Is my musical taste really THAT off the norm?

rushgoober

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 20 2005, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2005, 10:38 AM)
D-13, for what it's worth, please forgive me using Heart as an example as it was really only an example of groups that I personally don't understand having enormous popularity here as opposed to groups that I think deserve at least that level of popularity but have FAR less.  As I said previously, if you and if anyone enjoys music that I don't get, I'd be the last person to tell you you're wrong or to stop listening.  If it does it for you, great.  I just don't get most people's musical tastes in general and was seeing if there were others like me who felt like they were pretty much alone in their tastes on TRF outside of a shared love of Rush.  Sorry if my intense opinions offended your or anyone else.  I'm not apologizing for having my views so much as I apologize if I offended anyone who can't relate to my point of view.  Anyway...

Peace,
Gary

Don't apologize my friend! laugh.gif

It's your opinion! Like what BSG said... I don't care what people think of what bands are good or what you listen to. biggrin.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Ann Wilson is the greatest female singer, PERIOD! To Hell with Mariah Carey or any of those eMptyTV dumbkuffs. Ann's singing voice is superb. Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen and Dog and Butterfly were three classic albums and are classics in the rock and roll pantheon! Nancy Wilson, one of the greatest rhythm guitarists out there. Shame original lead guitarist Roger Fisher had to destroy the original Heart lineup with his infamous 1979 on-stage temper tantrum where he smashed his guitar then went off on the warpath after a gig! Some of the 80s Heart stuff was pale when compared to the 1970s Heart stuff but still better than any crap out today!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a child(January 24, 1976 to January 24, 1989), I mainly was growing up on music like Pink Floyd(listened to since I was born), The Eagles(listened to since I was born), The Who(listened to since I was 10 in late 1986), Rolling Stones(listened to since I was born), Van Halen(listened to since I was 6), AC/DC(listened to since I was 5), Iron Maiden(listened to since I was 12), KISS, Led Zeppelin(listened to since I was born), Bruce Springsteen, The Police, Bob Seger, Journey, Styx, The Doors, Bad Company, Ozzy Osbourne(his Bark at the Moon album converted me to hard rock fiend and I literally threw my Duran Duran and Men at Work tapes in the trash after hearing Bark at the Moon at age 7), Black Sabbath, Billy Squier, The Cars, Foreigner and the odd Rush album here and there.

In my teens(January 24, 1989 to January 24, 1996), I got heavily more into Rush plus I got into Queen in 1990, Megadeth, Queensryche, Black Sabbath's post-Ozzy output, Deep Purple, Rainbow, more of The Beatles catalog and Peter Frampton.

Since I became an adult(January 24, 1996 onwards), I still stuck with groups from childhood and teen years plus got into Yes, ELP, Genesis, Triumph, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Radiohead, The Darkness and punk like The Ramones, The Clash and so forth.

My taste in music runs the gamut of known and obscure. I'm one who has actively pursued quality music. Some of the bands i followed from the beginning of there career's went on to be highly successful(R.E.M. The Alarm for a brief time anyway! ) And U2 who i first seen at the Cleveland Agora back in December of 1981 still have ticket stubb. Others faded Green on Red, Cactus World News,Hot House Flowers others i can't think of at this moment. And bands in rushgoober's time frame (Lucifiers friend,Blood Rock,MC5 BLUE CHEER btw they also had other songs beside there cover of Summer time blues,Peace of Mind,Out of Focus very good. The problem i have with certain people is they refuse to give any other music a chance. For example I seen Bob Dylan back in the middle eighties and The Alarm opened for him well the old hippie stoners booed during there entire set. CLOSED MINDED angry.gif

The point being the music I'm into does have merit and worth it's a personal thing. And I don't need anyone else to follow the highly selective standards I set for myself. To each his (her) own roam!!!

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 17 2005, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 17 2005, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 17 2005, 12:08 PM)
I dunno, I don't get it.  Maybe it's just plain old weird that I'm a Rush fan considering the following.  Threads I started on this forum:

Here are some websites for you that may elicit more responses trink39.gif

Grateful Dead - 16 responses
Joni Mitchell - 10 responses
Captain Beefheart - 7 responses
The Kinks - 6 responses
King Crimson - 3 responses
Procol Harum - 1 response

While I appreciate it, my main point was a group like Heart gets more of a response than all these groups put together, and to me they're nowhere in the same league, or even in the same sport as these groups... IMHO, of course... ph34r.gif

Well bro, I guess the tribe has spoken then. Heart is more of a hot topic than the other bands you mentioned... confused13.gif

A tribe of coked up Rush/Heart fans

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

(BTW, I'm not a member of that tribe.)

laugh.gif Guess thats me.... 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 12 2005, 12:13 PM)
I dunno, I don't get it.  Maybe it's just plain old weird that I'm a Rush fan considering the following.  Threads I started on this forum:

The Kinks - 6 responses

While I appreciate it, my main point was a group like Heart gets more of a response than all these groups put together, and to me they're nowhere in the same league, or even in the same sport as these groups... IMHO, of course... ph34r.gif

Well bro, I guess the tribe has spoken then. Heart is more of a hot topic than the other bands you mentioned... confused13.gif

D-13 isnt coked up, shes pepsi'd up

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 12 2005, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 12 2005, 12:13 PM)

The Kinks - 6 responses

D-13 isnt coked up, shes pepsi'd up

trink36.gif

that made my day! laugh.gif

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 20 2005, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 19 2005, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 18 2005, 06:50 PM)
My tastes are not the norm at all for a Rush fan. My 2 favorite bands besides Rush are Janes Addiction and Bauhaus. There arent too many hardcore Rush fans that love those 2 bands. I am not into Prog, not a big U2 fan, I dont like Nightwish, Porcupine Tree or any of those. All of my favorite bands are mostly alternative. Though I do enjoy classic Rock I dont listen to that as much as many on here.

Damn fine taste in music Pixey!! Damn fine!

trink39.gif

TY Dweez! trink39.gif

Jane's Addiction rocks!!

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 15 2005, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 14 2005, 04:43 PM)
gratefull dead,thats like the anti rush!

huh confused13.gif

what i mean is i dont think most rush fans like the dead.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 15 2005, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 15 2005, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 14 2005, 04:43 PM)
gratefull dead,thats like the anti rush!

huh confused13.gif

what i mean is i dont think most rush fans like the dead.

well that might very well be true, but i wouldn't say they're "anti" rush or the polar opposites or anything.

in terms of live concerts, the two couldn't be more different. rush for the most part played a concrete set list for entire tours where the grateful dead played a different set list every night, went off on long jams and tangents and were generally really loose, where rush are much tighter and stick to the songs the same way each time for the most part.

in my psychedelic music sites, i'm definitely the odd man out being a rush fan, and most people think i'm nuts for liking them. on prog websites though of course rush is much more readily accepted.

we're all pretty unique in the weirdo combinations of groups and genres we like. i've come across people online who like so many of the same groups i do, and then they'll also say they love some other group that to me has nothing to do with the other groups and makes no sense to me why they would like it. i imagine however that my tastes are equally unique and in weird combinations to other's eyes...

Goober!

One thread you have seemingly erased from your mind that you started - The Black Eyed Peas!!! Oh how can you have forgotten them?

Interesting fact here and one that I am ashamed to know - their song My Humps - you know the one you love so much - was vote the third best single of the year in the UK recently!

Now that tells you a lot about the state of the music industry don't it? 062802puke_prv.gif

Archived