drum Solo from the VT tour. Sometimes I wonder if that man is really human.

If I had to choose an actual Rush song though, I'd go with La Villa Strangiato.

QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 20 2005, 05:22 PM)
la villa strangiato. its full on godly yes.gif

leave that thing alone and limbo after that i think

I have to agree on all counts. LTTA is cool and has so many different musical elements in it, but la Villa is just pure chewing satisfaction.

Truly, La Villa is the most stunning bit of music I have ever heard from a rock band. If the studio version won't trip your trigger, the version from ESL is absolutely other worldly.