Stephen Sondheim has died

Fordgalaxy

He was a 91 year old composer and lyricist. If you don't know who he was, expand our horizons. RIP.

Expand "our" horizons?

You can't even do snarky right.

I wasn't trying to be snarky. Maybe you can't do reading comprehension right?

i didnt read it as snarky. is it wrong that my theatre kid ass thought....yea TRF could use expanding :laughing guy:

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

Everyone knows who Sondheim is.

I don't but I have never been into musicals either so that would likely explain it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

He was a 91 year old composer and lyricist. If you don't know who he was, expand our horizons. RIP.

Expand "our" horizons?

i didnt read it as snarky. is it wrong that my theatre kid ass thought....yea TRF could use expanding :laughing guy:

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

I don't but I have never been into musicals either so that would likely explain it.

There’s the risk using absolutes among a large number of people. Given this is a forum of music fans and the majority of the generations represented here, coupled with Sondheim’s fame. It is reasonable to think the vast overwhelming majority here have at least a vague awareness of Sondheim’s work.

• Like 2

Expand "our" horizons?

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

There’s the risk using absolutes among a large number of people. Given this is a forum of music fans and the majority of the generations represented here, coupled with Sondheim’s fame. It is reasonable to think the vast overwhelming majority here have at least a vague awareness of Sondheim’s work.

most people would at least know send in the clowns that crossed over and became a radio hit. and won an oscar, grammy and a tony.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Expand "our" horizons?

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

most people would at least know send in the clowns that crossed over and became a radio hit. and won an oscar, grammy and a tony.

Mick

Definitely know the song, but no idea he wrote it or that it won all those awards.

• Like 1

Know the name but not sure I know anything he's done so I'll have to check it out.

West Side Story, Sweeney Todd, Into The Woods, Gypsy...

The remake of the former is out in two weeks with Senor Spielbergo directing. I actually picked Maria as my music theater class assignment for my community college in my last semester 8 years ago.

• Like 1

Expand "our" horizons?

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

Mick

Gkol7zT.gif

RIP Sideshow Luke Perry.

• Like 2

Expand "our" horizons?

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

It's all about quality regarding movie adaptations. For every West Side Story there's another Cats and Rock Of Ages.

• Like 1

Expand "our" horizons?

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

It's a SOCN thing. Some people try really hard to denigrate others any chance they get and read into posts trying to do so. :facepalm:

Your complete lack of self awareness is incredible.

Care to explain?

I've been sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He should, and will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, and sympathies to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Stephen.
  • Like 1

Know the name but not sure I know anything he's done so I'll have to check it out.

West Side Story, Sweeney Todd, Into The Woods, Gypsy...

The remake of the former is out in two weeks with Senor Spielbergo directing.

Shudder.
  • Like 1

Expand "our" horizons?

lord i AM a snob, lol

Mick

It's a SOCN thing. Some people try really hard to denigrate others any chance they get and read into posts trying to do so. :facepalm:

Your complete lack of self awareness is incredible.

Care to explain?

:lol:
  • Like 2

I didn’t really start appreciating him until last year, when I heard a piece about Sundays in the Park with George on NPR.

It was a “how have I not paid attention to this” moment.

• Like 2

I didn’t really start appreciating him until last year, when I heard a piece about Sundays in the Park with George on NPR.

It was a “how have I not paid attention to this” moment.

he is brilliant plus i could spend all day listening to him talk. he was endlessly fascinating.

Here's one of my all time fav songs by ANYONE. all genres included

Mick

• Like 1

As the only one here who has played Marcus Lycus and is a Gaslight Theatre two time Charlie Award winner. I'm uniquely qualified to say musical theatre lost it's Shakespeare last night. #ExpandYourHorizons

RIP

My community theater group did Forum many years ago, one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Speaking of Company, not thrilled with the current gender switch on Broadway. I get the desire for equality, blah blah, but I also think some things need to stay as they were.

Speaking of Company, not thrilled with the current gender switch on Broadway. I get the desire for equality, blah blah, but I also think some things need to stay as they were.

Me either. The show's perfect as is. this just feels like a move to please the "Everybody must be represeted" crowd.

however the 06 revival with the actors playing the instruments was great.....i saw it.

it feels nice to talk theatre on TRF rock and the like is great but theatre was my first love.....it's my roots really.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

It is amazing how his music is part of our everyday culture yet so many don't know much about him. I thought I knew a lot until I read the article in NYT and had my mind blown. Going to watch those interviews too, a real American treasure.
  • Like 1