stuff i dig!

Tick

i am a huge fan of rush as im sure you all are,but i want to know who digs some of the stuff i love.my currant favorites are as follows.marillion,love these guys! dreamtheater,kick ass prog,if you love neil check out mike portnoy!also an old favorite is kansas,steve walsh,awesome vocals! im a singer by the way.i dig lots of other stuff but for this conversation im talking progressive.who else is on the same page? 653.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 19 2005, 10:30 AM)
Welcome, tick!

I agree, Steve Walsh is a great vocalist. There aren't too many Portnoy fans here, though.  laugh.gif  Are you into Jane's Addiction at all?

They're a great band.

user posted image

I'm trying to figure out if they, or at least Perry Farrell has anything to do with the theme to Entourage.

Welcome!

Anybody know where I can get a bitchin' glowing suit like that?

Chernobyl?

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2005, 04:27 PM)
i am a huge fan of rush as im sure you all are,but i want to know who digs some of the stuff i love.my currant favorites are as follows.marillion,love these guys! dreamtheater,kick ass prog,if you love neil check out mike portnoy!also an old favorite is kansas,steve walsh,awesome vocals! im a singer by the way.i dig lots of other stuff but for this conversation im talking progressive.who else is on the same page? 653.gif

dream theater is up there with rush as one of my fav bands of all time, but it seems like almost nobody here likes them.

they keep accusing them of being "soul-less" but i think they've got plenty of soul.

it's probably just cuz they play fast all the time. i get fricken sick of people always accusing the "fast" bands of being soul-less. maybe it doesn't take a crap load of "soul" to shred but it still takes a lot of time and practice and talent to do those solos (not to mention write them) and i think it's very impressive, and they have plenty of slower, more "soul-ful" stuff. so what if big parts of a lot of the songs are shred solos? it's not like shredding's all they do, they write tons of wicked awesome progressive riffs and stuff too and some of their songs have slower solos too, which are also awesome.

and the singer is amazing! i know someone's gonna disagree with me here cuz i've heard people here accuse james of being a sucky singer or like i duno "not the best" or something like that but that's just stupid cuz he has such an awesome voice! and he can go so high! like high F i think it is in Strange Deja-vu

and of course yes Mike Portnoy is insane. he's my next favorite drummer after Neil Peart. even if they don't like dream theater i think everybody here should at least respect mike portnoy for bein an awesome drummer.

not really a whole lot into the other bands you mentioned. i should get into Kansas though.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2005, 04:27 PM)

Rush and Kansas,neck and neck through the 70's for me.Rush pulled ahead through the 80's due in part to their consistency,but I have always kept up on the different Kansas configurations since. Most notably would be:

Somewhere to Elsewhere-Kansas

Glossolalia and Shadowman-Steve Walsh

Before came After-Kerry Livgrens' Proto-Kaw

The band,Under The Sun, with their self titled release struck me as a band with Rush/Kansas infuences

Archived