not a popular name here?

Tick

why is the name mike portnoy not welcome here?is it something he said.its not like he has any thing to do with neil.i dont get it.i like dream theater alot. please help me out here. unsure.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 19 2005, 06:49 PM)
why is the name mike portnoy not welcome here?is it something he said.its not like he has any thing to do with neil.i dont get it.i like dream theater alot. please help me out here. unsure.gif

I'm a Dream Theater fan also, but Mike Portnoy has an ego bigger then North America wacko.gif but I think you have to respect his playing. He is a good drummer bolt.gif

I have no problem with him and wouldn't mind for him to lay down some drum tracks for one of my projects.

Hey Mike, if you are reading this give me a call mofo.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 19 2005, 08:16 PM)
I consider Portnoy the second greatest durmmer alive.

Danny Carey, Dennis Chambers, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta, Alex Acuna, Alex Holzworth, and even Casey Grillo are some of many I'd consider better than Portnoy.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 19 2005, 06:49 PM)

It is welcome here and there are plenty of DT/Portnoy fans in the forum, myself included. Some members of this forum are avid DT/Portnoy haters but it is to be expected. I think Mike Portnoy is one of the better drummers in this era and I for one enjoy his drumming with DT/LTE, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, and the new G3.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 19 2005, 10:12 PM)

Danny Carey, Dennis Chambers, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta, Alex Acuna, Alex Holzworth, and even Casey Grillo are some of many I'd consider better than Portnoy.

Jon Theodore as well...

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 19 2005, 11:57 PM)

Jon Theodore as well...

That's why I said some of many...

Jon Theodore as well...

What about Phil Rudd or the dude for The Tragically Hip rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Nov 20 2005, 12:08 AM)

Jon Theodore as well...

What about Phil Rudd or the dude for The Tragically Hip rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Nah, I'll give Portnoy over Rudd...

After reading some backthreads, I have jumped to the conclusion that people here are convinced that DT has no "soul"... I really don't get hoe you measure "soul", but if it's anything like passion, then songs like A Change of Seasons, Another Day, Hollow Years, Learning to Live, Pull me Under, Surrounded, and Wait for Sleep; then I'd say DT has plenty of soul to go around!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 19 2005, 08:58 PM)
Ken is that you in the pic or someone else?

The guy in pic? That's Mike Portnoy, the dude we're talking about here. He's the drummer for Dream Theater, which is a band of guys that are all extremely talented musicians. Mike, like Neil Peart, swept the Modern Drummer readers polls so many times that he was put on their hall of fame so others have a chance to win. I met Mike and talked at great length with him about drums and music. He is an extremely focused individual and comes off as being as down-to-earth as you can possibly imagine, especially considering his accomplishments. It's sad people dog him and dream theater out on this post a lot. Dream Theater has done extremely well for a band that never sold out and has had almost no radio airplay. I guess my point is I wish peeps would open their minds a little and at least "accept" Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy for who they are and their genuine commitment to write and play original music that is different and interesting compared to most bands in the hard/progressive rock genre. I think peeps rip on Dream Theater because they're a little hard to listen to if you're not a musician, due to it's complexity. Good, bad or indifferent, that's my opinion. If you think Dream Theater sucks, you have the right to your opinion, too. I just wish there was less negativity about other bands mentioned on this forum besides Rush. It reminds me of my high school days when I stood up and fought tooth and nail for Rush when people dissed them and bragged about bands like Van Halen saying Rush has no talent and their vocals suck. I would even go so far as to wach my Rush jersey 3 times a week so I could wear it more in support of Rush-LOL 2.gif 2.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Nov 20 2005, 04:13 AM)
I guess my point is I wish peeps would open their minds a little and at least "accept" Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy for who they are and their genuine commitment to write and play original music that is different and interesting compared to most bands in the hard/progressive rock genre.

yes.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Nov 20 2005, 04:13 AM)
I guess my point is I wish peeps would open their minds a little and at least "accept" Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy for who they are and their genuine commitment to write and play original music that is different and interesting compared to most bands in the hard/progressive rock genre.

We have. Doesn't mean we're gonna like them.

I'm not really that familiar with their music. Of the songs I've heard I can either take or leave. It's not bad music but it doesn't thrill me.

Archived