Great reaction vid

JARG

I have a feeling that this guy’s family does frequent interventions on him..... :lol:

Michael, PLEASE......put the guitar down for a while!

I'm watching him work through the solo now, and he's nailing a lot of it talking about the sus2 and sus4 stuff as being a huge part of Rush's sound.

As I'm thinking about it just in my head, and he's talking about the notes Alex is playing, he's essentially outlining the A minor pentatonic scale played over a Dm Dorian progression, at least in places. That allows Alex to avoid the thirds of Dm and G, and even C if he wants to (if the chord is Csus2.)

I'm not saying the entire solo is in A minor pentatonic, but you can certainly use it for quite a bit of it.

• Like 1

I'm watching him work through the solo now, and he's nailing a lot of it talking about the sus2 and sus4 stuff as being a huge part of Rush's sound.

As I'm thinking about it just in my head, and he's talking about the notes Alex is playing, he's essentially outlining the A minor pentatonic scale played over a Dm Dorian progression, at least in places. That allows Alex to avoid the thirds of Dm and G, and even C if he wants to (if the chord is Csus2.)

I'm not saying the entire solo is in A minor pentatonic, but you can certainly use it for quite a bit of it.

Yup. When Alex bends up to that high E rather than going for the F, which is the minor third where D is the tonal root, he removes the tonality of the chord (major vs. minor) and implies that the chord is sus2.

I wish he would have tuned down to drop D, though. He acknowledged that the song is tuned that way but he didn't feel like retuning for it. He's missing out on the chords during the "how that rabbit feels" sections, how Alex is fingering them like normal chords but the fact that the E string tuned down to D is making them sound different.
  • Like 1

Damn i was just going to say this